Ticks 2014

Hey with this harsh winter we just had im guessing it will have affected the amount of ticks to come this spring/...??? any guesses on how bad the ticks will be this year. Last year was brutal every walk with the k9s i was pulllin 10-15 off each of them everytime they would get near tall grass. Was horrible.

I am wishing the same , hope they took a beating this winter . I was also hoping the creeping charlie would be gone as well , but notta ! And I picked another 100 worms tonight .......glad the frost didn't get THEM ! :smiley_campfire-1:

Surprisingly none yet!..but I'm sure there's some (or a lot) to come..(like many others..I had already encountered a lot last year by this time..) but I think everything is delayed somewhat due to weather..Lets see what the next few weeks have to present before we come to any conclusions..(Hopefully there's a significant decrease from the previous few years!)..I know they were out relatively early this year..and that's what scares me..is the worst yet to come?..

As I was walking through some tall grass with the fluffy heads , I noticed they were crawling with little "ticks" . Since I have ticka phobia I nearly freaked ! I stopped dead in my tracks :huh: and took a closer look with my bi-focals and was relieved they were only some kind of small fly like a fruit fly or those knats that are swarming in places already . I took a shot so I could have a closer look on my screen , just to be sure !

there's about 10 bugs on this grass

SAM_4140.JPG

As I was walking through some tall grass with the fluffy heads , I noticed they were crawling with little "ticks" . Since I have ticka phobia I nearly freaked ! I stopped dead in my tracks :huh: and took a closer look with my bi-focals and was relieved they were only some kind of small fly like a fruit fly or those knats that are swarming in places already . I took a shot so I could have a closer look on my screen , just to be sure !

there's about 10 bugs on this grass

SAM_4140.JPG

LOL so what your syaing is you walked through all this grass and no ticks , im happy :clapping::clapping::clapping:

LOL so what your syaing is you walked through all this grass and no ticks , im happy :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Well , I went back today to slay the carp , with no success , except for a 1 lb. catfish . I fished two spots for a couple hrs. each . When I got home I felt something crawling under my jeans just below the knee ......sure enough it was a tick . I pulled it off easily & gave it a nice soap bath . Maybe they will be bad again this year ....... :(

this is the one that I got today.....

SAM_4176.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first few this weekend turkey hunting. Nothing on the first day, then day two I must've walked through their nest because when I got home they were every where. Pulled one out of my back, several off my pants, found two more in the car the next day.

Will be retreating the hunting clothes with permetherin this week before going back out again.

Ticks are a fact of life outside the urban areas. And the available sprays and preventatives are anything but 100% effective.

There are some natural predators that eat fleas , mostly birds , but there are also nematodes that eat them . .....maybe we need to get the mnr to release a few billion in the woods......this link is one of many on the subject ......

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070331040021AA7NPiM

We were sampling by Black Creek last week, and in about 5 minutes I had 5 crawling on me... and the grass wasn't that long in the place where we were...

Archived