Credit

DaveC

Took a walk down to the credit at Burnhathorpe, what a place...trash everywhere even right beside the garbage cans. I cant even stomach that place anymore....hillbillies everywhere chasing zombie salmon around in 12" of water. You could film a classic funniest home videos with the stuff that goes on down there. Fly reel on a six foot solid fibreglass BRIGHT RED rod drifting a piece of green yarn with a 1/2 oz weight and 1.0 hook. The gong show is on..lol

As a guy who won't even let that 1" piece of mono hit the ground after trimming a knot, this sort of thing sickens me. I wonder what the hillbillies would do if the MNR declared these rivers to be fly-only in the Fall. Somehow I doubt the yahoos would like it.

"I'd never claim that fly anglers have never made a mess. But a fly-only restiction would reduce the poaching and the miles of trash mono left on the banks"

It looks like you only see what you want to see. Fly anglers are no better or worse than spin or float anglers. To claim otherwise you are only blinded by not being able to see past your nose that's stuck too high in the air.

That ivory tower crumbled a long time ago.

I'd never claim that fly anglers have never made a mess. But a fly-only restiction would reduce the poaching and the miles of trash mono left on the banks.

it will reduce the anglers on the water but poachers gonna poach. They wont care. They will tie a fly to a one ounce sinker and a large treble

That's a shame. What happened to the sport of catching fish coupled with conservation and respect for the animal. I put so much time in reading about techniques, invest so much into equipment and licenses and I see other fisherman bending the rules or cutting the corners. It's so much sweeter when you catch that Salmon on homemade cured eggs with a proper technique and getting that fish back in the water safely for someone else to enjoy that same experience for years to come. I couldn't agree with you more

I'd never claim that fly anglers have never made a mess. But a fly-only restiction would reduce the poaching and the miles of trash mono left on the banks.

How is "fly-only" going to stop poaching and littering? The poachers are already breaking the rules that are put in place to stop poaching and littering. Fly fishing isn't even close to being the right answer...not even remotely. More CO's to manage the area is the only answer...even a bigger police presence in "known" areas is a better option than "fly" only.

That just sounded like a self righteous, fly fishing is the only answer, answer! Not saying that's the way you meant it...but that's how it sounds. There is room for all LEGAL styles of fishing, by anglers who respect the resource.

:)

Oh and Bronte had a couple guys with shotguns. Yes the police report indicated alcohol was involved.

Gillnets. Crossbows. An ancient Ukrainian woman that blocked a river with chicken wire and was canning salmon for the winter incase the Germans invaded. A guy running around Streetsdale with a sword pretty much killed river fishing.

My two cents.....

It doesn't have to be fly only, but there are many other regulations that would help to thin the crowd and help promote conservation.

No live bait, which includes roe. People would mention barbless hooks, but I've read many studies that speak to the contrary regarding fish mortality after release. Instead, I say make a size limit on hooks (there could be a hook gap measure on the back of our license card) and ban treble hooks all together. Also, limit the amount of weight allowed on your sinker.

I know this may be a lot for some newer anglers, but through practice, research and time spent on the water, they will learn and start to gain respect for the resource.

And to touch on "poachers will poach no matter what" that's like saying "thief's will steal..... " there will always be that group who will live outside of societal boundaries and they will eventually be dealt with; either by the law or by karma.

In general, fly anglers (and all SERIOUS outdoorsmen) are better conservationists simply because we are so invested in our hobbies that we have to take care of the resource so we can keep doing the things we love and have better and more authentic outdoor experiences.

Who knows what the answer is...but its turning into a dump. Crap everywhere...just throw your garbage on the ground attitude. Line , roe bag crap and even hooks on the paths and rocks...no thought someones dog might pick it up. Need major enforcement and big littering fines. Man, all they have to do is grab a seat in Erindale park and watch...you could fill a violation book of tickets in no time.

My two cents.....

It doesn't have to be fly only, but there are many other regulations that would help to thin the crowd and help promote conservation.

No live bait, which includes roe. People would mention barbless hooks, but I've read many studies that speak to the contrary regarding fish mortality after release. Instead, I say make a size limit on hooks (there could be a hook gap measure on the back of our license card) and ban treble hooks all together. Also, limit the amount of weight allowed on your sinker.

I know this may be a lot for some newer anglers, but through practice, research and time spent on the water, they will learn and start to gain respect for the resource.

And to touch on "poachers will poach no matter what" that's like saying "thief's will steal..... " there will always be that group who will live outside of societal boundaries and they will eventually be dealt with; either by the law or by karma.

In general, fly anglers (and all SERIOUS outdoorsmen) are better conservationists simply because we are so invested in our hobbies that we have to take care of the resource so we can keep doing the things we love and have better and more authentic outdoor experiences.

Thank you. This is where I was going with my comments. Just waited for someone to see it. The alternative could well be "No Fishing" signs!

From my point of view, poachers will poach reguardless. And they know the odds of getting busted are small due to lack of enforcement. Iv called over a dozen times this year, how many times have I seen a c.o show up? Zero. Just to be clear, im not blaming the mnr c.o's, they are extreamly underfunded and outgunned. Best they can do is blitz areas at this point it seems.

From my point of view, poachers will poach reguardless. And they know the odds of getting busted are small due to lack of enforcement. Iv called over a dozen times this year, how many times have I seen a c.o show up? Zero. Just to be clear, im not blaming the mnr c.o's, they are extreamly underfunded and outgunned. Best they can do is blitz areas at this point it seems.

You're right: more laws don't prevent crime. Better enforcement will. But changes in regulations could make it easier to monitor things. If you see someone with a spinning rod on fly-only water, its pretty obvious that the person is breaking the rules. If you see someone with a bait bucket on water where artificials only are permitted, it is also obvious.

But just as importantly, the officers responsible cannot be everywhere. Thats where the conscientious citizen steps in.

As an example, someone committing an offense on private property (even if that person otherwise has the right to be there), can be charged with trespassing. So even if the MNR can't attend, it may be possible that another agency could act. Most municipalities have ant-litter bylaws and officers assigned to enforce them. And then there's the video camera in your cellphone: it is not a crime to photograph someone without consent unless that person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Video evidence is compelling and has resulted in more than a few charges.

Just a few things to think on.

Archived