Perch Or Bass....what Is It ?

knightfisher

That's a good graphic.

Thank you. Wasn't hard to find in Google.

And there are no white bass in muddy waters which which white perch prefer. Two different fish.

Clearly you get it as did "fishnhunt" and most here that replied.

Different species under one genus (I think that's the correct terminology). ;)

A lot of debat as to what the devil to call it, but what I want to know is just this: does it taste good? lol

Different tastes for different plates. You have to find out for yourself. To me they are a bit strong.

Different tastes for different plates. You have to find out for yourself. To me they are a bit strong.

Captnn....getting rid of that lateral line goop helps eliminate the strong taste . And an hour soak in milk is supposed to neutralize "fishy" taste .

White perch , white bass , some of the old school names for the same fish , aka walleye and pickerel .

A compromise ........"white fish" :crazy: . In some waters like the 16 Pond , they look "bleached out" , while the Quinte ones have more silver and darker shades to them . They are bros. in the frying pan to me .....very tasty and more meat on them than 10" crappies, or 8" gills .

Captnn....getting rid of that lateral line goop helps eliminate the strong taste . And an hour soak in milk is supposed to neutralize "fishy" taste .

White perch , white bass , some of the old school names for the same fish , aka walleye and pickerel .

A compromise ........"white fish" :crazy: . In some waters like the 16 Pond , they look "bleached out" , while the Quinte ones have more silver and darker shades to them . They are bros. in the frying pan to me .....very tasty and more meat on them than 10" crappies, or 8" gills .

Yeh I know. Also cut as much of the dark red off as I can. Usually give them away and eat walleye.

But they are not the same fish which is the point I'm trying to convey.

Spiel ......sorry ,I didn't make that part about old school clear .......To rephrase that line , " we old schoolers used to call white perch both white bass or white perch" , even though they were always white perch . The only other fish we caught back then ,similar to the white perch were the silver bass. And we never heard of a "pumpinseed" lol We called them "sunfish" , and the others , "bluegills" . After over 60 years of fishing , I slip occasionally and call walleye "pickerel" B) . And thanks for the pictures .

"white fish" is another fish all thogether.

Aha Chris .......A whitefish is different than a "white fish " You gotta watch what that smerch guy says , always playing with words . In this case ,the white perch is a white -ish colour . Have you heard we have "black bass" in the area ? lol

Spiel ......sorry ,I didn't make that part about old school clear .......To rephrase that line , " we old schoolers used to call white perch both white bass or white perch" , even though they were always white perch . The only other fish we caught back then ,similar to the white perch were the silver bass. And we never heard of a "pumpinseed" lol We called them "sunfish" , and the others , "bluegills" . After over 60 years of fishing , I slip occasionally and call walleye "pickerel" B) . And thanks for the pictures .

Thanks for clarifying Smerchly, I should have known I was misinterpreting your intent. :blush:

Archived