Nfn's Best Post Contest

cplummer

We at NFN are having a contest for the best fishing story

For the best fishing story i have 2 St. croix SC2 ultra light custom rods tied and ready to go.These are 4'6" one piece extreamly light rods.

The first contest begins today and ends at the end of JAN .

Post your best story here and staff will select a winner.

The story MUST be posted here.

Good luck and go fishing.

NFN

TURTLE ATTACK! !

Fishing the Grand this past summer on a hot August evening. I had caught a couple nice bass. It was getting close to dark and I probably didn't really need to have my polarized glasses on. I had just finished a drift and burned my senko back to the ledge I was standing on. Lift senko up to start my back cast and I catch a glimpse of something move up the ledge right next to me. BIG SNAPPER! I immediately start to back pedal. Straight into the tree limb stuck in the mud behind me. Stumble splash. Turtle turns and comes full speed towards me. I have nowhere to go and instinct tells me to stomp my feet. I guess it worked because he turned and busted back down that ledge just as fast as he came at me. Wow what a rush. I scampered up on shore and reflected on how lucky I was that the big bad turtle didn't get me. I felt like a total kid again.

A few things that stand out from that day. Amber lenses in polarized glasses. You tend to keep them on even in low light. They take off the glare and I'm sure the only reason I saw that turtle is because I had them on. A big turtle can cover ground fast. And they do seem fearless. The whole ordeal lasted 10 seconds. He covered a lot of ground in that time. I think he came after me because I tried to flee. If I had just stood still he probably would have spooked. Either way I'm glad I didn't have to fight a 20 pound plus Turtle for my foot. It's 4 feet deep just off my ledge. Yikes....

Then do so Mark.. They all count..this is a nice perchin brookies type rod..find the story then copy and paste in this thread simple.. If you need help further will explain it to you more..

TURTLE ATTACK! !

Fishing the Grand this past summer on a hot August evening. I had caught a couple nice bass. It was getting close to dark and I probably didn't really need to have my polarized glasses on. I had just finished a drift and burned my senko back to the ledge I was standing on. Lift senko up to start my back cast and I catch a glimpse of something move up the ledge right next to me. BIG SNAPPER! I immediately start to back pedal. Straight into the tree limb stuck in the mud behind me. Stumble splash. Turtle turns and comes full speed towards me. I have nowhere to go and instinct tells me to stomp my feet. I guess it worked because he turned and busted back down that ledge just as fast as he came at me. Wow what a rush. I scampered up on shore and reflected on how lucky I was that the big bad turtle didn't get me. I felt like a total kid again.

A few things that stand out from that day. Amber lenses in polarized glasses. You tend to keep them on even in low light. They take off the glare and I'm sure the only reason I saw that turtle is because I had them on. A big turtle can cover ground fast. And they do seem fearless. The whole ordeal lasted 10 seconds. He covered a lot of ground in that time. I think he came after me because I tried to flee. If I had just stood still he probably would have spooked. Either way I'm glad I didn't have to fight a 20 pound plus Turtle for my foot. It's 4 feet deep just off my ledge. Yikes....

I have a story very similar. Same river, trout fishing instead and I was walking back through the brush and stumbled on a beaver. I jumped into the river, stumbled, got soaked and the jerk kept chasing me . Was swimming at me hard and fast so I started whipping my rod tip at the water and he turned and left. Frig. I hate beavers.

I was fishing bass in my canoe it was a great day got alot of fish and i decided to take a smoke brake i put my rod across the canoe and the lure was hanging a good six inches above the water about a min later doesn't a bass jump straight out of the water and grab hold almost lost tje rod i grabbed hold and fought it for a min then lost her was an amazing rush never would if guessed it to happen i had a buddy with me and now every time we fish he's gotta bust my nuts like i hate fishing with you u don't even have to put your line in the water lol defiantly a once in a lifetime thing

I was fishing bass in my canoe it was a great day got alot of fish and i decided to take a smoke brake i put my rod across the canoe and the lure was hanging a good six inches above the water about a min later doesn't a bass jump straight out of the water and grab hold almost lost tje rod i grabbed hold and fought it for a min then lost her was an amazing rush never would if guessed it to happen i had a buddy with me and now every time we fish he's gotta bust my nuts like i hate fishing with you u don't even have to put your line in the water lol defiantly a once in a lifetime thing

Similar thing happened to my Dad, on the welland river he was throwing a buzz bait, and with no luck was just goofing around moving it side to side in the water, told him to watch it a fish would hit that, and with 2 strokes already to be ready, sure as sh** , 2 seconds later boat side explosion and terrified look on my fathers face

It was day before Christmas know as Christmas eve day i arrived at the pool lot and headed down right away. I got to the water with large minnows in hand. Immedialtey questioned by an old polish man. He said those minnows are big and you wont get a bite so i tied up my line and launched the minnow so far he went out of sight. I ticked through the run feeling every boulder and drop then with a double tick i go a fish the drag would not stop. The fish was hooked up and and began to jump my heart started to race i was so pumped. I stood my ground and the fish i landrd at my feet. Atleast a 15 pound bow so clean and neat. Out of no where i heard the polish man say can i get one of those minnows and i said merry Christmas and have a great day.

Never take a girl fishing unless you're prepared to be out-fished. I learned that lesson a few years back. My daughter wanted me to take her fishing, so being on a budget I took her to CTC and got her a cheap $29.99 rod/reel combo and spooled her up with 6lb test thinking I'd get her into some panfish.

The big day came and it was one of those sweltering summer days when even the fish are looking for sunscreen. After a couple hours of no action except the odd goby, my daughter was getting bored. To keep her interested and doing something, I tied on a cheap spoon that came with her rod and showed her where to cast.

Five minutes later she yells "dad I think I have one!" I looked over to see that cheap rod almost bent in half. I thought she must surely have snagged a rock, so I took the rod from her and gave a tug. It tugged back!

After a lot of excited shouting and instructions, she reeled in a 10 pound carp. On a spoon! I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

She finished the day with two more fish (one of them a nice white perch).

Final score: daughter 3, dad 0.

Wife hates a self-pretence mechanic Husband!

Since I am a frugal self-proclaimed mechanic, whenever our 1991 Mercury Sable stalled on my wife, and she panicky called me while being stuck on the road, I would tell her to not worry, since I knew what I was doing, it seemed to just be minor issue as always, the trouble could be due to an old solenoid, weak battery, alternator, dirty battery post, bad gasoline inside tank, etc…. . I would normally able to tinker for the car to start and back on the road before we had to call CAA. Couple times a year, CAA tow truck had to come to our rescue, but overall, it seemed we had avoided the cost of hiring professional mechanic for years.

One fishing day trip with my buddies, i used my old 1988 Ford econoline van to tow the boat that day, this time the van had stalled an hour away from home. So I called my wife to come to my aid. The CAA truck came to tow the van home. When I was ready to hook my boat to my wife’s car, my wife's Mercury Sable vehicle also stalled, I tried my best to work on the car to get it started, to no success, and we had to call another CAA truck to tow this car as well. I told everyone “We never experience such a bad luck in both cars dying at the same time.” Then my friend called his wife to come and help us tow my boat home. My wife was quiet to not embarrass me in front of my friends, while we hitch a ride home .

The Next Day after my work,……………. I saw inside our garage a Brand new Acura TL 3.2. …………..I kept quiet this time! But i still Believe today that the 1991 Mercury sable has really brought out the best mechanic in me.

My first boating day at Lake Ontario.

This actually happen 17 years ago.

I was very excited after I bought a used 16ft 85HP fibreglass boat deal package for $1500, and have decided to invite my family of 3 and another family of 4, a total of seven passengers were for my boat initiation that afternoon, a boat cruise to see Toronto harbour. We all had a nice exciting time witnessing CN tower and Toronto harbour front from a different perspective. Then before we head back to our boat launch before it got completely dark, I told my friend to drive the boat at full speed back to the launch, while I sat back, relax and enjoyed the breeze. Time flies and without a compass or GPS, our first time boating on lake Ontario was sure very memorable, unsuspecting things sure could go wrong when we least expect it, especially not familiar with the gas consumption on the boat that I just bought. We tried to find the boat launch at Ashbridges Bay GTA to no success, and it was dark. Then the boat ran out of gas, “Luckily we were never too far off shore!” was my humorous comment! No luck using cell phone, more than decades ago, cellular phone technology was still quite primitive, so there was no signal even if we were less than few hundred feet from the shore line, that was when the boat engine conked out due to gas ran out. It was nice calm full moon evening to be at Lake Ontario. I tried blowing my horn few times, but no one was on site and not sure where we were as well. So I told my guest that we should just try to enjoy the evening and fish , which my 5 year old son and I started casting with our rods. I was calm and did not know what to do, boat was anchored down, especially I only had one paddle that came with the boat.

My wife's girlfriend , who was so scared since their entire family of 4 could not swim at all, started to semi hyper-ventilate. Then I jokingly said " this cannot be worse than Titanic?". My wife friend immediately requested for a bucket and peed in it. It was the first time I understood when a person got really scared to death, and possibly could pee on their pants.

By 10pm, I tried to shine my flashlights up the hill , and witness another person way above the top of the hill flickered and shined his lights in response to mine. Half an hour later, The Toronto Harbour Police came to our rescue and towed my boat, they were so accommodating, loaned us their infrared binoculars, and said with their electronic gadget, we could spot boats from miles away even on foggy condition . They also said we were very lucky to be out on a calm night, where waives of Lake Ontario could be up to two stories high at times. After we were towed back on shore, the police said we were found outside Pickering area, which was 15 minutes out fo the way from where we had originally launch our boats. They checked my boat safety equipment, was nice enough to just fine me $40 for missing one extra paddle, even if I had only two life jacket that time. They did not charge me for towing fee, nor the missing Toronto harbour front license that I needed.

I went to court to fight for that ticket weeks later, when the mediator asked me what was this ticket all about, I told him the story. He then asked my how much was I willing to pay? I said $25, and that was what I paid .

Till this day, I tease my wife’s friend that if they ever wanted another cruise to just let me know, and I assured her that I always carried a bucket inside the boat.

In my family, fishing is in the blood. From the age of 2 onward the itch is always there. The itch is there in the Mrs. family but... it comes with a curse. And my son's got it bad.

Today, my wife is terrified of the ice. For good reason. She used to go ice fishing with her dad and brothers, walking out onto L Erie chasing after perch. The last time she went out she went through the ice. Her Dad walked her back to the car and got her into dry clothes and back onto the ice again where she goes in a second time. Her brothers have also had the same luck. Out at Ramey's bend they both managed to go in through an open hole buried under the snow.

Fast forward some 20 odd years. We have my son Robert. When it comes to winter, my son is an open water magnet. Year after year, if there is open water or skinny ice, Robert would find it. Perchfest as a boy of 12, he goes wandering on the old ice off to where one lady is fishing. Tell him the ice don't look good, he takes no more than 3 steps and, whoosh, down he goes. He shoots right back up no problem. This happens year after year.

If there is an open hole he'll step into it. Once he is on the ice he gets tunnel vision. He has to get out on the ice as fast as he can to get his line out before anybody else. Heck he's walked right off the ice into open water in the dark of night. It was so dark out he could not see the big gap in the ice. There is one really funny thing about his exploits. Robert keeps reminding me of a LoonieToons cartoon. Robert can go through the ice and shoot right back out like Daffy Duck, etc.. He literally shoots back out of the hole. He is out of the hole so fast that he does not have time to get wet. It is a bit scary, but still hilarious

Its was a crisp autmn day down at the 12 mile crik. Sun was shining and it was the last stop for fishing as we had currently tried to fish the weeds at Chuck Daley. I had fished right from the water discharge to try and increase my chances. We were using corn niblets for bait. We were getting very subtle little pulls and bringing in small carp and even a perch. Since that seemed to be the rythmn of the day i was not paying close attention to my rig as it was a couple little twitches then a pull up and retriev. My drag was set from salmon fishing the day before. At this point i was sitting down enjoying a snack and my rod was up against my bag and back on the concrete a fair bit. I heard my bag start to move and before i could reach for it my eagle claw went sky high and down into the water as we watched it peel on the surface for a bit going at a fast speed and slowly disappeared into abyss. Thats the time when the fish out fished me.

Lesson learned i purchased a bait runner the following season.

Its was a crisp autmn day down at the 12 mile crik. Sun was shining and it was the last stop for fishing as we had currently tried to fish the weeds at Chuck Daley. I had fished right from the water discharge to try and increase my chances. We were using corn niblets for bait. We were getting very subtle little pulls and bringing in small carp and even a perch. Since that seemed to be the rythmn of the day i was not paying close attention to my rig as it was a couple little twitches then a pull up and retriev. My drag was set from salmon fishing the day before. At this point i was sitting down enjoying a snack and my rod was up against my bag and back on the concrete a fair bit. I heard my bag start to move and before i could reach for it my eagle claw went sky high and down into the water as we watched it peel on the surface for a bit going at a fast speed and slowly disappeared into abyss. Thats the time when the fish out fished me.

Lesson learned i purchased a bait runner the following season.

Was a good day, but we will never know the true size of that carp. I remember seeing that rod get dragged in...

It took a long time but I finally got it " Fishing " I used to think it was an evolutionary exercise as your technique got better your catch size and numbers will increase ( true but ) for me my best memories were the majestic things that happen from time to time like when I was kick boating on Lake Dalrymple and was lucky to see an osprey explode on the water and come up with a large fish in his talons or the time I was boat fishing with my friend in the heat of the day kinda snoozing drifting minnows when my rod went "nuts" in a panic jumping to my feet to fight this monster something and seeing a loon at the end of my line neck pointing to the sky flapping his wings like mad or the time on the upper niagara fishing with PC and saying watch this I cast my plastic into the air at a gull (a one in a million shot) and lasso the bird and course releasing the gull unharmed and there was the time on a rain miserable morning I decided to through big baits only I make a full cast throwing a 9" grama lure when it landed the line wrapped over it self and the bait didnt dive just splashed on the surface, it actually looked cool just like a dying fish splash after splash the bait came closer I can barley make out something behind the bait maybe 4ft behind and 4 ft below I am in complete awe... this thing is shaped like a shark and huge I am running out of space and hes not spooked my heart is pounding at about that point the lure un tangles it self and goes into a dive swim mode this should turn on a fish to strike but no! allmost in slow motion this musky swims right by me in full view feet away from my boat ( fish of a life time ) I have caught many different species of large fish fresh and salt water my best memories arent the ones I caught but the special moments in between

rocknreel

Thanksgiving weekend 2014

My family and I head north to the cottage. I'm extremely excited for my son ( 3 years old ) at the time to get into his first pickerel. You can catch them at night right from the dock. First two nights the waves a crashing the dock. Causing it to be unfishable. Night after night breaking my sons heart that we wouldn't be going fishing. Finally the last night we are out there is calm. So the three generations dad (papa) myself and my son head down to the dock. We were using jumbo minnows on sinkers. My son kept asking me where his bobber was as he had never fishing with something else before. The he tells me " daddy I feel something heavy I think I got a fish " I reassure him that there a weight on the other end and a minnow, and that's why it's heavy. After about a minute or so he tells me again something heavy, he's thinks he's got a fish and that he's going to reel it in. So I tell him ok buddy bring it in. Not thinking much of the bend in his little rod with weight that's in it. I'm putting a new minnow on my hook and I look over and there a hole bunch of splashing beside the dock! He did! He had his first pickerel on! But I dropped the ball. I didn't have the net ready and it got off right at the dock. At this time I had so many emotions. My 3 year old just caught a pickerel all by himself. I was having one only proudest moments at the same time being devastated I wasn't there with the net for him. He didn't get another bit all night. I ended up getting 3 a little after that. So I'd just set to hook and hand him my rod and let him reel them in. I got to show him how they have teeth and how you have to measure the fish to make sure it's an ok size to keep ( slot limit ). And he seemed to be ok that we didn't get his on the dock. For the next three weeks my son told everyone that would listen that he caught 4 fish and daddy didn't catch any. But we only got 3 Because daddy didn't have the net ready for the first one. I have caught 1000s of fish in my life. And the pickerels caught that night are my favourite 4 of all time

Narrowing it down to one fishing story is tough. There was the time me and my brother and dad went fishing just out front of the cabin, while our friends went across the lake for walleye. When they returned with no fish and saw our full stringer of walleye they were quite upset. Or the time I watched my dad fight a muskie on his ultra light rod. The reel got all tangled up, so he stopped fighting the fish, cut out the birds nest and tied the 2 ends together, then resumed the fight. Or the time my dad fell head long off the dock I to the bottom of the boat. But probably one of my favorite fishing moments was 2 October's ago fishing Baptiste lake. My dad and I were fishing in a narrow part of the lake for pike. After an hour or so of no sound except our casting and retrieving my dad pipes up and says "so nothings changed. Ever since you were a kid you were content to just sit and fish". I made up some quick response about waiting for the big one, but in reality I just really enjoyed the time we shared together all these years. It was the last fall fishing trip I took with my dad before he passed away. I have since bought a boat and take my boys out every chance I get to start some new memories.

I fish the Trent River for Walleye with streamers in fast water in that 20 minute window when they move in and turn on.

Many years ago I bought a rod kit from George Upthegrove near Guelph; it turned out to be a very nice walleye rod until I shortened it with the power window of my station wagon.

It had light green agate eyes and one day at dusk I had just finished making a cast and started working the rod when about a 18 inch walley jumped a couple of inches and clamped on to the end of my rod.

He must have been a follower that got attracted to the green rod tip. He hung on for a few seconds until I tried to swing the rod and that is one you never forget!

How much more positive can one be as a new boat owner?

This incident happened less than 20 years ago, when I was still a novice boat owner, it was my fourth time fishing Lake Scugog on a used 14’ fibreglass 45hp boat/trailer package that I bought for only $700. “What a steal!” was how I bragged to others around me!

I was ready to go fish at Lake Scuggog one weekday morning to avoid the crowd, and decided to use my old 1988 Ford Econoline to tow my boat. Just after I drove out of my driveway, to enter a major busy street, I heard a Loud bang! That was when I noticed on my rear view mirror, my boat and trailer came off, got left behind 50 feet away from my vehicle. When I got out and noticed my rusted van bumper actually got disengaged off my vehicle, it fell on the ground, with the boat/trailer still hooked to it. I told myself, “Was I lucky that day to not experience any accident?”

I drove home the old bumper and the van, switch to my other 1991 Mercury Sable, hooked up my boat and headed straight to Lake Scuggog. I told myself it was nice to have my wife back up vehicle.

After I arrived at the boat launch at Port Perry, I was glad there were no other vehicles on site for a weekday fishing. Being new at this boat fishing adventure, I found it challenging to launch the boat by myself, especially when lake water was quite rough, due to a storm was about to enter the area. Either I was being naïve of safe boating procedure to not pre-check weather condition, or nothing seemed to deter me from wanting to enjoy a good fishing day.

After less than 15 minutes of driving the boat away from the launch………… the boat engine conked out, then no luck restarting the engine again even continuously pulling the starter cord. At this point, the weather turned for the worse, rain started to pour real hard, thunder and lightning sounded every so often, dark clouds surrounded the entire sky. I gave up re-starting the engine, decided to anchor down. Then the anchor came off the rope, and it fell to the bottom of the lake. I tried to paddle hard hoping to get the boat closer to shore, but the wind was so strong ……..I felt helpless to control the boat. I started to panic, even became religious, and prayed to God for some miracles. I blew my emergency horn many times, but no one was on site on the lake, as far as I could see. Finally the wind forced my boat to a swampy area, with no one or visible houses on site.

My boat was stuck on muddy shallow water for more than an hour. Boat started to show signs of couple inches of water accumulated from the continuous downpour rain. Regardless of how hard I tried to paddle the boat out, the current just pushed my boat back to the swampy area. I was exhausted, just waited inside the boat……Fear and helplessness surrounded me. I had three options:

1. To get out of the boat, walked through the swamp, and hope to find someone to help me. What if the muddy area was like quick sand, I could be in worse situation!

2. Wait inside the boat for as long as I could, and hope another boat would pass by the same day. Since, I had some water and sandwiches, I told myself,…… life can’t be that bad?

3. Try to restart the boat, hoping the engine would start again, but with the possibility of destroying the propeller if it hits any obstacle below the boat.

I tried the third option instead, crossed my finger, pulled the starter rope cord………To my surprise, the engine started with just one pull. I then hoped for the best that nothing on the shallow water would hit the lower unit or the propeller, in spite of visible tree limb, rocky debris seemed to be surrounding the area. After few minutes of engine forcing the boat out of muddy waters, I was so glad to be able to get my boat out to the middle of the lake. Being Stupid or Adventurous has always been in my blood….. I turned off the engine, and re-started it again few times; the engine seemed to run normally to my amazed.

By afternoon on the water, rain had stop, the storm had moved on, and water got calm. I told myself, since I was already there, I might as well fish…………and that was what I did for few hours.

No fish were landed that day, but I do not have much to complain either, my goal was to fish regardless of unforeseen circumstance.

After I got back home after that long scary experience, I realized the boat Voltage regulator was not working or damaged, the regulator had not charged my boat battery all along since I bought it weeks ago. After my 4th attempt fishing with an un-charged battery on the boat, the battery finally gotten too weak to be safe enough to go boat fishing again. Then, I remembered the day I bought the boat, I was so excited, cheerfully thank the Seller, for being such a nice guy, sold me the boat ………….at a good price, he even threw in a Brand new battery…… as a bonus.

I tinkered, fixed the boat up to perfect running condition since that memorable day, had great fishing success with it, until I sold it for $1000 due to few upgrades , and end up owning another good deal used 16 ft boat that cost $1400.

What ever happen to this 1988 Ford Econoline van, even after the Bumper got welded back, and had towed my boat many more times after the memorable day?.......In 2007, It got stolen one day while parked at the back of our work office. My children, wife, our landlord, and the police all commented.........Who would want to steal such a rusted old van?

Archived