Steelhead Flies At Trout Opener

wschinke

Hey Guys:

I'm brand new to fly fishing, and just wondering what seem to be effective flies right around opener in mid-sized tribs? Roe and worms seem to do well in the spring with a float....so for a fly setup, are yarn flies and "San Juan Worms" typically the way to go? Or are there some nymphs, etc. that would be more effective this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

gotta see whats movin in the water--stone fly hatch might mean stone fly (nymphs ) are on the move--caddis the same thing--early spring mayfly emergers and pupa(larva) will rock it--also never forget the dry fly--try it first cause if they are taking dries off the surface you are in for a treat only fly fisherman get to enjoy.--you also want to have lots of pheasant tail nymphs-hairs ear nymphs-price nymphs etc...these will catch you fish all year..

Know your benthic inverts that are found in the streams, and match the hatch..

I studied inverts for 3 years at school, and last year got a chance to sample a lot of the Niagara's water bodies sampling what was there.... I made myself a list of inverts found on said creeks and water bodies I can match to that...

the creek I'm hitting on opener has a healthy population of heptageniidae (flat headed mayfly) that hatch around opener(or they did last year), so I'd throw the closest thing that resembles that... (Well, if I was a fly-fisherman I would, but ill be using spinning gear on opener. Worms and spinners)

Just like the ones in Im-A-Drifters picture....sucker spawn, in that colour as well as pink and chartruse. I usually do well with those. Cplummer ties up some nice small sucker spawn flies in pink and Niagara gold that have caught me many fish. Brown roe is always good in the spring for me. After about 2nd week of May, I prefer to hang up the steelhead...gear til fall.

I was at the local fly shop recently and Bill Spicer was there (Host of the New Fly Fisher). I asked him what pattern to use on opener and he was pretty emphatic about the Kaufmann Stonefly. He gave me a black and purple/red dubbing mix to use for it and told me to put some long silly legs on it. Also said you don't really need to bother with three wing cases, one is enough

• 2 weeks later...

Archived