Ticks

wainfleet

My dog has gotten two ticks on her so far. I would have thought with the cold winter she would have been safe. FYI check your Furry Friends. She never got any at all last year. Why does she get them now?.

I was hoping the colder winter would kill off the ticks as well as other insects like the emerald ash borer . I suppose they can find well insulated places under heavy snow , leaves or bark to hide out during the cold spell . We will soon know if their numbers were cut .....Ft. Erie area is a hot spot for ticks , hope to hear from those who have had experiences there.

I was hoping the colder winter would kill off the ticks as well as other insects like the emerald ash borer . I suppose they can find well insulated places under heavy snow , leaves or bark to hide out during the cold spell . We will soon know if their numbers were cut .....Ft. Erie area is a hot spot for ticks , hope to hear from those who have had experiences there.

You're right Smerch...Ft.Erie is a hotspot..I work quite a bit on the Creek systems there..found at least 90 on me last year...hopefully there will be less experiences this year..

yes I was hoping to see a big reduction over previous years.1 so far on me in my yard here in Forterie,Last year loaded me with over 50 in about 10' of a walk in my back field before I ran back to the garage to do the strip down.I must of taken 500+ off my retriever last year & that is with the vet's Advantage drops.

I hate those bas#$&ds!!..never know what type of disease they are carrying..(not limited to Lyme's disease either)..just watch the TV show called "Monsters Inside of Me" or "Infested"..I know it's relatively "rare" to acquire one of these diseases..but you just never know!...I've always applied Deet (29.0%) before venturing at work..doesn't seem to have any effect...I've heard of the Permertharin?..but question the effectiveness and associated health risks (can't be applied to skin..just clothes)..I've also learned to strip down of any outer wear that I have worn that day..and keep it outside until laundry day (and will entertain the neighbors)..nothing worse than seeing ticks crawling around in the house where you least expect them...Also check your car seats after returning from infested areas..(clothing to interior)they like to travel..and crawl into crevasses.. next thing you know..2 days after a romp in the woods..you find a tick on you... or in your vehicle.

Drifter was telling me today the ticks were already out. I found that hard to believe, and now just read this post. I also would of thought the cold winter would of had an effect on the numbers.

I usually wash my malinois with a touch of dawn soap in the water, after a day in the wild, before the ticks have a chance to dig in. Kills fleas fast as well. I won't put any recommended chemical soaps or sprays or drops on her.

Over six years I have only had to remove two from her and one from me.

Been out alot lately fishing / preping for turkeys etc and in the same locations as every other year ! Last year by this time id already had a good number on me .... This year zero thus far we will see after this weekend tho as I plan to pretty much live in my blinds until there's a bird down

picked up my first one yesterday in Thorold. Im sure they'll be in full force soon. Always seem to get a few on trout opener

My buddy who is a farmer says that ticks come and go in 7 year cycles , with 2014 being the 7th year in the cycle... After reading and hearing that people are getting ticks already makes me think he could be on to something... Hopefully he is right and next year will have little to no ticks ...

Most insects are cyclical in their life patterns. Take for instance the 7 year cicada, or the 5 year cycle for the eastern tent caterpillar. That being said, environmental conditions can reduce the impact of a cycle peak, or create the perfect storm. Tent caterpillars had a perfect storm peak back around 1990. Road surfaces were so thick with them that they were causing serious crashes. One giant organic oil slick. Last year was the worst I have ever seen ticks. OF course another factor is the reduced usage of insecticides by farmers, municipalities and home owners.

Picked up a some catfishing, could wach them crawling over my boots while in the lawn chair

Last year I had to spray a circle around our spot with bug spray when we parked our asses for the night.

Give them a good scratching ! And pull back against the grain of the hair and watch along the skin ! Hot spots for them are around ears and head ! If u find one make sure u remove it with a good chunk of skin attached to its mouth ( the tick ) then have it tested to make sure it's not carrying anything nasty! I use a good set if tweezers to acheive this ! If u take them to vet that's all they do and they charge you ! Also a little pollysporin didn't hurt after the removal and keep eye out for infection !

Oh no, not happy to hear they are in Thorold :wall: But thankfully I just had my dog totally shaved down. Last year they were horrible but she was also longer. Went for a walk a long the canal and found 10-15 ticks on her!!!

As knightfisher says, use the Dawn dish soap & I also fill up a spray bottle with water & add about 10-15 drops of tea tree oil in it & just spray her before venturing out :D

I had one crawling on me last week, I was hiking the beaverdams area with my dog. She seemed to get away without any

Archived