First Time Kayaking Lake Ontario

yakfish

I got to launch the yak yesterday. It was my first time having the kayak out on any of the great lakes. I've always been a river/small lake kayak fisherman so this was a new experience for me. I had planned on trolling cranks and spoons for browns. I launched at the beacon and as son as I got out of the marina and onto the main lake I got the feeling this wasn't a good idea!LOL. So I turned around and went back into the marina. I tried trolling around in there for about an hour or so. I marked a couple fish hugging the bottom but I didn't see much else on the Finder in there. Water temps were 37 degree F. If it was warmer I would have spent some time on the main lake to get used to the feel of rolling water under the kayak. But I didn't feel like it would be a good idea to test my luck in the frigid water. It was a beautiful day yesterday and it felt good to get out anyway. I got some descent pics too!

IMG_20150401_151447543_zpsuaglutte.jpg

OH MAN! theres ice everywhere! haha you're hardcore! just cant wait eh? Launch for free I hope, if not there is free launching at two places in that general area. The lake can be a mean lady that's for sure. I never worry about flipping because my boat is beast. Trust your boat but wait for warm weather to fight the waves.

Jealous by the way! I want to get slimed pretty badly.

OH MAN! theres ice everywhere! haha you're hardcore! just cant wait eh? Launch for free I hope, if not there is free launching at two places in that general area. The lake can be a mean lady that's for sure. I never worry about flipping because my boat is beast. Trust your boat but wait for warm weather to fight the waves.

Jealous by the way! I want to get slimed pretty badly.

Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I'm always looking for new places to launch.

Sounds good! There is an amazing launch just on the other side of where the beacon is. Where the water from the lake flows into the harbour and bay. I often launch at this spot and paddle to the ship. Amazing vehicle access and not much congestion on busy days. Its home to a rowing club but I haven't seen much action there, not compared to the Henley anyway. I like areas without much boat traffic. Better chance to catch lol

Sounds good! There is an amazing launch just on the other side of where the beacon is. Where the water from the lake flows into the harbour and bay. I often launch at this spot and paddle to the ship. Amazing vehicle access and not much congestion on busy days. Its home to a rowing club but I haven't seen much action there, not compared to the Henley anyway. I like areas without much boat traffic. Better chance to catch lol

I know where that launch is. I actually just went by there to take a look about an hour ago! There is a closed gate across the drive going down there toady. Not sure when it will reopen. I also went by the Beacon again. The lake looks really good and I'm thinking I might try it again. Lots of people out there today though.

The launch you guys are talking about is now a conservation area under the NPCA, here's the link:

http://www.npca.ca/conservation-areas/jordan-harbour/

Yes that's the one. Only downfall is the open-close times and the season. But its nice to go to a place that is maintained. Opens in May.

I also launch at the Henley island where there is also rowing during the summer. There is a dedicated launch spot with a new dock and everything. And its for kayaks/canoes only. I am not sure it is online as it is fairly new. I love a good launch site

can't launch boats with motors in at the conservation area launch and its free unlike the marina in Jordan.... but thats a bonus for us kayakers!

Archived