Suggestions For A 6 Weight Fly Line For A 8 Foot Glass Rod

Bow Man

So i am looking for suggestions on some fly line for a 8 foot glass rod ( 6 weight ). I have never used a glass rod so wnat to be sure to "load" it up with the right line. F.Y.I it is a Eagle Claw Featherlight glass rod i picked up for $26.00.

Cheers.

I have a 7WFF on my featherlight. Loads it up just find. Did you get that one off Kijiji?

Check out the review at http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.ca/2010/06/eagle-claw-featherlight-series.html

No I got from amazon $ 26.23 delivered!! Could not pass that up.

So would 6 weight be ok for this rod? Or do I need to go with 7 weight? I have read that it is not very good with 5 but I thought 6 might be ok, The specs say 5/6 weight.

Thanks for the link.

also depends on the type of line- on my glass rod i use DT line not WF so going up a line would be ok as the head is not as powerful as a WF line--i stayed at the recommended weight however my rod is not the same so i cannot say for yours. keep in mind the power is different in the glass world-if you go too heavy the rod will flex on the back cast right into the grass until you get used to stopping religiously at the 2pm zone. with my 3 wt it took me a while to adapt to its softness and i dropped alot of lines 30 feet behind me as the rod dropped to 230 at the 130 mark this is based on the 10 and 2 rule btw...lol

also depends on the type of line- on my glass rod i use DT line not WF so going up a line would be ok as the head is not as powerful as a WF line--i stayed at the recommended weight however my rod is not the same so i cannot say for yours. keep in mind the power is different in the glass world-if you go too heavy the rod will flex on the back cast right into the grass until you get used to stopping religiously at the 2pm zone. with my 3 wt it took me a while to adapt to its softness and i dropped alot of lines 30 feet behind me as the rod dropped to 230 at the 130 mark this is based on the 10 and 2 rule btw...lol

Cheers schnipster, I am actually looking forward to the new learning curve with a glass rod. I think I will stick to 6 weight line, just not sure on which brand yet.

if you are in rivers that arent big and have the odd difficult place to back cast--do yourself a favour--DT line is a roll casting dream with dry flies and if you brush up on your timing a tiny bit the line will cast as far as a wf line and it will deliver the flies without the water disturbance of wf line...its beauty ...my hookup rate has increase exponentially since i moved to DT from WF lline

oh an cheersto you as well. PS are you the same bowman from OFFville? if soWHAAAT UPPP

if you are in rivers that arent big and have the odd difficult place to back cast--do yourself a favour--DT line is a roll casting dream with dry flies and if you brush up on your timing a tiny bit the line will cast as far as a wf line and it will deliver the flies without the water disturbance of wf line...its beauty ...my hookup rate has increase exponentially since i moved to DT from WF lline

oh an cheersto you as well. PS are you the same bowman from OFFville? if soWHAAAT UPPP

Thanks again for the tip schnipster, And yes i am the same Bow Man. Do you go by the same name on OFF?

What are you going to be targeting with this rod? I mainly toss bass bugs and streamers so having a WF line helps get those air-resistant flies moving. Snip's dainty 3wt is probably throwing mainly dries to brookies, so the DT will help with a softer presentation.

6WT will probably load up the road just fine.

you are correct sir, dry flies only i use a 4 wt9 footer for all nymphing and i only bring that out of the trunk when the dries arent working. which is rar where i fish--as we all know dry fly fishing is as close to heaven as most fly dudes will most likely ever get to HAHA

bow man-opener..lets hook up and hit some brooooookies--plan ahead...lol

For sure! ( but I have to admit I am kind of a noob ) ( But absolutely obsessed :read: with fly fishing ). So maybe you can teach me a thing or two If you would be so kind. :worthy:

By the way I ended up buying Rio gold 6 WF/F. Was at a mom and pop shop yesterday when I was in Kingston, picked it up for$ 52.00! on sale. Could pass that up.

Nice to hear u like the fly...its def a rewarding existence unless u fish for steel lol...we are all noobs brother..learning is the name of the game. Opener....troutville

I am in for sure, So I will take a stab in the dark here and ask.........Remy? :)

I agree that you should use a dt6 on this rod. glass rods are slow compared to carbon fiber rods. You will need to adjust your casting style with slower glass rods and try not to overpower your casts. Also you need to slow down your casting tempo and pause a little longer before you begin your forward stroke. Bamboo rods cast the same way and that's why they are great for dry fly fishing. they allow you to lay the fly down nice and soft

bow man- lets make sure we hit the water in the spring- we will get you on some native trout. a few guys in here that i have fished with also know a fair bit about the fly- the usual suspects will always be helpful -and great company on the water.

bow man- lets make sure we hit the water in the spring- we will get you on some native trout. a few guys in here that i have fished with also know a fair bit about the fly- the usual suspects will always be helpful -and great company on the water.

For sure, i have found the guys on this site more willing to help and seem much more friendly then that other site. Also good to hear from you again. I hope you are doing well and hope the trout gods have been kind to you.

Again thank you.

just check this link out and be prepared to cup your hand in this same fashion many times.

http://instagram.com/p/sfH4aSooET/?modal=true

if steel head are still trout...then no the trout gods are not on my side...now brookies have made me a believer,,and good to hear from you as well.

just check this link out and be prepared to cup your hand in this same fashion many times.

if steel head are still trout...then no the trout gods are not on my side...now brookies have made me a believer,,and good to hear from you as well.

Nice brookie, would love to get into some of those!

Strictly speaking brookies are char (as are lakers), and thus not really trout. But we call them trout, so fair enough.

Archived