E-Test

smerchly

I have 2 trucks to get tested this month ....took the 02 F150 in & it failed ! The guy asked if I had any thing done lately & I said the battery is new (about 1 month ago) .He said that is the problem ...the pute doesn't recognize all the functions ,so I need to drive it another 100k or more & get it retested ....if it's not ready then .....drive it some more .....So , the purpose of E-testing is to help "drive clean" and save the world , but I must go out and burn up gas to reset the computer ?

My van needs the tailpipe test & I'm also just burning up gas to get the "pass E-test" stuff through the system ....another 250 k , just to help pass the test . It's very plain to me that the E-testing program is a farce . The gov't knows if you fail , you may have to pay out some big bucks to get it fixed , which brings in more tax for them (hst on parts & labour)

I have been told you can get the sticker & still drive on a failed test , but can't sell the vehicle ? .....That would be fine with me as I intend to keep them until they are ready for the scrap yard .

t

I have 2 trucks to get tested this month ....took the 02 F150 in & it failed ! The guy asked if I had any thing done lately & I said the battery is new (about 1 month ago) .He said that is the problem ...the pute doesn't recognize all the functions ,so I need to drive it another 100k or more & get it retested ....if it's not ready then .....drive it some more .....So , the purpose of E-testing is to help "drive clean" and save the world , but I must go out and burn up gas to reset the computer ?

My van needs the tailpipe test & I'm also just burning up gas to get the "pass E-test" stuff through the system ....another 250 k , just to help pass the test . It's very plain to me that the E-testing program is a farce . The gov't knows if you fail , you may have to pay out some big bucks to get it fixed , which brings in more tax for them (hst on parts & labour)

I have been told you can get the sticker & still drive on a failed test , but can't sell the vehicle ? .....That would be fine with me as I intend to keep them until they are ready for the scrap yard .

t

just picked up a f150 and had to be e-tested took a chance and did nothing to it and the truck sat for a year it past with flying colors first thing they asked me is the

engine light on no its not 2 days later the light comes on so i think them not testing them with the engine light on is a farce as well they use it for excuse to hit you

with another bill to see y the light is on the hole e test thing is a pane i can go on and on about other things that is hurting the planet but y good luck with the test it will pass smerch

i never had a prob with failing a e-test with a ford yet.

I feel your pain. Yep it's definitely a scam. They don't even measure emissions any more just monitor the computer codes. If you have a check engine light on your in trouble. I just went through this with my 07 Yukon which is famous for throwing computer codes on a regular basis, I think I had to spend $400 at the stealership to try to resolve before getting ok for sticker. I'm actually surprised the bulb hasn't burnt out on the check engine light yet. I'm sure I'll me going through the same thing in two years. Argh.

I think there are ways to cancel engine lights using the key or using code readers .....

The computer on my F 150 hasn't reset itself since the new battery was installed , so the tester can't read any info yet . I don't think letting it idle for 8 hrs would do it or I would just let it idle all day .

I think there are ways to cancel engine lights using the key or using code readers .....

The computer on my F 150 hasn't reset itself since the new battery was installed , so the tester can't read any info yet . I don't think letting it idle for 8 hrs would do it or I would just let it idle all day .

ya you can cancel it out usind a code reader and at the same time you can see y its on no idling won't help it

As for the fail here is the info from the Ontario site here

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-clean-test-results-and-repairs

Conditional pass

Owners whose vehicles require extensive emissions-related repairs can obtain a Conditional Pass.

The Conditional Pass is only available for a light-duty vehicle that:

fails an initial Drive Clean test

has had up to $450 in repairs at a Drive Clean facility to repair emissions-related problems, and

fails a re-test

A Conditional Pass can only be used to renew your licence plates. It cannot be used to transfer ownership. It is valid for 1 year.

As for the fail here is the info from the Ontario site here

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drive-clean-test-results-and-repairs

Thanks for that Chris , I'm hoping after driving a 100k or more , it will pass as it did with flying colours two years ago .

....by the way ....100 k is for "k'ilometers" lol

My 25 year old van has 109,000 kms & runs like a top . .......so far ..... :unsure:

OH I thought there was someting wrong with my thinking. I was thinking 100k is as in 100,000 not as 100km.

I was lazy not adding the "m" to km lol .....just trying to keep up to the new vocab.4 txtg :read:

Thanks for that Chris , I'm hoping after driving a 100k or more , it will pass as it did with flying colours two years ago .

....by the way ....100 k is for "k'ilometers" lol

My 25 year old van has 109,000 kms & runs like a top . .......so far ..... :unsure:

I'm amazed at the problems many have had with Drive Clean. I drive a Ford Lemon/Freestar. Nothing but headaches, yet it has never failed the drive clean.

Similar thing with my 03 dodge ram, engine light was on with 3 different codes, was told it was just a vapor line $25, than I had to drive it, Picked it up after work drove the truck from port colborne to vineland brought it back, passed e test, when I picked it up when all said and done, the engine light came back on with same code lol.

But what I find funny is it has an exhaust leak, and needs muffler, mechanic said that wont affect the e test, and it didnt but... I just dont understand it....

Similar thing with my 03 dodge ram, engine light was on with 3 different codes, was told it was just a vapor line $25, than I had to drive it, Picked it up after work drove the truck from port colborne to vineland brought it back, passed e test, when I picked it up when all said and done, the engine light came back on with same code lol.

But what I find funny is it has an exhaust leak, and needs muffler, mechanic said that wont affect the e test, and it didnt but... I just dont understand it....

I have a leak in the catalytic converter same thing the guy told me not a prob but my buddy had a exhaust leak and they told him to get it fixed

then come back can't understand it nether

Bill I have a code reader you can use for your 02. Easy to use and read. Will save you a trip and a few bucks if it's not ready.

Let me know.

Bill I have a code reader you can use for your 02. Easy to use and read. Will save you a trip and a few bucks if it's not ready.

Let me know.

Thanks Dan .....I drove it for over 100km today on the QEW , turned on every button on the dash , including A.C. and cruise control , then some city driving , took it back & their code reader said there were still 2 codes not recognized by the computer . They said to drive it again to Hamilton & back & retest again . What a complete waste of gas & time to pass a "drive clean" test . As stated above , you can have an exhaust leak , don't matter about the old tail pipe test . They get more failures with a service light on . I will burn up more gas tomorrow and take the truck to a place in Thorold near the arena where they do Etests without waiting . If I still have the same problem , my mechanic is only 2 min. away (Ken Cosgrove) & he will fix the problem & get it tested to pass . The van is next.....

I don't require a code reader with my dodge ram 1500, what you do is put the key in the ignition, turn it all the way forward ( but not starting the vehicle) and back off, 3 times, so forward-back. forward-back, forward-back, than forward, leave it and look at where it shows the odometer reading it will flash a code, write it down and Google it, of all the times I've done it, its always been right (reason).

apparently you can do this with all vehicles its just a matter of figuring out the trick sequence.

Hey guys, what this New E-Test does is to make sure your vehicles diagnostic system is working properly. Nothing more........ All vehicles from 1996 have what they call OBDII system (On-Board Diagnostics).... The system gives you or your mechanic access to the status of various vehicle subsystems... So when the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) does a diagnostic check/test from a multitude of sensors in the vehicle, if it finds a problem it sends the error to the OBD system and it stores it as a code..... This usually happens when you start the vehicle, but not all diagnostics get checked until the vehicle is at full operating temp... Also some checks like vacuum only get's checked at certain mileage intervals... I had this with my commuter car and had the check engine light come on, it was a vacuum leak, not easy to find if it's not the gas cap.... I noticed that at about 150 km the light would come on... Then I had to take it in for the new E-Test... It failed right after I had cleared the code.... So they told me to drive the car for 3 days as well and come back.... I did and decided to clear the light again before I returned, but I watch my km's, as I got to 130 km's I took the car back in for it's retest.... And it passed no problem, but guess what, got 15 km away going home and light came back on.... Yes it's a money grab, especially now a days with the newer cars out there......

After talking to a friend who owns his own garage, he said that my trick is a way around it that a lot of people don't know about.. But he did say some codes like the ones that come back as soon as you start the vehicle need to be addressed.........

Cheers Bic4d

Your right bic, the onboard diagnostics must run through all tests to clear the computer. So clearing a code with a reader is not going to get you a pass. The computer must first relearn and run the diagnostic for that code. This is called the drive cycle. Evap system codes are very hard to pinpoint without a smoke machine. Common issues are the gas cap or issues with the evap canister or its components. With all the cheap gas lately...did I just say that...lol. People are filling their cars until it comes out on the ground....this is not good on the charcoal canister on the older cars and will throw a code by pushing the loose charcoal into the gas tank vent tube causing a code. Code readers can be bought for $100 and plugged into your diagnostic port. Worth having if you like to fix your own problems, although you still need some mechanical experience. Process of elimination will usually solve the problem...but more complex problems require more diagnostic equipment that most of us cant afford. The internet and a code reader these days can usually find the problem. The E-Test is a joke...its an outright cash cow that serves no purpose.

When e-testing started out in Ontario it served a purpose. There were thousands of vehicles on the road that were serious polluters. Most of those old "beaters" are gone now.

I worked as a service writer for a number of years and I can attest to the fact that there were cars out there that needed to be taken off the road. But even then what I was more concerned with were the vehicles that were mechanically unsafe in other ways. We saw vehicles come into the shop that were so unfit to drive that mechanics actually refused to work on them for safety reasons. Brakes front end and suspension issues were the most common.

But in Ontario, unless you get caught in a Ministry spot-check, the only time a vehicle needs to be safety inspected is when there is a transfer of ownership. Someone could buy a car and drive it for years without ever once having it inspected for safety concerns.

Some jurisdictions require a safety inspection every two years when licence renewal comes due. I'd much rather see regular safety inspections over e-testing. It would at the end of the day serve the same purpose, since the cars with parts falling off them are probably also the ones that are polluters anyway, and it would make our roads safer.

When e-testing started out in Ontario it served a purpose. There were thousands of vehicles on the road that were serious polluters. Most of those old "beaters" are gone now.

I worked as a service writer for a number of years and I can attest to the fact that there were cars out there that needed to be taken off the road. But even then what I was more concerned with were the vehicles that were mechanically unsafe in other ways. We saw vehicles come into the shop that were so unfit to drive that mechanics actually refused to work on them for safety reasons. Brakes front end and suspension issues were the most common.

But in Ontario, unless you get caught in a Ministry spot-check, the only time a vehicle needs to be safety inspected is when there is a transfer of ownership. Someone could buy a car and drive it for years without ever once having it inspected for safety concerns.

Some jurisdictions require a safety inspection every two years when licence renewal comes due. I'd much rather see regular safety inspections over e-testing. It would at the end of the day serve the same purpose, since the cars with parts falling off them are probably also the ones that are polluters anyway, and it would make our roads safer.

100% true i remember me and the wife driving down a street we had 3 cars in front of us and a truck in front of them all of a sudden cars started to swerve thank god i know not to tail gate

the tailgate of the truck just fell off going down the road there was way to many unsafe cars and trucks on the road

I haven't read or heard about unsafe vehicles causing accidents but certainly have heard of unsafe loads flying off into the roads...including transport tires. . I had to brake on the hwy yesterday as a transport trailer had big chunks of ice flying off & crashing on the road behind the trailer ..... & the driver is oblivious to it , and can do nothing anyway . This happens very frequently . My old van probably pollutes more than newer ones but they allow for the old technology to a degree but still no comparison to the thousands of semi's on the hwys today . It has the tail pipe emission test which in my view tells the real story about pollution . The computer test doesn't address the actual carbon emissions from vehicles and thus a tax grab . As coachman said a bi-yearly safety check would pull a lot of vehicles off the road and cost big bucks to many drivers ........and lots of revenue for the big house.

In my time behind the service counter I've seen many vehicles that were unfit. We had a policy that if a vehicle was unsafe, we could not allow it to move under its own power on our property, which meant that the customer had to call a tow truck. Of course there was nothing stopping the customer from driving it once it was off the property, but there was little we could do.

One customer I recall well had a mid-80's Camaro. He had decided to do his own brake work, and quickly realized that he was in over his head, so he brought it to us. He had botched what he had started. He couldn't figure out how to detach the brake cables, so he cut them. likewise for the brake lines. When we removed the brake drums there was nothing inside: no shoes, no wheel cylinders, no hardware! And this guy DROVE the car to our shop. When we told him what the price would be he asked for his keys back. We told him we'd release his vehicle when the tow truck arrived. He actually became angry enough that he called the police. The police officer who attended told the guy that if the car move one foot under its own power, he would be arrested.

Another customer came in for tires. When we pulled the front tires off, the mechanic was amazed to find that the brake rotors had been worn completely off. The rotor hub was there, but no disc!

On another occasion a customer brought in a car for a tune up. The mechanic immediately noted that there was over 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, so he checked under the car to find that the bushings and brackets for the steering rack were missing. The car could not be safely driven any distance.

A tired old Crown Vic was brought in for exhaust work. As soon as the mechanic sat in the driver's seat he heard some unusual noises coming from under the car. He checked and found that the frame was broken clean through on both sides. Again, not driveable.

And that's to say nothing of the bald tires, burned out lamps, leaky gas tanks and rusted out floor pans we saw constantly.

Wow sounds like you seen it all i cant believe he called the cops on you guys knowing the shape of his car looks good on him

And to know... I can't get my plates renewed because the puter won't recognize new data from a changed battery , until a 100 liters of gasoline are burned up ..... :dunno:

And to know... I can't get my plates renewed because the puter won't recognize new data from a changed battery , until a 100 liters of gasoline are burned up ..... :dunno:

WOW so you put a new battery in and you have to put all them kms and a 100 liters of gas before you can do a e-test thats not right what a joke

and not a very funny one at that so you have to hope if you have to replace a battery you have to change it a year before your e test and not just before your

test they have to make things so difficult they have to do something to change things or start driving a truck from the 80's or get farm plates lol as farmers don't

need a e-test and i don't understand that one nether i thought that was just for a vehicle used on a farm but you see farm plates on vehicles every were

Archived