This Weekend...

schnipster

Haha....think you could of held on for 8 seconds? Haha....was good to get out for sure. Still early and maybe we are a little too anxious but it should pick up soon. All that rain made the conditions less than ideal. Lets do it again in the near future for sure.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should all descend on the lower Niagara and take over the whirlpool. Hehehe. Get a half-dozen spey rods swinging. Of course, that's no place for the 4 weight. But my 10 would rock there.

Im game for that Ron, my 9wt would work there...lol ( Just have to figure out who's going to piggy back me back up the hill )

Wouldn't mind a trip to those parts either. Dave's got a feather-inlayed rod that I wanna see. One day soon I hope. :-)

I thought I sent the pics to your phone?? Its a Kingpin 5-10 float rod though.....or otherwise known by some people as a crutch. :P

If you guys ever arrange something for the lower Grand give me a shout. I can't get to far right now, but I'd love to get out for a bit.

Tom, do you know the lower grand very well below Caledonia dam?? Some good water to swing for steel? Ive only fished above Caledonia mostly because i dont know the lower at all, except the actual dam itself.

To be honest Dave, I don't know it nearly well enough. It's big, low-visibility water, so finding fish can be difficult. They'll stack up at the dam, but the dam quickly becomes a gong show and I can only imagine trying to cast in that madness. I do know of a few holes (mainly by wading myself into trouble), but have not really connected with the fish while fly fishing. I'm self-taught as well, so I need to build some confidence that my techniques are getting the fly in front of the fish because then it just become a game of odds.

I'd be willing to head up Brantford or Cambridge way if people know that water better,

i just got my grubby hands on a 10ft7 7wt loop opti switch style rod spun with a lamson speedster 3.5 on it...why am i posting this --well i had zero plans to get yet another rod however after rolld casting daves scott switch from zone 16 to zone 18 i had to get a switch rod for those "tighter" waters...thanks dave..thanks

i just got my grubby hands on a 10ft7 7wt loop opti switch style rod spun with a lamson speedster 3.5 on it...why am i posting this --well i had zero plans to get yet another rod however after rolld casting daves scott switch from zone 16 to zone 18 i had to get a switch rod for those "tighter" waters...thanks dave..thanks

Oh sure...blame me...lol. Now Im not saying I know anything, but I bet your Loop evotech would be amazing with a skagit head vs that scandi and a better shooting line. Wait until you try my 9wt Loomis....that thing just bombs it out there. Way too much for even the notty...be great Niagara or Saugeen rod.

Hey schnip....like you need more rods???LOL How about some new waders? :tease:

To be honest Dave, I don't know it nearly well enough. It's big, low-visibility water, so finding fish can be difficult. They'll stack up at the dam, but the dam quickly becomes a gong show and I can only imagine trying to cast in that madness. I do know of a few holes (mainly by wading myself into trouble), but have not really connected with the fish while fly fishing. I'm self-taught as well, so I need to build some confidence that my techniques are getting the fly in front of the fish because then it just become a game of odds.

I'd be willing to head up Brantford or Cambridge way if people know that water better,

I know the Cambridge water pretty good...but its mainly bass. Think I know the Brantford water better now by summer fishing it. I know the holes and probable spots for steelies but I still don't have all the pieces yet...CRAIG do you hear me...lol

There is a creek that runs into the grand in brantford/paris area. You guys should try fishing there.(trout alley) I see ppl "Spey" fishing it all the time. (I think that's what it's called).(two handed fly rod pretty much).

That would be whitemans tyler...i know it well and fish above and below it all the time. i spey there quite often. For obvious reasons its closed to fishing sept 30th. If you fish down there much you may have seen me in a light blue pontoon. The cool part about some of the good water down there is limited access....trout alley is part of the protected section of prefered water of the grand and is single barbless c&r. Great bass fishing in the summer and fall....but im after my first chrome on the swing. Im hoping for it as i fish there this fall. Buying the drift boat was a great investment....so much fun and solitude.

Oh sure...blame me...lol. Now Im not saying I know anything, but I bet your Loop evotech would be amazing with a skagit head vs that scandi and a better shooting line. Wait until you try my 9wt Loomis....that thing just bombs it out there. Way too much for even the notty...be great Niagara or Saugeen rod.

Hey schnip....like you need more rods???LOL How about some new waders? :tease:

ok so..oddly enough i loaded my rod with airflo short head 570 grain skagit line last night---the switch will have scandi on it for nymping and lighter streamers and suchh that skagit line is gonna hit the shore for sure--and as far as the waders go--they are not the probem its all the omlettes---my ass squeezes into those babys like a diving suit..but who wants to dump a g note into waders when i can buy more rods....hahahah see you on the ater sooner than you think..i hope

dave, larry and i are looking to hit the some brookies and browns this weekend...you must join..actually you should all join ///even tom...PS remember to have fedex not leave you at the door, we wouldnt want you getting stolen if there is no one there to sign for you.

Archived