Grand River, Kicking My Butt

iHasFish

Been swinging the grand a bunch of times now and besides a foul hooked sucker, I'm batting .000

Tried every color in my box, fished slow, fast, broadside, nymph, egg, etc. I'm almost ready to buy a center pin and float roe. Someone help keep me from madness!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your not in that boat alone...lol. All though ive not fished it much for steelhead i did do well with bass on the swing. I believe they run earlier there. Im sure lots have made it upstream already. Ive had one steelhead hookup on the swing so far and the one i did have i lost it trying to get it to shore. I dont think its as easy as we think....dedication and the right timing and a big learning curve i think.Sure gets frustrating.

one trick that almost nobody does when they fish---stay in the same spot- its eaasy to move and say this spot is dead--its harder to re tie and try every fly in your arsenal. most likely there are fish there..they just aint eating what you cookin..that said i, like Dave have hooked steel on numerous occasions but just like the brown i hooked on 18 mile..i never land them...its my Achilles heel...

if it looks like there are fish there they are there --even on still water or brookie fishing-- ihave caught them just because i didnt give up on a spot...

I've been talking to guys on the river and they're saying its been a weird year on the grand, super muddy and high for most of the season. The credit has been producing apparently though. I'll check it out this weekend.

Try less natural and more vibrant Colors my buddy hooks fish on the spey and fly steady using big streamers with bright Colors and flashing also you'll hook up way more if you tie your streamers fly to a wadington shank put a trailer on em. Alot of fish hit short and if you don't have that you'll miss em. I'm a low intermidiate fly guy and the grand all.the way from Fergus to the highwater of cayuga has produced trout for me using that little tip. When I used just straight fly and hook with no.trailer I'd barely hook fish always on the snout. Now with a wadington shank and trailer I catch the corner of the mouth.

Try less natural and more vibrant Colors my buddy hooks fish on the spey and fly steady using big streamers with bright Colors and flashing also you'll hook up way more if you tie your streamers fly to a wadington shank put a trailer on em. Alot of fish hit short and if you don't have that you'll miss em. I'm a low intermidiate fly guy and the grand all.the way from Fergus to the highwater of cayuga has produced trout for me using that little tip. When I used just straight fly and hook with no.trailer I'd barely hook fish always on the snout. Now with a wadington shank and trailer I catch the corner of the mouth.

That's all I mainly use is the Waddington shanks, but funny my only steelie hookup so far was on a #4 streamer hook. I know you know Joe Penich well, and if anyone knows best it would be him. I kind of think confidence is a big key and learning what works. I have thrown big/flashy, natural/blacks red/blues pinks you name it. There is one member here "Craiger" Craig who gets the job done...Ive even gone with well known guides and got skunked. Not like floating bags or beads....far from it. No wonder so many people give it up and float...lol. I like to use both options myself. When I get fed up of swingin...and not hooking haul out the pin.hahaha. Like my brother says....you can practice your casting or you can hook fish you decide. Its all fishing to me, but I love the way they hammer it on the swing, really a hard hit unlike your float dropping.

I agree confidence is key. I did learn a lot of what I know from Joe and I'm lucky enough to get flies from him. But when I used streamers I was getting bumps and run steady but always losing the fish. Then I noticed the ones I did get were hooked into the nose. Once I started the shank it was corner of the mouth on the dangle. None the less that's not what he asked. I would try more intrusive and vibrant Colors. They work well on the saugeen and the grand.

everyone always says this is a bad year--you shoulda been here last year, weekend, month...in the 70s growing up.my buddy was slaying them here just yesterday.....cover water man...cover water-fish are there--they arent looking at each other and saying well i guess we aint eating cause this years a crapper for clarity and depth....fish the shite out of every foot of water--fish are there--unless i missed some evolutionary CNN thing about them growing lungs and feet...also put way less emphasis on catching and it will substitute your confidence and allow you to fish without pressure to catch...beieve i have learned to live like this...lol

I have to agree....if anyone thinks they are going to hang fish on the swing, i highly doubt it. Unless anyone cares to show me otherwise. If you get a hookup or two if your lucky on an outting id say your doing well. Ive also been told by many instructors that majority of fish hit on the dangle or ( end of the swing ). My first hookup was exactly like that...end of the swing. I also think it is very important where you position yourself in the run to allow your swing to end in productive water. Structure in boulders and fallen trees are a good bet. Ive been told by several people that an aggressive fish will key in on your offering as it swings and track it over to the dangle...then once it stops a small twitch or slow strip will trigger a strike. For me its really hard to put the float rod away...specially when a lot of my friends float fish. But, in all reality, i would have to say that by not doing that your not 100% dedicated to finding the real answers. For me thats the hard part. Being prepared not to hook numbers of fish is tough, and real satisfaction will be way less but way better when you do connect. Ruben is a die hard fly guy....have to give you props bro for your dedication. Is that why fly guys want to choke floaters??

its because you guys catch way more fish...way more..lol--its hard to watch--rewarding if its your friend however still hard to watch--i put a ton of time into tying-trying and testing--you guys float a perfect drift with the exact items the fish are feeding on...its perfect. for me spey casting in general is more the enjoyment that the catch-mostly due to the fact that the catch rate is so very low- guys will tell you that they catch a ton on the swing however when you look into it most of them are on that same water full time..day in and out--for me personally every guy i know that catches big number on the swing are retired dudes that swing steady --every day--that is why i say fish the hell out of every strip of water---simulate you being there 24/7 within a short 8 hour span-its far more efficient. if the fish look like they are they--they are most likely there--us fly guys give up on water to fast IMO--cost of leader line and flies and gear maybe? not sure why but we often write off water too soon--then wonder why the next dude that takes you hole slay fish after fish. at then end of the day spey fishing and fly fishing in general on a whole is the least efficient way to fish for numbers..you may have a 30 fish day but then not see a tug for a month. anyone that tells you otherwise is straight up lying or living in alaska...lol PS

Swinging flies is tougher for numbers because you are targeting very active, aggressive steelhead; given river conditions, this percentage of active fish could be relatively high to almost nil. Pinners, and even nymphers with fly rods will have presentations that appeal to fish in various states of "activeness", creating a bigger window of opportunity for hookups.

Having said all this, I have struggled this year with my pin, let alone my two-hander. I gotta admit, it's going to take a decent day or two with the pin before I commit to swingin'.

its th age old thing with the fly--if your in it t catch 30 fish a day --keep the pin- fly fishing is a total lifestyle change in a way--the culture, not to say its better, is fly fishing more than catching fish--atleast to me. i feel like a different kind of angler when on the fly--not arroganlty saying this just stating my vibe. its like a primal hunt for fish. why am i saying this, well once you commit to the fly whole heartedly going back will be impossible. i have considered a pin...i have owned a pin rig---cant do it- the passion for that onehoookup on a fly i tied is too strong for me.

its th age old thing with the fly--if your in it t catch 30 fish a day --keep the pin- fly fishing is a total lifestyle change in a way--the culture, not to say its better, is fly fishing more than catching fish--atleast to me. i feel like a different kind of angler when on the fly--not arroganlty saying this just stating my vibe. its like a primal hunt for fish. why am i saying this, well once you commit to the fly whole heartedly going back will be impossible. i have considered a pin...i have owned a pin rig---cant do it- the passion for that onehoookup on a fly i tied is too strong for me.

I agree completely. I'm not looking for numbers. But more than 2 a season on the fly would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've started to get a rhythm going and the thing that's done it for me is down sizing the fly. All autumn I've been throwing big intruder patterns because the visibility was low and I wanted my fly to be seen. The water has cleared up a bit so I switched to smaller salmon flies in pinks, blues and purple with much better luck. Hooked a few, lost a few, landed a few. It's good to feel the pull.

How's everyone else doing with swinging this season?

Well, I've started to get a rhythm going and the thing that's done it for me is down sizing the fly. All autumn I've been throwing big intruder patterns because the visibility was low and I wanted my fly to be seen. The water has cleared up a bit so I switched to smaller salmon flies in pinks, blues and purple with much better luck. Hooked a few, lost a few, landed a few. It's good to feel the pull.

How's everyone else doing with swinging this season?

I been swinging roe bags and beads...lol. I could be wrong, but I believe now is the time to swing those big intruders. I think I may have to hit the Niagara to swing anything with these low and clear conditions everywhere. I don't know what it is, but Im finding it very hard to put the float rod down when you know its an egg bite going on. I know this will change to a minnow bite soon then I will be gung ho to swing. South of the border still lots of big boots dropping eggs. I sure want to give Niagara a try on the swing...Have you been swinging the Grand?

Hahaha....i agree, that stuff makez mess my jacket and waders. Maribou is gross too..when its all over my clothes and my desk and im sneezing like crazy. Lol. You can swing roe bags...lol. Beads are ever being accepted by fly guys now. I read an article in fly fusion saying so. I prefer to be multi talented...master of none...lol. we get some melt and warm spells soon, the swing will be the thing. The egg bites gonna turn soon...then we can " match the hatch" is that not what fishing is??

Beads are ever being accepted by fly guys now. I read an article in fly fusion saying so.

I wouldn't exactly say fly fusion is the foremost authority on whether beads count as flies.

It has been a weird year on the Grand. Been fishing the river my whole life, I suspect your lack of success is due to the huge increase in angling pressure compared to other years

Just stating that beads are being more widely accepted as part of fly fishing arsenal. The article more less pointed to the time that beads were not even used...but more and more people using them in combinations with flies. Ive not even targeted steel on that river this year, been too busy at other places. I have lots to learn when it comes to swinging flies, namely confidence.

Archived