A Great Read For The Avid Fly Fisherman

schnipster

my jaw is still not fully operational after reading this..some goon put up a fishing report and here it is in all its glory

057.JPGThis was my fist time in the Salmon River. I had no idea how to fish for Salmon in the river. We fished using a tecnique called "flossing". I've found that flossing is a controversial form of fishing that alot of anglers equate to snagging. Snagging used to be legal in NY years ago, but is now illegal. Flossing consists of using a rod and reel of choice, most people there had some type of fly rod set up or center pin. The tecnique entails setting a near marble sized split shot weight no more than four feet from the hook. Your hook cannot exceed a gap more than a half inch. Using a pair of polarized sun glasses to see the salmon better in the water, you look for a group of salmon or a single salmon at a rest. You cast about eight feet to ten feet in front of the salmon. The force of the current pulls the weight and hook toward the mouth of the salmon. The goal is obviously to land your hook into the open mouth of the salmon. It is illegal to keep a foul hooked salmon. A foul hooked salmon when your hook snaggs a fin, tail, or body of the salmon. You must release the fish if foul hooked. Everyone develops their own system of casting for flossing. I found myself aiming to cast my split shot ten feet in front of the salmon, just about two feet on the other side of it. As the current pulls your hook and line closer to the fish, youbegin to pull toward yourself in an effort to hook the inside of the salmons mouth. We had plenty of luck, maxing out for three days in a row. I also found it beneficial to put a small piece of florecent rubber worm on the end of my hook, so i could see where it is going in the water much better.

The tecnique entails setting a near marble sized split shot weight no more than four feet from the hook.

I want to see someone fly cast that sucker. It would be like a musket ball coming past your head, and probably with about the same chance of actually being hit as someone firing a brown bess at you.

a guy right beside me was "fly fishing" on the weekend- every time he "cast" the "fly" hit the water like a hockey puck--asked him what he was using he has two split shot that were the size of an 8 ball with a huge hook and roe---spectacular stuff. he told me he has been fly fishing only for a short while and he was taught by a good instructor but could not figure out why the cast wasnt working for him--i told him with that weight he may need to usesomething in the range of a 20 wt rod--with a step ladder. lol

Archived