Switch Rod Question

schnipster

A reputable fly shop can easily identify the rod rating. You can internet search most rods for the correct line needed.

Try googling "AFTMA." There's a lot of info. But it can get confusing. Line ratings are supposed to be based on the weight (in grains) of the first 30 feet of line. But not all manufacturers strictly adhere to the standard. There's also info on spey line weights too.

Thats the loop opti switch 7107. That has the hex shaped handle?? If you want to know the rods line ratings give Ray a call at First Castin Guelph...he has a book with each line style rating. The way ive been explained is there is a top and bottom grain window...so someone like you would go bottom of the grain window based on experience...where im in the upper grain window being less experienced. Ray could tell you for sure though...nice rod from the reviews ive read on it. Was like a $900 rod off the shelf...

ya it casts like a cannon--also theline charts for the major line guys dont even have it listed although it has only been off the shelf for a year--i am at a loss on that one..airflo says for a 7 wt the grain shour be 400 plus but the calcuations coach did shows a different number--i am still under the assumtion that a) my waders may split open at the clave and B) and spey lines in general make fly fishing something of a task...

• 1 month later...

here is a curve ball my rod is a 7wt switch --if this chart is right and this is for single handers the 360 grain skagit i use is prett much accurate however it seems to not be working for me...FML

Type of Line Shooting Head Short Belly Medium Belly Long Belly Length of Belly 30-50′ 50-60′ 60-70′ 70’+ Weight Measured at 40′ 55′ 65′ 80′ 6wt 250 grain/16.2g 420 grain/27.3g 460 grain/29.9g 600 grain / 39.0g 7wt 300 grain/19.5g 470 grain/30.5g 510 grain/33.1g 650 grain/39.0g 8wt 360 grain/23.4g 530 grain/34.4g 570 grain/37.0g 710 grain/46.1g 9wt 430 grain/27.9g 600 grain/39.0g 640 grain/41.6g 780 grain/50.6g 10wt 510 grain/33.1g 680 grain/44.2g 720 grain/46.8g 860 grain/55.8g 11wt 600 grain/39.0g 770 grain/50.0g 810 grain/52.6g 950 grain/61.7g 12wt 700 grain/45.5g 870 grain/56.5g 910 grain/59.1g 1050 grain/68.2g

Just an FYI. On both my switch rods i use a skagit/switch line. Both rods are 7/8 wts . The scott uses a 450, and the St Croix imperial is using a 540. Both rods also use an airflo shooting line... that shooting line was another $50 a box. You have that white line on yours that to me looks like a fly line backing? I could be wrong but both mine cast amazing. I have the 450 skagit/ switch i took off my reel for my new spey....your welcome to rent it..i mean try it...lol

Note Dave's numbers: it could be that you could afford to go heavier. Keep in mind also that with a roll cast you're loading the rod with that part of the line that you have in the "D." If you don't have the bulk of the line's mass in the "D," you'll not load up well.

There was a 360 on the scott i bought off a board member here and i could not get that thing to cast at all. Soon as i replaced the shooting line and the head it bombed no problem. The new 6.5 spey rod i got calls for a 480gr. I think he might be light and moving up a bit would probably work well. I will bring my 450 and you can try that see.

sounds perfect man---if thats the case i have a 330 scandi and 360 skagit that is useless to me--pisses me off. all this trial and error is getting costly--if you ask 10 people about lines everyone will tell you the polar opposite of the last person...anooying

i find myself in the same boat with my newest toy, a switch 11' 7 wt. - impossible to translate all the babble over grain weights/switch lines/shooting heads/blah blah blah. it is frustrating because i also don't have a bottomless pot of money to allow me to experiment until i figure out what works. just when i had finally figured out how to simplify fly fishing, i had to go out and buy a switch rod. what was i thinking.

Don't ask sail lol they sold me the line thay apparently is too light on daves rod and the line that was too light on my sage. I am buying heavier line. What does the board recommend for a 5 weight sage 9 footer. For Fergus and for erie bass

Archived