Looking To Start

jackz905

i am currently looking at getting a kayak to start fishing out of could anyone recomend a good yak at a cheap price i want to be able to go in small water plus the big waters of lake o

I decided to start with a pre-owned kayak. This way if I don't like the sport I can always unload it for close to the same price as I paid. But that's not the case, I love the sport. Maybe in a few years once mine has seen better days I will invest in something better and something that suits all my needs. Once you own one you realize everything you want in a kayak. So my advice is to buy a pre-owned kayak. Or if you feel comfortable buying new and $1000 is not a lot of money, look into wilderness systems. Everyone on here will say to avoid cheap kayaks because its more worth it in the end to buy something of higher quality. Im glad I bought a wilderness system. When you're all set up, shoot me a message!

get a sit on top, you lose a bit of stability but gain in everything else.

if your just thinking inshore spring fishing (<50ft) on lake o and inshore bass on erie any yak will do. it you want to downrig in 200 get something 13 ft or longer with a big beam and capcity.

i am thinking of getting rid of my first yak instead of taking it north to the camp monday. if your interested it's a jackson coosa. it's been used and has scratches from launch/landing and mounting holes plugged from the old sonar and scotty mounts. it comes with a elite 4 on ram mount and home made rail trac system with 2 scotty bases(no holders). mid way in your price range. it would be a good starter for you

DSCF0218Large.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showforum=110 Our sponsor, Outdoors Oriented should be able to answer all your questions Jack.

Do they have trade ins ? Some yakkers start out cheap and move on to better yaks ....just as we do with most fishing gear ..... :dunno: ....prob. not , but they may be able to talk you into getting something they know is safe & reliable . You would not regret it . :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the plug guys, we rarely have used sit on tops, just some recreational and touring models at the end of the year when we sell off our rentals.

jackz905 - I just posted up some info on a special we're running on Tarpon 120 Angler's right now. They're $899 plus tax, so definitely above your preferred budget, but an option if you decide to splurge :)

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30803

Thanks for the plug guys, we rarely have used sit on tops, just some recreational and touring models at the end of the year when we sell off our rentals.

jackz905 - I just posted up some info on a special we're running on Tarpon 120 Angler's right now. They're $899 plus tax, so definitely above your preferred budget, but an option if you decide to splurge :)

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30803

check your inbox.

sit on tops are amazing and way more comfortable. Don't worry about falling in, they are very stable. 31" + in width is best.
I would buy the tarpon 120, that's a crazy good deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that a sit on top has many great advantages. They are really stable. You can pack a lot of gear (more than you need). I have Nucanoe Frontier 12, which takes my son and I with all our gear, without a problem. Good luck in your hunt.

I love having a sit on top because I can move my legs in a 180 degree swing of area, put my feet in the water etc. very comfortable. Also there is plenty of room infront of you for handling the fish and your bait or lures. There is plenty of storage right behind which is extremely accessible. With sit ins there isn't as much room, and we all know how much crap we need to go fishing hahaha! I rarely get wet in my sit on top aswell, definitely something to be concerned about during the cold months but not in the summer. No regrets. Most people on here have a sit on top I imagine. From the pictures I have seen and the advice I have received. Good luck!

This is good question to ask and it depends on how you plan to use your kayak. If you are just doing some casual day fishing, a sit on top is great, but they don't work for me. I have a sit in (Old Town Vapour 12x) and I just got back from a week long camping/fishing trip on a river up north, and probably wouldn't have done the same trip with a sit on. I used to do canoe/fishing trips but didn't want to portage the canoe anymore so looked into the kayaks, the Jackson Coosa was the first kayak I looked into that got me excited, but I go for long trips and took my dog with me this time and in the Old Town Vapour she had plenty of room to sit, I could pack all my camping/fishing gear into it and keep it dry, and there is the option to use a skirt to keep yourself dry if it starts raining and/or to keep the sun off your legs (I've spent up to 6 hours out in the kayak, and you can burn really bad if exposed to the sun that long). I still would like a sit on kayak as well for the advantage of lighter day trips and being able to stand up and fish. Before I bought the Vapour I almost bought the Wilderness Systems Commander (Outdoors Oriented sells this) which is like a canoe/kayak hybrid and would easily store all my gear and fit my dog or one of my kids. I know a lot of people prefer to fish out of the sit on kayaks, but for me a sit in kayak makes more sense for all the trips I like to do. The vapour I have is on clearance at SAIL in burlington for 399.00 (from 699.00!). The other cool thing with the vapour is the big dash board, lots of potential for custom rigging fish finders, extra rod holders, what ever you want...could probably mount a trolling motor to it as well. Let us know if you've already bought one...this post is actually pretty old now...

This is good question to ask and it depends on how you plan to use your kayak. If you are just doing some casual day fishing, a sit on top is great, but they don't work for me. I have a sit in (Old Town Vapour 12x) and I just got back from a week long camping/fishing trip on a river up north, and probably wouldn't have done the same trip with a sit on. I used to do canoe/fishing trips but didn't want to portage the canoe anymore so looked into the kayaks, the Jackson Coosa was the first kayak I looked into that got me excited, but I go for long trips and took my dog with me this time and in the Old Town Vapour she had plenty of room to sit, I could pack all my camping/fishing gear into it and keep it dry, and there is the option to use a skirt to keep yourself dry if it starts raining and/or to keep the sun off your legs (I've spent up to 6 hours out in the kayak, and you can burn really bad if exposed to the sun that long). I still would like a sit on kayak as well for the advantage of lighter day trips and being able to stand up and fish. Before I bought the Vapour I almost bought the Wilderness Systems Commander (Outdoors Oriented sells this) which is like a canoe/kayak hybrid and would easily store all my gear and fit my dog or one of my kids. I know a lot of people prefer to fish out of the sit on kayaks, but for me a sit in kayak makes more sense for all the trips I like to do. The vapour I have is on clearance at SAIL in burlington for 399.00 (from 699.00!). The other cool thing with the vapour is the big dash board, lots of potential for custom rigging fish finders, extra rod holders, what ever you want...could probably mount a trolling motor to it as well. Let us know if you've already bought one...this post is actually pretty old now...

Use sunscreen and apply more than once. No substitute for a SOT yak for fishing.

Jackson Coosa is a bear to paddle, stick with yaks under 32" wide if you plan long distance trips, and go with pedal drive if you like hands free fishing.

The best thing you need to do is come to some store where have demo.

You need to try which kayak is comfortable for you.

Usually on demo, they will have sit in and also sit on top.

Try all of them, so you will know which one better.

My self I have SOT from Jackson Coosa, also have Hybrid from Wilderness Commander 120.

Hybrid mean is mix between kayak and Canoe.

I don't really like with Sit in, because not much room for me to move around, special with my big belly.

Also agree with other members said, Sit on top have a lot of room to put all stuff and gear, and also you can standing when you want to casting.

Sit in also you can stand, but more hard due limited space.

So, like I mention above, you need to know what you will carry when you want to go with kayak, and after you know how much you will bring with you everytime you go fishing with kayak, then before you decide to buy, go try it on every kayak where have demo, so you know which one is comfort for you and usedable for you. After all, you decide want to get new kayak or get used kayak.

Archived