The Great Fall Annual Debate--Welcome To The Jungle

schnipster

to floss or not to floss--i love how these forums have this debate every year this time--all the looney tunes shake off the ring rust and come out to play with the 20ft leaders-tarpon hooks....i am a firm believe of one thing and that is-

chinook salmon are not feeding and dont give a crap what u toss at them they want to make babies and gracefully become river bank fertilizer in the most efficient manner possible. they do not strike because they are having a bad day and they certainly aren't hungry..they are in fact slowly dying....anyone want to give me something here---change my mind--i love the debates--lets be friendly (( i only say this as on other forums grown men have wept tears of joy at the possibility of meeting face to face with their opposers)

IMO if my idea was off one could not catch the same fish with a bag of roe, an earplug, a cigarette but (dumaurier) and a cleo with all its brilliance....

Yup. Salmon do not feed while migrating to their spawning sites. I'm suprised there's a debate at all, being that biologists have been telling us this for years. A salmon will strike reflexively at a fly or lure, but not out of hunger.

And salmon aren't the only ones! Try getting a carp to take when all it wants to do is make baby carp!

you think they strike at all is the question? i think they get snagged..a good run comes in guys start catching them steady--lines floating in the water and 100 fish go by one is gonna get it in his open panting mouht no? could be wrong...

Come on Schnip. Foam earplugs tied on trebles can be found in antique fly wallets all over the UK.

Besides, they are doing the fish a favor by giving them a good floss before meeting up with the opposite sex. Imagine the embarrassment if they had a piece of baitfish in their teeth while trying to pick up ladies on the redds.

Do you think if we cranked some Marvin Gaye and Barry Manilow in the popular spots it would help? Keep the hosers at bay, and give the fish some mood music....

I used to think the same thing....however salmon will take skein early on, and will strike out of aggression. Do they like marsh mellows no? Ear plugs no.....those are flossed. Having said that steelies fished with beads are often hooked outside the mouth. So if a steelie hooked outside the mouth is good.....then a boot hooked outside the mouth must be good. Not my style, but tough to debate the two. Both fish hooked outside the mouth. And i know guys that are pros at lining through the mouth. I think each person can decide for themselves.....I worry about what i do.

i just laughed out loud.. now that is worth you getting expidited deliery when you come with us fishing, HAHA..a couple of guys at the office were talking about fishing for salmon and how they goteggs.. but imagine how the first scne of that show rolled out----50lb braid--tarpon hook--retrieving--hooksets that make a bass master look like they are knitting booties for the blind and a huge knife--enter carcass floating down stream still alive with 15 inch slice from anus to eyeballs//but they proudly spoke of thier license....i swear where is michael moore when we need him.

Years ago I watched a documentary that showed how salmon srtike. They used underwater cameras attached to downriggers (it was the West Coast). Most of the takes were purely reflexive. The fish would see the lure for a heartbeat before striking. Not predatory or feeding behaviour at all. Having fished Atlantics on the East Coast I can also say that on a swing (fly fishing only down there), a salmon definitely does not get a good look before taking: they only have the fly in sight for a second or so before its gone.

As for snaggers, well I don't have a lot of love for them. Nor do I care for anyone who would kill a fish just for the roe and let the carcass spoil. Not only is it illegal, but it is morally and ethically wrong. And it gives anglers as a group a bad name. When I was learning to hunt and fish I was taught "kill it, you eat it." Simple enough to understand and a good rule to live by.

Iv tossed cranks in the pool and had salmon smash it, as well as seen my buddy float skien on a trout hook and caught then legally, all hooked well on the inside of the mouth with a steelhead setup. But when it comes to small streams and creeks ect I feel most are hooked by snag or Floss. It's a tough debate because the flossers/snaggers are so persistant that 3 way set up with a big hook and a mellow is what they are hitting on.

Archived