New To The Niagara But Already Love It!

Buckeye_Fisherman

So I am new to the Niagara River region and caught my first steelhead a month and a half ago and have been in love since! They are the most beautiful and yet powerful fish I have ever had the pleasure to fight. I an active conservationists and spread CPR to all I meet on the river, especially for these chrome beauties. Since my first I have caught a few more and now have outfitted myself with long float rods and fast retrieve baitcasting reels to hopefully float fish the lower Niagara.

I guess I am wondering if I could get some tips and guidance from those of you who do or have targeted trout in the lower Niagara during these winter months. What techniques and presentations are successful? What do you look for when you cast? What is the ideal river conditions? etc.

Any and all tips will be more than helpful! I plan on spending a lot of time down there this winter and spring. I just would like to cut my learning curve a little bit with help from those of you who know this river.

Thanks

Buckeye

• 2 weeks later...

I've been throwing a line but haven't caught anything. Went out again today.

I've been using a long rod with a spinning reel.

A float, string of split shots down to a bag of eggs. I've been using the technique outlined in the Raven float fishing booklet.

Archived