Dain City With Pics.

marktheperchman

Now that my new job has restricted my fishing to the weekends, I was disappointed to see a wind forecast of 20+ km winds both days was going to mean another lost weekend. Lo and behold, I wake up this morning to a fresh coat of snow and no wind at all. It will probably pick up I tell myself. So I take the dogs for a walk on the golf course and still no wind. Well that's enough of a sign for me so I load up Perchslayer on the roof and head to Miller's Creek Marina to look for minnows.Got there and couldn't find any and by then the wind was blowing about 25 clicks. Made one more check and found a school so I scooped some and headed to Dain City, figuring I might find a spot out of the wind. Much to my astonishment, I get there and the winds are right down and the water is like glass. Launch Perchslayer around 1:30 and finally found a school around 3:00. The bite was on then and I managed 40 keepers with many let go for another day. Very glad I brought my Sportcat heater as this was the first time fishing out of my canoe in the snow. All I can say is Im glad I finally had a chance to fish as my freezer supply was getting dangerously low lol.20141116_151003_zpsmdzpv7wc.jpg20141116_170628_zpsdlg1a6gf.jpg

Way to slay'em Mark . I hope to make a trip there through the week . There was nothing happening at Martindale pond Saturday .......maybe the pike are putting the run to the perch there .....Bon appetite !

From a kayak?

Kay-noe....close guess lol ....I see you were well prepared Mark ! ....Nice to have the fish/depth finder and the markers to keep on the school . The perch seem to be very frisky now , must be a blast to catch them in deep water on light gear !

Right on. Well done.

Is thisu sually a relatively safe ice fishing spot come January ?

No such thing as "safe ice" . I have ice fished there and found ice from 6-7" to 3" in some spots . An ice spud used properly can help find the thin spots , and watching where others are fishing may help determine the ice conditions . Going out solo on new ice can be ..... :coldsmiley: teeth chattering

Archived