Credit

DaveC

My two cents.....

Also, limit the amount of weight allowed on your sinker.

I agree with eveything you said, except the weight of sinkers. Really like the hook reference on the licence...that would be a cool card to have regardless of the laws, especially for new anlglers.

I agree with eveything you said, except the weight of sinkers. Really like the hook reference on the licence...that would be a cool card to have regardless of the laws, especially for new anlglers.

To clarify, this would only be in effect for spawning salmon and the weight (if I was writing the laws) would be 3/4 of an ounce, not including lure weight, unless it's a jig head. Rivers like the Niagara would continue to have less stringent regulations on tackle, simply because of their size.

I love the idea of volunteer officers though. In fact, you wouldn't even need permission from the authorities to get a group of guys down to these hot spots for f*ckery,armed with nothing more than a cell phone and some literature about salmon spawning, conservation, etc.

Call it the River Watch! Get uniforms, begin to make a difference then get corrupt with power and start your inevitable spiral down into a terrible addiction for salmon caviar and high end call girls. Who's in?

FWIW

As long as there are Salmon in the tribs in the fall, there will be people trying to get the "gold"

By hook, or by crook it will happen.

The ministry is hobbled by the budgetary forces, and they do the best they can. Just take a look at the budget!

To insinuate that fly fishing is an answer to the issue, is ridiculous! Obviously the person that has posted this either lives in a bubble, and never fishes many streams, or he is very naive.

"Deputy Game Wardens" didn't work years ago. The 'takes a crook to catch a crook' theory was tested, and failed. Miserably.

All that happened was that the Deputy and all his buddies had a heyday!

When all the salmon are long gone, the same tragedy will happen with Browns and Steelhead, spring and fall.

If you want to do some real good, bug the hell out of the politicians to put some more first line troops on the streams and rivers.

In other words we need more good MNR enforcement, not well intentioned volunteers without any tools other than a cell phone.

Anyone who is in the hunt for Roe or Skein and has a US passport can drive across the border 25 mins from Queenston to the slippery sinker. Last year they had tons of 5 gal buckets full of roe. $5.00 pound of Loose eggs. In fact he was giving away free brown skein last year. Makes enough sense to just buy it. I guess over there its legal to buy and sell roe. All I know is they have tons of it...$10 you have enough roe to last you quite a while. I have always been a bag fisherman, but to me its so dam messy gets all over you clothes, your rod, your jacket...you smell like a salmon...lol. I have found Im using way less roe...beads and sucker spawn imitations will get the job done just as well and no juice all over everything...lol. Roe is available at many online sites as well...no need to snag a salmon to get your egg fix. Ive seen fish slit and left, because the idiot did not even know the fish was a male...Since beads, and online availability of any roe you like it makes sense to try and fish the fish legally. If your eating these fish, other than small fish your crazy. I have to believe that people are not educated enough on the facts of pollutants in these fish...that and they are rotting from the inside out.

What could an auxillary member do that we fisherman couldnt do? They wouldnt have the ability to lay a charge.

I honestly heckle snaggers, and poachers alike until they leave or challenge for a good ol' donny brook. I agree with Jeep on this one, we need power of numbers..... If one angler says "hey bro, can't do that" but nobody else backs him (trust me shoulder to shoulder most days, and ppl say NOTHING) it is ineffective. We need to all unite for cause, its like that with any social issue, not just fishing.

I honestly heckle snaggers, and poachers alike until they leave or challenge for a good ol' donny brook.

In this day and age there is no such thing as a good ol' donny brook.

Challenge the wrong guy or guys and you may end up being the next statistic for a stabbing.

No body fights with their fists anymore. Don't you listen to the news?

In this day and age there is no such thing as a good ol' donny brook.

Challenge the wrong guy or guys and you may end up being the next statistic for a stabbing.

No body fights with their fists anymore. Don't you listen to the news?

Totally agree on that.....these days its cowards carrying knives or pins. Better off to avoid confrontations. You know what a tough guy is...a dead guy.

If Auxiliary CO's were put in place and the ministry allowed it they could issue bylaw tickets. Just sayin police auxiliary have the power to issue bylaw tickets. Correct me if I'm wrong?

It would be an application and interview process with background checks. They would hire a person with some type of policing background They would not want a bunch of hot heads representing them. I think it would be a great idea.

Wannabe people are just people that couldn't get the job if they tried with everybody else. I saw this with my job longtime of 30 years. If they can't meet the requirements of the job, -all of them- then they shouldn't be auxiliary. It doesn't matter whether it is part-time cops, fire, ambulance. Almost is not good enough. These people, even if they are hired, will still have to be trained, covered by insurance, outfitted with credentials. And think about this: would you do it for free, knowing that some idiot trying to covertly get a fish/deer etc, would happily knife you to get away with it? If you answer yes, you need some professional help! IMO

Wannabe people are just people that couldn't get the job if they tried with everybody else. I saw this with my job longtime of 30 years. If they can't meet the requirements of the job, -all of them- then they shouldn't be auxiliary. It doesn't matter whether it is part-time cops, fire, ambulance. Almost is not good enough. These people, even if they are hired, will still have to be trained, covered by insurance, outfitted with credentials. And think about this: would you do it for free, knowing that some idiot trying to covertly get a fish/deer etc, would happily knife you to get away with it? If you answer yes, you need some professional help! IMO

Emergency services in townships depend on citizens to do a job for free or a very small pay. Volintary firefighters is one example. They are not "wannabes" as u put it. They are individuals that work a full time job and volunteer there time for their community they live in. Same goes with auxizillary officers. Some work full time jobs, some are gaining job experience as an auxiliary so they can become full time officers. Hats off to anyone who would work for free to help their community or fishery I guess I need professional help

Backwoods

What you seem to be talking about is not volunteer MNR/Game wardens. I'm reading volunteer Fire Firefighters from your post. Since Auxiliary police are relegated to riding shotgun in the cruiser, and traffic detail at fall fairs etc, just like St Johns Ambulance details at similar functions.

VFFs are a huge cost saving to taxpayers, and if properly trained a huge asset to the community. VFFs are bolstered by full time police and ambulance people at all responses. Far different than what a volunteer Game warden could expect. Leave the bad stuff to the professionals. Thats WHAT THEY GET PAID FOR!

Many years ago there were volunteer game wardens. They must have had problems because they didn't seem to be around for long. Things and life in general were safer then.Today I would be afraid to do that job as we seem to live in a much more violent society.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Mississauga near the mouth of the Credit and have not fished there since 2005... What a mess and a zoo... would rather spend the gas $$$ and head to the Niagara then put up with that BS... just my two cents.

Archived