October-Salmon River Trip

schnipster

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey as most of you guys know I mostly fish NY tribs. And pretty much have fished it all. As for the salmon river some of the biggest salmon run up that river including some massive bows and browns. I can tell you guys from first hand that a pin and fly rod will be a very impractical way to fish there. For a few reasons...

Reason #1:

Fish there are big and if you go in October 90% of the fish are salmon so you will be hooking into boots most of the trip and I hooked many there and it like being snagged on a rock if they decide to sit in one spot there is no moving it. And if they decide to run well then say bye to your gear.

REASON #2: people!!!! People everywhere and Dave it's just like Alcott, NY only there is more private property there so people are forced to fish in iceolated areas as not many land owners want garbage, line, and hooks where there kids and pets play. Also this will happen as it happened to me countless times where you finally hook into a steelhead and you yell fish on and everyone pretends to to not hear you. And cast there 2lb concoction made up of lead,hooks, and bottle tabs (look up on youtube "burt damn bottle tab") anyways you end up tangling with 20 other lines and everyone plays dumb and they cut your line.

Reason #3:

I have heard this from a few people already and has happened to my uncle who lives here in Canada. Everywhere you go there are people that think this fishing place belongs to them and that this is there back yard and who are these Canadians fishing my river. Unfortunately my uncles truck was vandalized, broke into and robbed. A

On you side of his truck it said "stupid canadian" and the other said "our water, don't come back" so this was one incident not saying it will happen to everyone but something to keep in mind if you bring lots if equipment as my uncle did and had 3 very high end rod and pins taken.

So I'm giving you guys my experience, and my opinion wait untill the salmon are gone, say beginning to mid november. Good luck to those who go. But this is the month I usually go as there are way less peoplet, hunting season if in full swing and brown hens come in to spawn.

Hey Matt, we are not planning to go until Nov 13. We have already been there last year. Unfortunately water was running low and lasts years run was not very good. I did manage to hook one in Altmar that broke me off and a small jack at the school house run. We spent a good deal of time figuring out all the pools that killed a lot of time for us. Its a beautiful river. Im sure mid Nov still be some boots hanging around but not all the crazys. Lots of river to fish there...we found all the runs have people, but if you walk away from the park/fish spots theres lots of good fishable water. Learned a few things from the first visit there. The town is pretty cool really....big time fishing town with lots of tackle shops all over the place. Never had any problem with the locals because most the salmon are done by mid nov and hunting season opens. Its a good time buddy...you should come with us.We had a few laughs toured around the town and couple beers after fishing....its an allright place. Very tricky river to wade though....studs on your boots are a must. Rocks in that river are like grease. Its a great fishing town when the salmon slayers are gone.

spent the last few weekend hitting some backcountry lakea for bass...i have 2 more weeks for brookies and then i am ready for the world of frozen everything and good laughs...salmon river is a bratty old female dog...lol

on my way to fishog lake boys...see ya at the salmon. or thr clave? whens the clave???

Hey don't say that Tyler, youll hurt his feelings...lol. Still waiting to hear if my brother is good for Nov13th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
48 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Well guys this time of year is coming. I say we do it again. Every year is getting better lol.  3rd time is a charm or 3 strikes n were out. 

Or a new trip?

Id still go Tyler, but not until Nov. Dont want to tangle with the salmon slayers. Hopefully there would be better steelhead run this year. None the less...least we know a few more runs now and have that advantage.

I'm actually pretty pumped about it.

well I'm down for nov 12 or 26 weekend  

All of Nfn are invited. It's a fun weekend away. Need a NY LICENSE If interested.  Let us know if interested. 

Targeting stealhead 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I'm actually pretty pumped about it.

well I'm down for nov 12 or 26 weekend  

All of Nfn are invited. It's a fun weekend away. Need a NY LICENSE If interested.  Let us know if interested. 

Targeting stealhead 

Do you remember the name of that place we stayed at? It was a good price really compared to other places.

So we are looking at ohio. The rocky and the chagrin rivers. My brothers looking into things and will advise as soon as we can figure it out. If you never fished these rivers...it gets a major run of fish. The other river is the grand in ohio. Distance wise closer than the salmon river. Our suspicion is that lake O is poor runs like last year. 

Archived