Happy Birthday Lefty!

ron4blues

Well actually it was yesterday, but its still great that we have this legend still active in the fly fishing community. Lefty Kreh started life on February 26th, 1926. He gave us new patterns (Lefty's Deceiver among them) and pioneered many casting and angling techniques that are in common usage today.

On the spey...you need to be a lefty and a righty.lol. Never heard of the guy...but heard of the deciever. Met an old fly casting champ and pioneer last year introduced to me by Rick Whorwood....he was from Scotland but his name slips my mind. Im useless at names...2 seconds after they are introduced i already forgot your name..lol.

When I started fly fishing back in the early 1980's, I read everything I could get my hands on: books, journals, magazines. Two names that consistently came up were those of Lee Wulff and Lefty Kreh. In many respects they were the gurus of fly angling in North America.

Any good books coach that are "must reads" ? Ive watched lots youtube videos on everything fly related. I get to lots of tying events and attending the spey clave is always pretty educational. Being new to it...i have the thirst to learn more as well. My wife is right into it as well and that makes for common discussion at times. I dont catch tons on the fly...but i do have the passion for it. Hoping to up the odds and learn to bring it all together for the best opportunity possible. Mostly the challange is what i like. My wife is going to introduce me to a guy from Russia that is a champion fly caster who is a patient at her clinic, and im hoping to get involved with this guys tournaments he runs. I need challange, i want to see what the best are doing, and what i need to do to get there.

By Lefty there's "Fly Casting Fundamentals," "Salt Water Fly Patterns," (many of which work just fine in fresh water), "Lefty Kreh's Longer Fly Casting," and one you might like called "Fly Fishing for Bass: Smallmouth, Largemouth and Exotics." There's dozens more by Lefty including books on knots, gear, salt water species etc.

Others include "Poul Jorgenson's Book of Fly Tying," "Lee Wulff on Flies," "The Atlantic Salmon," by Lee and "Bush Pilot Angler," (also Lee's).

Lee Wulff's wife Joan is considered one of the world's top fly casters and instructors. She also has three or four books published and is still active as a columnist, and as an instructor at the Wulff School of Fly Fishing."

There's hundreds more interesting reads. I couldn't possibly list all of them here. But one does come to mind and that is a book called "Chicken Soup for the Fisherman's Soul." It will make you laugh, cry, think, and generally just relax on those days you want to be out there but can't get away.

Archived