Switch Rod Question

schnipster

the gram window on rods is not specifically for that rod for its intended purpose, it is in fact a standard that is based on overhead casting--which i find completely stupid to be blunt. if you buy a switch rod the manufacturer needs to put the gram rating for the rods intended purose not some AFTMTA tennis association jargon, that said my rod came out to an average of around 340 with the conversion---i am simply going to add 100 grains for the spey casting aspect --if i do this it falls in line with the countless websites and rio fly lines that told me to use around 450 gram skagit---scandi you can go alot lighter but with lighter flies with almost no weight oof any kind--with that this weekend i will abandon my 360 grain in a dumpster like an unwanted cockatiel and go with the 450--i will either be loading up that rod and and hitting the california coast or all my spey stuff will be in the classifiedscome monday mid morning. single handers of which i have too many to discuss are simple and easy to understand--easy to cast and easy to use. personally i think i need to move somehwere where brookies are gold all year round cause thats what i really like--take a butterstick to the stream and them tell me you still love becomg a math professor to figure out spey shite...PS if you think switch and spey is challenging try dealing with LOOP...they dont take calls , they dont have answer and their arrogance supercedes thier ability to service customers---stick to volvos and windmills mr andersson.

Schnipster call Steve godshall. He Is a master and has specs/knows what lines will perform well on damn near every rod. I've bought only one line from him, but know others that have also and no one has been disappointed

sail in vaughan has a guy names sean--dude knows fly fishing, he has been casting since he was a child with his father, derek is good but as far as the rest of them go--they are all mastubaiters and roe chuckers (sorry dave love ya man)....just realized i quoted the wrong post--sorry boys--you ge the drift hahah

ola trust me man go for a 425 to 450 grain skagit--EVEryONE on every forum has said the same thing, my buddy andrew and dave both agree, dudes know thier stuff...i know guys with 5 wt switck rods that are using 350 grain line....anyone want this line ro what?

From what I have been told, casting a switch rod can be more difficult that either a single hander or a spey rod on its own.

It's long for a single hand, which I'm thinking will cause it to load up earlier/heavier than a shorter rod, especially with the fast graphite that is used in modern rods. It's short for a spey rod, so it's going to take longer/more effort to load than a 13-14 spey rod. Throw that all in the mix, plus people expecting the switch rods to be good at everything, you end up with setups that vary (a lot) between person to person and have to compromise somewhere.

Even casting style is going to affect what works for you. I like to feel the rod load up, feel that bend forming. I couldn't feel that with my first rod, so I eventually overlined it by 1 weight. What a difference. Suddenly my timing was better and I could shoot line so much easier. But, someone else may be more technical and hate the feedback that a more flexible rod may give back to them.

i find that the switch requires a shorter and faster execution with a shorter arc on the water...with spey style casting--i also use a single handed 8wt that is 10 feet so the length is ok for me as my switch is only 7 inches longer. i find mentally the longer spey rods are easier to load up as you see it tearing off the water for longer and the anchor is sustained longer as the line stays on the water for a longer period of time. the old single hand water load on the down stream and dropping it upstream is stilll the easist way to fish on bigger water for me..the best is still small streams...on the dry fly. i am interested in using my switch in bigger water in the summer with a light scandi and a dry fly or skater....that might be fun..otherwise this spey thing is an all out cluster #$%&..it has also been made far more difficult through marketing of new products--like mow tips--completely unnecessary tool --works yes, but for years and still now th top dude make their own tips...only real advantage to MOW tips are that they are all pretty much the same length so you don't have to modify your cast as will T tips. i am rambling...

I just tell you what...my wife casts the switch rod loaded with skagit like a pro. Im not kidding...i asked several instructors about this and hey all come back with the same answer. Slow it down....guys try to muscle it out there and women tend to slow down and allow a full d loop. Letting the rod do all the work and stopping at the ten oclock two oclock position. Myself, i love the switch rod and spey tactic just because you can do it well with limited back casting room. Single hand requires so much room behind you which limits the places you can fish. Schnip, i guarntee with your experience casting when you put the 450 on that rod its going to be a cannon. And if you decide that loop opti switch is for sale....i want first dibs...lol. Thats a great rod man...youll see once you up the gr wt. Youll be fishing the us side from canada...lol

.i meant the switch will be faster cast from start to finish that the long spey..less rod, shorter anchor and less line...shorter head....and i cant sell it. we have a prenup/. i love th rod and when i really get on it i can even cast with this yarn i am using now--but your right with my new 450 grain line my fly will return to me with stickers from mexico...

Archived