New Toy!

ron4blues

My employer has a points program for employees where we can purchase pretty well anything that is available on-line in Canada once enough points are accumulated.

I had enough points built up to consider a new fly combo. I settled on a Wind River combo from Cabela's. It just arrived and although I haven't christened it yet, I like it already.

It is an 8'6" 4 weight combo. The rod is unbelievably light and has a really nice wood handle. I was expecting a cheaply made plastic or stamped metal reel, but got a nicely made cast aluminum job with what looks like an actual drag (unusual on a small low-end reel. It came with a WF line and backing, although I'm going to replace it with a DT line.

Nicest thing about it is the price ($0.00)!

Now I have a light rod to go along with my big guns.

Tried it out yesterday. It casts well with the WF, but I'm ordering a DT because I think it should roll cast better. I can't believe how light this combo is! A bit of a challenge in anything more than a light breeze.

That's why I got it, schnipster. When I travel to N.S. I fish brookies in some streams that you could step across. Plus I fish in some areas where a conventional cast isn't practical or possible: I find a DT roll casts more easily.

i just bought a butterstick 3wt--speaking of small streams and put the trout LT DT line on it--wow--casint for brookies, i feel like i am at the opera- the only thing is if you are used to fast rods and have a on-the-fast-side cast stroke you best take some LSD before you cast this thing--slow and easy baby..lol coach you ever hit the forks?

Sorry man, I don't think the 1492 will have the line capacity. I'm going to put on a 6wt or 7wt line based on the review from the Fiberglass Manifesto, and I'll need some backing if I end up hooking into some golden bonefish.

Archived