October-Salmon River Trip

schnipster

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dave--are you talking the flies with long rubbery legs hanging off of the hook?

Yes sir. Simple and easy...

Hahaha 5-8" snow today...3-5" tommorow in Pulaski. Love it......3 degree sat. Going to bring the gopro so hopefull schnip shows me how it works. Good times , good friends a few laughs and hopefully some chrome....cant beat that !!

You never missed much...hooked 2 lost them both. Water crystal clear and running very low. 6" snow on the ground. Very very few hookups by anyone. We fished every pool and run the salmon river has pretty much..Tough fishing all around for all of us. Great little town though...must be a fishing store every 50 yds. Some of the most well stocked stores i have ever seen anywhere. Sure put on some miles today....apparently this river fishes best at 750 cfs. Its running at 350 cfs. Wading is a nightmare and studs on your boots are not an option....without them your swimming for sure and this is only 350cfs...cant even imagine wading it at high flows. Like walkiing on rocks covered in grease...crazy. We had some good laughs and wish we had better success, but thats fishing. Id do it again now that im more familar with the river..lost a lot of time scouting. Good times non the less.

I never even pulled out the camera....Tyler can testify how slippery the rocks are. He went down once but was lucky and never got too wet. Disapointing for sure after such a long drive. Fished burt on the way home today...was garbage. Hooked 2 small browns....same senerio...crystal clear no flow and the lowest i ever ever have seen it. Like a trickle of water. Ruben hooked a brown on a san juan worm but lost it and Andrew hooked a boot down in the frog water. Crap conditions....max 20 cars in the parking lot. And 12 of those fishing the dam...lol. sorry guys wish we had more to offer, but did not think pictures of the shoreline would interest you...lol. drift boats coming down the salmon river every 2 mins. Any fish that are not spooked with the clear water and the gaunlet they have to go through are spooked by the steel drifters bumping thier way down river. I will go back maybe end of Dec and give it another go....truly a fishermans town no doubt about it.

I want to go back there again for sure. Im off between Christmas and new years if anyone wants to give it another go. They are supposed to raise the levels this week and that should scatter fish and bring in some fresh ones. I think its a beautiful river and now that we know it a little better, i have a few places in mind that i would shoot straight to at first light. Id like to have 3 days of solid fishing with higher flows...think it be great river. Big game opened sat....so half the hillbillies are gone now.

i am also off--see you then dave...

that pig i hooked into spat my hook after lighting up my reel for a good few minutes--sad it didnt land but man what a fighter--andrews pig was huge--looked like a fresher version of the other boots in the water--thing jumped about 6 times.

Archived