October-Salmon River Trip

schnipster

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear you folks bombed. I might be up for a day trip in December.

Long drive for a day trip. Was told by a few locals the bite switches to black wooly buggers and stone fly types in Dec Jan. I never concider fishing a bomb...i hooked a real nice one in the morning, but these fish are insanely tough fighters. That and the fact we all were green on the area and where to go. We probably lost several hours scouting extremely clear poor fishing conditions. This was evident by what others were catching....i seen one other guy hook a fish all day. The fish are extremely pounded and spooked...and the constant drift boats coming down make it even worse...higer coloured water would have been preffered. Im never down on a poor day fishing...fresh air plenty excercise and hopefully better luck next time. Every day cant be great...

that is the main thing--the rivers were beautiful--and the hook ups were there just nothing landed and if the tug is the drug then we got the drug...

dave not this coming weekend but the following i am hitting the that river above the golf course for some spey style extravaganza.

Stupid question but did no one look at the water charts before going?

I knew it was running at 350, and probably would have been ok had it not been crystal clear. Im told it fishes best at about 750. Not knowing the river i did ask questions around but its still tough without first scouting it for yourself. Be more sucessfull next time with seeing places that look promising. Flow dont really mean much if you dont know what the ideal flow is...lol. I really like the place though and after hooking up first couple drifts in the morning i was thinking its going to be good....not so. I like the town and all the runs and next time will work out better. We were also booked at hotel regardless of conditions

• 9 months later...

Round two any one?

Id be up to it again. Now we know the river a little better. Less scouting to do.

Schnipster said he could go anytime. My brother and I would also go. Lets throw some dates around Tyler.

Tyler, are you going to stay over this time? Im planning to stay Fri/Sat night fish the weekend. Just waiting on other guys to see if the 13th works. I can hardly wait for the Pulaski ponderosa..mmmm hahaha.

I will be at the Clave Tom. Pretty sure my wife will want to give me lessons...lol. She really has picked it up and does great with her casting. I want to get her into some good fishing opportunity now and see if she can hit a fish.

Archived