Tried My New Spey Rod Yesterday..

DaveC

Just bought the new Echo Dec Hogan II 6.5 wt spey rod. Spooled it with a 480gr skagit head. I have to say i love this rod...loads really nice and smooth casting. Feels great in the hands and the perfect feel for steelhead. Its pretty easy to get frustrated spey fishing and not getting the hookups you do on a float rod fishing bags or beads....but i know its just building confidence and keep getting the experience that it takes. I like to compare what im using for flies and tips and if im doing everything the right way....I have to think i am...I will keep at it and continue to get experience but it sure gets frustrating and i see why some guys give it up. Well see where it goes...wheres all you experienced guys that produce on the swing?? Lol. Anyone care to show me the way....im on !!

nice rod right there--casts like a dream--dec came through with that rod--that said catching fish on the swing is a pipe dream HAHAH i think that its great exercise for yor rotator cuffs and a great time on the water butcatching fish..not so sure--coming close to saying those fatefull words--i and done with the spey. i dont find joy in trying everything under the sun and still never hooking up except for a bass lol---single handers i can light it up and its all very simple and i get the concept--spey is like the higgs boson. brutal that i feel this way right? I love fly fishing more than most i would have to say--Dave bring me back brother, someone bring me back.

I can get you a good deal on a "drift" rod....lol. you can drift beads and bags and pretend your fly fishing...haha. Put some wings on your roe bags....lol. Im still looking for the elite swing master to show us otherwise. Maybe a new strategy? I dont know...but nobody can say we have not swung every fly ever made...lol.

tyler i do like you guys more than most men in my life--however drifting roe is not exactly that tough HAHAHA i learnde it in 4 hours and hooked a fish on the fifth hour--reading the water and knowing depth of leader now thats a bit of work--the spey is like fishing with a box of breath mints

not to mention you learn the drift faster cause ur ecited to catch more fish--spey its just depression in knee deep water.

Hahaha....20 more yrs. Schnips a quitter....lol. Im just a sucker for punishment. I know theres a fish behind that bolder...just tryin to convince him a piece of fluff tastes better then that sack of eggs...lol

Should be some aggressive fish and good swingin' water after all this rain/ melt. I'm promising myself to give my Spey a try ( if I get some with the float rod first!). Can't give up yet. Heck, even the Spey "masters" I know are having a slow year....don't know if that is good or bad....

Should be some aggressive fish and good swingin' water after all this rain/ melt. I'm promising myself to give my Spey a try ( if I get some with the float rod first!). Can't give up yet. Heck, even the Spey "masters" I know are having a slow year....don't know if that is good or bad....

That's my excuse, once I get some with the float rod first. Have to stop that mentality or well never connect on the swing...lol

The biggest thing isn't the cast but concentrate on learning what your fly is doing under the water and control it through the swing. The fish don't see what your cast looks like just what the fly looks like passing by

Good point...ive got the casting part down. I built a swim tank to test my flies to get a better idea of what it looks like underwater as well. I have to think positioning yourself where you want the swing to end or cross is important as well. I try to mend right to the tip to straighten out the line...so many variables with is it getting deep enough is the speed right is this resemble what they are feeding on. I always am second guessing myself...so i guess confidence is probably key. I know its not going to be numbers of fish....i enjoy the learning curve and willing to get it figured out. Bass are easy and fun...steelies are a challange but i know its going to be rewarding. Im going to stay at it.

Can't wait to see the grin on your face when you get a pic with your first steelie on the swing dave. As the minnow bite turns on hopefully youl get a few tugs. I know some spey guys were in the pool last spring and did well right off the middle point. Just a game of patience at this point.

I hooked one at the Catt third time targeting steel....was awesome feeling and i was sure i was getting that elusive photo with the fly dangling from its mouth...but unfortunately i was middle of the river and had to cross rapids knee deep and fast to get it to shore and it shook the hook in the fast water. But yes, pretty soon the minnow bite should be on...so i still have hope before things lock up with ice. Times running out though...lol. I get one on the fly...youll see picture for sure! Drop backs in the spring if not this fall.

even i believe the roe tastes better and i am a full on fly-tard..god i need to figure out how to spey cast a roe sack.

I thought you had this all sorted out? You know, fly rod and reel, marble sized lead shot, balsa float.... football helmet

hopefully getting out sometime this week or weekend to the niagara with the spey, only if the water co-operates tho.

Let me know if its the weekend and waters ok. But i have to think its going to be a while to clean up.

Coachman (Ron) you ready to show us the ropes down there? I dont mind the glen hike...forget the pool that climb does me in.lol

Coachman (Ron) you ready to show us the ropes down there? I dont mind the glen hike...forget the pool that climb does me in.lol

Love to, but I'm booked to work the next two weekends. :-( Damn job keeps cutting into my fishing time.

Archived