I Guess If It Looks Like A Deer At 3Oo Yards, U Can Shoot At It?

Slevin

I'm not looking at this as a white - FN thing .....it is careless discharge of a firearm resulting in the death of a human being . The charges should run on this merit as there is no excuse for this to happen , even if booze was a factor ......I'm sure the dead mans family would like to see some punishment handed out .

Ya you are right shouldn't look at it like that. It is a tragedy that should of never happened. It's just frustrating

I'm not looking at this as a white - FN thing .....it is careless discharge of a firearm resulting in the death of a human being . The charges should run on this merit as there is no excuse for this to happen , even if booze was a factor ......I'm sure the dead mans family would like to see some punishment handed out .

With all due respect Smerch, I wish I could see it that way. But there is no way that those charges should have been dropped. That man blatantly disregarded a number of hunting and firearm regulations and laws and because of his poor choices another man paid with his life. Now he's just let go? I can understand that the prosecution needs to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a crime was committed, but that should be settled with at least a trial in a situation like this. If at that point he is declared not guilty I could agree with the verdict.

I've seen to much crap go on in Haldimand County to not see this as a FN issue. And I'll clarify that statement before it gets misunderstood by saying this. There are many good people around here with Native Status and who live on the Res, but there are also a number of bad apples that like to play dirty politics and use underhanded tactics to get what they want. The provincial and federal governments have decided to turn a blind eye to the issue, and because of that the non-native and law-abiding native populations suffer because of the actions of a few.

I agree there should be more investigation . People want to know the truth . It can tarnish the whole hunting aspect of hunters who know and abide by all the rules of safe hunting . I have read that he "may" have shot at a deer and the "stray" bullet killed the bow hunter . A lawyer could use that in his defense . Some said that he should still not have pulled the trigger until he knew was was behind the deer .....problem there is the bow hunter was wearing camo ....not likely visible by other hunters . There have been hunting "accidents" that have killed others , some accidentally , some outright murders ......but very hard to prove without lengthy investigations . Will we always know the truth ? In this case I think they are shoving it under the rug partly because it is a native issue , plus as in any shooting of this type by ANY hunters , it is extremely hard to prove the shooter was negligent and totally at fault . I hope ,for the sake of the dead mans family that they can resolve this case with a court trial .

It does not matter what we want, or what we think the courts should have done. In canada there is no "one law" that all Canadians are bound to, and the law societies, and governments, do not want that to change. The "accident" occurred on reservation lands. The laws on those lands are different for different people. Therefore, the Crown could not possibly obtain a conviction.

We have many layers of laws for various "special" communities in Canada. Native, Metis, French, etc... Take your pick. And for that you can thank the politicians and the lawyers.

It's probably a dirty trade off with the natives. You let us hunt the short hills and botanical gardens....natives only, without a fuss..and we'll forget about the whole thing....something is definatly happening behind the scenes imo

Sad none the less

Archived