First Wraps

Tom S

So I've stripped down one of the fiberglass rods I purchased. It had damaged wraps so I decided to strip it right down to the blank and give it a new life.

This is my first test wrap. What do you think? Looking at you Cliff...

FA0AF565-3180-4110-89F9-F45025FCA245.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a Herter's blank - they used to be a mail order rod building company. 5-6 weight if I remember correctly.

Showed up like this:

IMG_4277.jpg

After stripping all the old varnish off the dark burgundy woven glass made an appearance.

Good to see your using a B thread it looks like.Dont go past the guide lift or your epoxy will hill when applied. Also a tip for you..instead of using tape to hold the guide in place heat the guide and run it across hot glue and put in place .Thats a little tip for you. I presume your putting the guide on the spine of the blank? . The thread work looks good so far. If you need any advice PM me.

Cliff

Good point on filing the guide foot down for a smooth transition, as is finding the spine....Cliff knows it well and builds some nice rods. Good luck with the build!!

Thanks for the tip on the hot glue - that sounds much easier than taping on one foot. Definitely need to spend some time filing the guide feet, it will make that transition much nicer.

Spine has been found and guides will be placed on it.

• 1 month later...

Spent some time fitting things tonight, before I start applying epoxy and making it permanent.

First, trying to get a shot of the refinished blank. Having trouble getting the camera to focus on the rod itself.

C70F2ACF-4B92-43E9-91C6-8F4C46E058F2.jpg

Made a spigot using an section out of an old rod

691B5302-0699-4CB8-B5C3-FD5445E21D5B.jpg

Trying the reel seat in an uplocking configuration

5CD6D747-A7EF-4961-B3DB-9E8FBCE4466F.jpg

And in a downlocking configuration

F557B9AE-6904-4AB2-8126-8D73C0ADA3DC.jpg

I'm leaning towards the downlocking configuration. It's going to move the reel back just a bit more to balance out the fiberglass.

And the overall shot

304B0013-931B-48A0-9412-987E916A6AC0.jpg

Looking good Tom. As a tip for you, use a barbecue rotisiere to turn your rod while applying the flex coat guide finish. A simple v shape piece of wood with soft support and a kids hair band work great. Heating the rod finish in an aluminum pie plate or bottom of a cut pop can will remove all the bubbles as well....looks good !!

Interesting your using spar varnish over epoxy. I know it can be used...just always thought the epoxy was quick n easy and a great finish. Snap some pictures of your progress. Any trim bands or fancy thread work going on?? My buddy does a real nice olive branch pattern...but too much for me. Ive done one rod..and it came out pretty good, but if i ever do another one i learned a few things from that first one. Its alot of time consuming work....so i can see why a custom build can get expensive.

From what I understand Spar Varnish can be removed and repaired a lot easier than epoxy, and should be able to stand up to freshwater use without any problems. Plus I'm a traditional kind of guy....

Nothing to fancy planned with the wraps. Just a burgundy wrap with a black trim band. I find that custom rods can quickly become gaudy with massive areas of complicated wraps and inlays and stickers and feathers and such. To me, those ornate touches can have a place but I prefer simple touches that keep things clean.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived