Skaters, Wakers And Other Stuff On Top.

iHasFish

Anyone ever have luck with big top water flies for steelhead or salmon? I see so many videos of huge bows in Alaska or BC taking mouse patterns on the swing (vimeo.com/m/106022738) and I want it so bad to happen in the great lakes tribs.

Hatchery fish just aren't as aggressive I'm thinking. What's everyone think? Craiger I'm looking at you.

We must follow the same people on facebook lol I just watched that movie today!

West coast is more well known for steelies eating dries and the east is know for there atlantics....

our great lakes tribs specifically steelhead alley has started to make a name for itself in the last 5 years or so. Before 10 years ago a steelhead on a dry in the great lakes was considered a pipe dream.

Specific conditions are needed for it to happen, its knowing what to look for when your on the river and making the adjustment. I personally always have a rod rigged with a dry so its ready to go when the time arises.

lol pun intended :)

A great Atlantic salmon pattern known as the bomber will work for you, especially if you tie it on with a riffle hitch. The big bushy Wulff patterns will do the job too!

The bomber is just a cigar-shaped spun deer hair body with a white tail and wing, and about 5 turns of hackle wound evenly spaced from back to front.

Little off topic but I've had lake run browns completely attack my float on retrieve on more than one occasion when they re in. So don't see your idea being overly far fetched. They are definitely the most aggressive of all our migratory fish IMO

A great Atlantic salmon pattern known as the bomber will work for you, especially if you tie it on with a riffle hitch. The big bushy Wulff patterns will do the job too!

The bomber is just a cigar-shaped spun deer hair body with a white tail and wing, and about 5 turns of hackle wound evenly spaced from back to front.

I've tied a few variants of the bomber. There's no hackle, add deer hair wings out the side and throw on a piece of foam from front to back with a lip up front. Skates and pops quite nicely. Haven't gotten it wet enough for steel but bass seem to like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard of guys catching the odd steelhead on dries in the Catt. I've had fish hit my strike indicator while drifting wooly buggers and nymphs in the Catt. That being said I would try a bright coloured bomber such as chartreuse or orange.

Archived