First Wraps

Tom S

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Sorting out wraps for another build tonight. Stripped down an old rod, underneath the old varnish and wraps I found a nice brown fiberglass blank.

Tried out a simple brown wrap with light grey trim bands (white thread was out of stock).

0A7461A6-BA70-4A0F-BD7A-912FCCF0CE22.jpg

Not bad, but I need to do a bit more guide prep. I think I'm also going to look at making the trim wraps thinner or doing an inlay of single wrap of white.

Trying out some different wraps tonight.

Nice narrow thread inlays. I like the way these turned out. Glossy finish is from colour preserver I applied to keep the wraps together.

CE7541C6-8980-49E4-AAB6-390BEE198A24.jpg

Tried an olive branch inlay. Not overly happy with this one - olive branches are a bit uneven, and I need to work on counting the threads so I center the feature between thread inlays.

C6D584FF-EECE-4E6A-B4F4-E952AF57D0E9.jpg

Keep on practicing....

I think the olive branch wraps look great Tom. Im sure its time consuming. I have a friend who does it and im positive hes working for peanuts the time he puts into rod building. Nice progression.

You guys are only saying that because you can't see the other side of the wrap.... I may have photographed the more acceptable side.

I'm thinking I'm going to clear coat the brown fiberglass blank, use stainless guides, black wraps with a single white inlay off the guide foot, and get a bit more decorative with the wrap ahead of the grip. Grip will be full wells, reel seat will be polished aluminum. No hook keeper or fighting butt.

Got to order a few more components (stripping guide and ferrules(I can never spell that correctly on the first try)) and then find the time to sit down and put it all together.

How about a feather inlay ahead of the grip? I had a few jungle ck put in and gives a nice touch? My buddy layed them in place with thread preserver then epoxy over the top.

Coat dried up nice and smooth. Worked on fitting the grip tonight. Got a bit more work to do - I ended up grabbing and inletted grip because it's all that the store had. Doesn't work with the reel seat. So I've got a couple cork rings on the way - I'm going to cut off the inletting, glue on a new ring, and blend the grip into the hood of the reel seat.

71E5D37C-C83F-4F3E-B6F5-02C1CF19C999.jpg

Love that clear coated fiberglass

C99372CB-C1E3-40EE-9AD4-0B4E56294A27.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grip is blended into the reelseat and both are epoxied on.

Did this nice guide wrap to start

DC29C6A5-4708-4B8A-8AEC-A6568FCD368B_1.j

Then I realized I had placed my stripper guide off by 10". Had 20" from the reelseat in my head, shoudl be 30". Dang.

Removed the guide, wrapped it again in the correct position. Checked alignment, off by a bit. Tried to adjust, bumped the guide with my clumsy fingers and wrecked the wrap.

That's enough punishment for tonight.

It's a great book - perfect weight and binding for tensioning the thread.

Making progress. 4 of 9 guides wrapped.

90FEC7B6-B22D-4AF5-A6E4-EA3013524479.jpg

AE8E523D-6C0B-45BF-A4AA-F8830E979043.jpg

Picked up a Shakespeare Super Condex 4 1/4" the other night, so I guess my next rod will need to be a switch or spey to give that reel somewhere to live. It has a thick foot on it, so I'll need to make sure I get a reel seat that will work with it.

48D149E4-37E3-4375-A9B8-3F2138D64170.jpg

That's a lot of reel. How is the drag on it. I know you obviously haven't tried it on the water yet, but does it seem to be a good one?

Click drag, so just one step up from a centerpin. Fooling around with my son I think it will be more than capable.

You sure you don't have 30 plus years of rod building experience? ;)

Lol. I don't have 30 years of life experience!

Almost finished with the varnish on the wraps. Got one I need to fix yet, will post pictures up soon. Still need to do a butt wrap and some trim features, working a bit out of order but I wanted to get the guide wraps varnished so they wouldn't get dusty or damaged while waiting for me to finish the rest up.

Picked up an Orvis Golden Eagle 7wt blank at the Hamilton Bassmasters swap meet this morning. Pretty excited about that, going to be a nice rod for bass.

Archived