Road Kill

DaveC

My buddy just hit a ring tailed phesant. Can anyone explain how to preserve it to use feathers?

How many times did he have to swerve to hit it? :clapping:

Hahaha....im sure he avoided several obstackles to hit it.

Maybe try this:
You can simply pluck them. Use your hands as any tools may damage the quills. It will take a lot of time, so be patient. To clean feathers, place them in a bath of 5 parts warm water, 1 part vinegar and 1 part witch hazel. Let them soak for 24 hours. The astringents will help sanitize the feathers and kill any possible feather mites. Remove and spread out flat on a towel to dry. You can use a blow dryer to help speed this up.

Also here is another link for you: http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/preserving-feathers/

Hope this helps.

Skin it out, scrape the fat from the inside. Then lay it flat and rub some borax into the skin side, cover the skin side with newsprint and set in a dry place for a few weeks.

This. Pluck the tail, leave the rest on the skin. Make sure it stays dry to prevent mold.

Skin it out, scrape the fat from the inside. Then lay it flat and rub some borax into the skin side, cover the skin side with newsprint and set in a dry place for a few weeks.

Not sure he knows how to do that...but i will ask him..

• 5 months later...

I have a friend who used to raise all types of exotic birds. He gave me some skins once, I just cleaned them up (removed all the fatty portions) and nailed them to a board and salted the hide. turned out great.

I have also collected feathers from road kill turkey. I did not treat them with anything special, just air dried them. I have used them for flies quite often.

I used to freeze the birds ....thinking it would kill any bugs it might have.......After thawing I cut the skin from the anus to the throat & then removed all the skin , leaving the leg meat & half the wing meat on the carcass ....like a whole chicken we buy at the stores. There isn't much fat on pheasants & borax will quickly cure the skin .....just rub it in ... Allow the skin to cure for 24 hrs. & hang on a hook . If you want those small head feathers , just freeze that part and pluck them out anytime ......

Archived