Fly Fishing Florida.

DaveC

Due to a change of plans my yearly Nipissing adventure is off, and im heading to Naples Florida this saturday ( medical problems in the family) was thinking of taking my switch rod and see if i can find some local places to fish if i get a chance. Does anyone have any advice? What about beach or coastal inlets i could try? I will be on the gulf side and i know a few inlets beside the beaches. Thanks...

the funnest time will be inland in the freshwter ponds--peacock bass are like catching a bass with anger issues that looks like a picasso///and remember even if you walk with your rod on the bach rinse it like you own it after --the salt is the devil--and your line will be a bit floppy not because of the warmt like we have here but the water is alsoalot warmer..so your loops will collaps easier )in my experience) have fun--peacocks love canadian flies...lol near naples is also places to get out and hit tarpon--make sure your rod is a 30wt though those fish will pull you down the street and make an 9 wt cry

Fished tarpon thier twice now....skunked both times even putting bait on thier nose. Snook are crazy fighters as well but we fished them from a boat in the mangroves.Been doing research online seems like the beaches and the passes in the morning and evening might be worth a try. Looking up patterns suggestions are sparse clousers in chart/white and white schminnows. . Gonna whip some together tonight. I always buy a license....worst case senerio is a good tan or sunburn...lol....well see!!!

Thanks guys, the family comes first....everything else is secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

Never ended up bringing my fly rod as advised by my brother-in-law....too darn hot. We did take a half day charter out party boat fishing though. We caught 28 keeper fish that included mostly snapper, a couple of mango snapper and 2 grouper just under the legal 20" keeper size..figured it all out to be about $25 lb....lol. Dont know how people handle the heat down here...so darn hot and humid i cant wait to get home. They use telephone pole size fishing rods on these party boats with 40lb test to catch 2lb fish. We had 60 people on the boat with $2 pool for biggest fish...a barely "20 inch stretched out grouper won the pool. Boring fishing too me...but none the less it was fishing and having a few beers and a fish fry for dinner, btw the fish tasted great. One puffer fish was caught onboard and one dogfish which are apparently poisonis. Fun all the same....can see why people dont come here during the summer...crazy hot!!!

My family member is doing well and us being here for her has her spirits lifted and shes on the mend. Thankyou for your well wishes!!

family getting better- sweet

fishing without a fly rod on hand--i am troubled HAHAHAHA

look at the bright side you werent out salmon fishing --the waters are starting to fill up with idiots

again happy to hear family is good. NOW LETS GET SOME BROWNS IN NEW YORK

Archived