Niagara Whirlpool April

YoungYakker

I hear starting around now and through April that the whirlpool produces a great amount of fish in feeding. Any thoughts or tips? If anyone is interested going down the stairs this month a few times send me a message.

Posting this in the kayak fishing section because I want to get to know the kayak fishing crowd. But practicing casts for a bit after the winter may be helpful?

Perhaps during the week as I hear it can be mayhem on the weekends.

hey there, give it a few weeks for this feeding frenzy you speak of. never hurts to go down and give it a try though

• 3 weeks later...

I went out to the pool today as a feeler day for a few hours. The staircase is in good condition, the trail afterward however is extremely muddy right now. There weren't too many easter fisherman like myself. Out of the maybe 8 of us down there I only seen one person pull out a fish while I was there. I didn't get bit and I didn't see any fish in the water or splashing around, There were a few massive blocks of ice and some large pieces of wood floating around... I think a few more weeks maybe mid May the whirlpool will fill up with more potential.

• 10 months later...

I usually try to go on the weekdays. Weekends can get crowded up pretty fast. I usually fish the gorge. Can't say I have been too successful there. Only caught a hand full of fish last year. But have heard of people having great days down there. I have not experienced one of those days though.

I have caught one monster salmon and nothing else. To me its not worth the trek hauling gear. It makes for a nice hike though. Maybe one day in the future I could try again but I have luck elsewhere. Fishing is fishing! Doesn't matter where I am.

Archived