New Fly Rod

Catfish

I'm looking into a new rod so I'm not stuck using my 7ft 3wt for streamers again. I'm probably gonna get a 5wt between 8 and 9 ft. I'm open to recommendations on the actual rod and also the length. It will be for primarily streamers but I may use it for dries or maybe even nymphs if I'm really desperate. I usually fish the forks of the credit but will also bring it on trips.

Here are my ideas so far:

-St croix legend elite

-Loomis Pro 4x LP (coming out july 2015)

-Douglas DXF

-Redington butter stick

-G. Loomis streamdance GLX (discontinued, could get a good sale)

-Loop optistream

My max price is about $500 for just the rod.

Haha.....you not selling that you die hard! I have a float rod to trade you for it? Lol. And i will throw in a jar of roe bags..lol. if i dont trim them youll never know your not fly fishing!!

Just a suggestion...space em out based on what u need not what u think is logical. Throw logic out the window with ur wallet. Also a 6 is more versatile than a 5 or 7. I also fished it today and hit a little fishy on a small pond...i cant sell it anymore...i love it again...goos luck

DaveC has some switch experience, so you might want to pick his brain. I do have a 14' spey rod in 10 weight, but its a 2-hander. Love the ability to punch a cast to where I need it in almost any conditions.

DaveC has some switch experience, so you might want to pick his brain. I do have a 14' spey rod in 10 weight, but its a 2-hander. Love the ability to punch a cast to where I need it in almost any conditions.

Don't use the switch much myself anymore, but my wife casts the 11'6 Scott Switch a mile. I just picked up the Echo Dec Hogan II 6.5 wt Spey rod and I love it. The echo spey is 12'6" and very nice easy to load rod with plenty of backbone and ideal for steelhead or Bass on the grand. The St Croix imperial is a very nice switch rod and can be had cheap if you look around.

My spey rod is an Imperial model 14010, which I don't think they're making anymore (they still make lighter versions). I love it! Its light for its size and paired with my Trion reel is well-balanced. I can under the right conditions punch 90 foot cast with little effort, and believe me, there are places where that distance comes in handy! There was one on ebay recently that went for a song!

Archived