Back On The Vice Tonight..

snaggy

Hey guys, after a long busy winter I finally had some free time to start tying flies after my short stint last season. I decided to tie up some buggers and mickey finns as those are my most commonly thrown fly for me for bass on the grand. Feel free to criticize and give me tips, also if anyone knows some good and easy to tie patterns for bass and trout let me know! thanks! laugh.png

20150325_204701_edit_1427331221777.jpg

I'm not really going to call my self good enough to offer advice, but I'll pass along some tips that I have been given.

-When you sit down to do some tying, tie up at least 5-10 of the same pattern. I used to jump around from pattern to pattern, but now try to follow this advice and find that it makes tying much easier. Sit down one night and tie buggers, another night for clousers, another for a nymph pattern, etc. You will learn more from tying the same pattern over and over than from trying a lot of different techniques in one session

-Looks like you trimmed the back of the bucktail. I used to find it very difficult to stack, especially dyed bucktail. Then someone told me to wash the bucktail. What a difference. Warm water, a bit of dish soap or shampoo to degrease, rinse it out very well, and make sure it dries all the way through before storage. Now the hairs will slide against each other better in the hair stacker and the tips will line up nicely.

-Wet your fingers when using marabou and stroke it down. It will cling together and be easier to tie in and get lined up properly. Looks funny until it dries out, but much easier to handle.

And get some olive buggers as well. Big black or olive buggers drive smallmouth crazy.

Zonkers work wonders on many species including bass: you might want to try tying some up. Once you get the hang of it, they are not difficult. Black, orange and pink/fuschia work well.

I'll echo Tom's advice on tying several of one pattern at a time. It also helps when it comes to keeping your materials organized.

Also, these are all great fishing flies, you won't win any points for elegance but the bass don't care.

One thing you should try to work on is building a better taper in the body. A lopsided body can sometimes make a fly swim on its side or even spin on retrieval. Pick smaller hackles and try not to bulk it up too much.

Deer hair deceivers are annoying and the hair can pull out. Try a small drop of super glue and less thread so you don't need to build such a big head.

All in all, looking good dude.

Archived