Welland River Weekend

basskicker09

FishingFeldie and myself decided to fish the river this weekend trying our bucktail harnesses fast and slow trolling them to see what we could get and we ended up slaying them our total walleye was 8 with only one being under 18 inches

005_zps2cd991d8.jpg

010_zps890ae810.jpg

012_zps7bf8f732.jpg

014_zps03f76a1b.jpg

and caught quite a few bass both large and smallmouth a couple really nice ones to boot

017_zps61c6beaf.jpg

and one small pike

021_zps2497fe05.jpg

and catfish!

002_zps99db74e2.jpg

001_zpsb9992b6b.jpg

lost a couple monsters tat would not give up the fight never got to see them even after a few min on the line. All fish were caught on white bucktail harnesses made by my father and I.

Great post. Love it when there are lots of pictures accompanying the post. Didn't realize how plentiful walleye were in the river. Looks like you had a couple of great days on the water!

Nice fish. Looks like you have the walleye fishing nailed. Never tried bucktail harnesses, a buddy bought a few at a show and never used them. Might have to borrow them and give it a try. Great post.

Dogg

I hope it isn't another small spot that will soon be fished out. Almost 500 views on this thread and guys probably on google earth right after. I don't mind sharing information but have caught a few lately and pleasantly surprised since I grew up fishing Chippewa Creek/Welland River and nice to see a few walleye.

I'm surprised we haven't got the "how do I get there from Hamilton" posts yet.

MNR have been socking the welland river since 05' I think, something like 200,000 walleye. They were native to the river but died off due to pollution and over fishing. The river is cleaned and the fish are loving it one small step :)

Fishing the river can be tricky. First you have the jet skis doing rings around your boat. Then there are some wakeboarders who like to think they own the river.

Fishing the river can be tricky. First you have the jet skis doing rings around your boat. Then there are some wakeboarders who like to think they own the river.

i here that bigugli a few days ago i was at the welland river i had 2 guys on jet skis running around me i didnt pay any attention to the but i think you know what i wanted

to do they thought it was a big joke the ignorance in people is unreal or i should say very real

i here that bigugli a few days ago i was at the welland river i had 2 guys on jet skis running around me i didnt pay any attention to the but i think you know what i wanted

to do they thought it was a big joke the ignorance in people is unreal or i should say very real

I think that was the main reason they shut down the rec. canal to boaters .....canoes, yaks , jet skis , small boats and big boats together on narrow waterways was an accident waiting to happen ....not much difference at the Welland River with narrow passage and bends . That may change in time .......Fish from shore , much safer .

I find this happening more and more around waters. At henley, the rowers love aiming for fishing lines, and at jordan harbour the canoers seem to tend to try to go over the lines when they see me reeling in hurriedly to let them by.

My co worker told me last year he was fishing in a boat on grand river and some rec boaters went right by him seeming to try to overturn him. They ended up snaging his line in their motor somehow and got it all tangled up. They started freaking out on him like it was his fault they went by too close.

I like what Ricky said sometimes the only way to get a MSG across it the " ol fashioned" way but be careful these days the laws are diff ... Also fishing off dain city .. I had a rowing coach have a bird on me for fishing while they where practicing !!! I laughed and asked him if he owned the canal and he said " yes the rowing club does" lol I am well aware they do not own it and proceeded to tell him I always reel my line up upon approaching boats but he continued to argue ! Back to fishing I went and turned my back .. On the way back he yelled out to remove my line from the water ( which it already was ) and still proceeded to yell and then curse at me ... I'm the kind of guy to take it so far and snap lol soooo as he got close to bridge .. Still cursing at me I plunked my 1/2 oz sinker and 2 hook drop shot rig in his boat and upon trying to grab line I set the hook !!! Bammm huge fish (person ) on .. Lol he screamed and cut my line and went onward with a hook in his arm and cursing ! I do not condone doing what I did but this guy truly deserved it !!! And most if the tine the rowers are thankful and polite about us reeling up as they come and go !!

Archived