Hunting Story Contest !

cplummer

We are having a hunting story contest here at NFN.(similar to the fishing story contest)

Please submit your best hunting story by April 27th

to win a turkey fan beard and leg mount courtesty of Gunner-2

Gunner is a taxidermist from Smithville and he has kindly offered this great prize!!!

Winner will be selected on the 28th of April.

thank you Gunner

ok lets see the great stories guys n gals..

the contest begins NOW.......

Cliff

I'll start the ball rolling with a short story .....I'll call it

Rabbit Fever .....

When I was 16 yrs. old I got my first gun for Christmas . It came in a box about 2 ft.long, 10" wide & 4" thick . I had no idea a shot gun was in that heavy box that contained a 3 piece gun set , & another small heavy box contained the shells . That was the first surprise ! My first day out with the new 20 gauge Cooey , accompanied by my Uncle Bill Pheasant ( that's my grandparents name) , proved to be a successful hunt . This hunt took place minutes from the back yard where large brush piles have been made clearing land . As we approached the first brush pile , a cottontail took off only a few yards in front of me . My uncle yelled , "shoot" ....As I raised the gun and pulled the hammer back , the gun discharged before I got the gun up to my shoulder ....thumb slipped off the hammer !! The rabbit ....??? It was very dead ....shot nearly took it's head off ! My Uncle said " Good shot" !! Did I ever tell him the truth ? .........

no way !!! :th_fudd: ................................ :bravo:

Just a note for the turkey hunters that enter there story i will use your bird this season for your mount that way you will get your own bird please note if your a turkey hunter

for those that enter and don't hunt turkey i will provide the mount

Come on guys lets get some good stories rolling here

For sure Cliff.....I haven't hunted for 10 years but came up with a story .......Every hunter has a story or two to tell ....one in the paper a few days ago where a guy shot his toe off ..... :crazy:

Well it has been a long time since I was hunting, but I do recall one memorable event.

My brother and I were out just before Thanksgiving for a day of grouse hunting. The area we liked to hunt was an abandoned mining community that few new about and fewer ventured to. Several of the town's occupants had gardens and small orchards that were still producing apples and drawing game animals.

We already had a bird each taken on a double flush early in the morning, but things had slowed down and we were thinking of packing it in by mid-afternoon. But first we decided to take one more stroll through the largest orchard. Halfway through, a single grouse flushed but flew between my brother and I so neither of us could get a shot. I watched the bird and saw it light in an apple tree about 40 yards behind us. I could see the branch the bird was on moving, but couldn't see the grouse itself.

All the same, shotgun up and ready, I slowly moved back toward the tree, thinking it would flush again when I got close. Well, I still couldn't see the bird, but I knew it was still there because the branch was moving. But the damned thing wouldn't flush! Closer and closer I crept, gun up and ready, and still the bird wouldn't break cover. Finally I was only a few feet from the tree; my shotgun muzzle was nearly touching the still-moving branch. And still no bird!

Suddenly the grouse couldn't take any more and flushed right across my line of sight. It happened so suddenly I fired out of reflex. The range from muzzle to bird couldn't have been more than a foot. As soon as I fired, the grouse fell to the ground at my feet and was thrashing around. I picked it up and dispatched it with a quick neck twist. And of course I was thinking how lucky I was. At that range, you'd think you would have a clean miss or a pulverized mass of blood and feather. But this bird seemed fine.

It was getting cold by then so my brother and I headed home, and waited til we got there before cleaning the birds. When I got to the grouse in question, I was amazed to find no pellets in its body at all! In fact, there wasn't a mark on it anywhere!

My best guess is that the shock from the muzzle blast stunned the bird and knocked it down. A million to one shot for sure!

was squirrel hunting and was crossing a field to get to a squirrel bush. About 30yds ahead at the edge of the bush a squirrel was running across a branch. Had a 22 and snapped a shot off and low and behold the squirrel dropped. Said to my partner " how did you like that shot" He said " did you shoot " and that he shot it. I said that I shot it and didn't hear him shoot. On checking the squirrel it was hit twice. Apparently we both shot at the same time and did not hear the others shot. That never happened again.

My father and myself got an invite last year from a friend to go hunt with him in Iowa for turkey. So last week we headed over. He was telling me stories about the farm(310acres) and all the deer and turkey experiences he's had there so I was getting pumped! He told me of a blind called the "circus wagon" which is an old corn wagon turned Into a blind and explained that it can moved anywhere on the farm. Upon arrival the land owner tells us the birds are hiting the food plots hard but not responding that great to calling, so he instructs us to sit in the circus wagon a wait it out.

I usually run and gun for turkey but I'm in new territory so that sounds fine with me. My buddy on the other hand figures he has a better plan so there we are sitting under a couple trees in the dark where "he knows" they roost.

After 2 hours 30 gobbles in the distance and a soar butt we decided to get up and try and find the birds

Low and behold we find them strutting 20yrds in front of the circus wagon! Lol

After they move off we sneak into the wagon wait 30min and start calling. Then they start working their way back out to the knocked over corn. The shot was a little farther than I wanted (50yrd) but the 31/2 mag dropped em!

I text dad to tell him and just as I sent it I hear a shot close by. And I knew it was him

We were both tagged out opening day and had the rest of the week to play cornhole and drink beer! Life is good!

55lsMrF.jpg

Y2A24NF.jpg

N2v4rJs.png

Many many years ago when young and dumb a friend and I went duck hunting in december. Typical december day cold with snow on the ground. Even though we were young we knew from experience that mergansers weren't on our hit list, just puddle ducks. A duck flew in, landed and paddled around but it was a merg so we didn't shoot. Wait a minute, that"s a mallard ! Too late , it's gone lol

Real slow morning with nothing flying until I do finally drop a mallard. So I go out to get it in a tinner with oar locks. get it back and put it right behind the blind. Later i get up to stretch and look back at the duck and it's not there !! WTF Couldn't be yotes as we were on an island. I got down and followed a little blood trail in the snow to some cattails at the waters edge and I see him just in the water, he looks dead, but can't reach him so go back and hop in the tinner and oar around to him. doo-doo he's moving away so I head back and get my shotgun and head around the island again. He's tight to the cattails so I wait and keep rowing. He keeps moving until he gets to the front of the blind and my bud finishes him off. Naturally I retrieve his duck for him.

Haha...thats a good one. I can picture you shooting that bird the second time. You must have laughed at that one.

I had a very interesting moose hunt a while back up in Thunder Bay..

I was bow hunting from a tree stand for moose and a cow and a calf came out walking the waters edge. I decided to take the cow and I made a perfect shot put an arrow in her chest at 30 yards. At the shot she ran out a little more into the edge of the water and turning the opposite way broadside. I put another arrow in her chest and she walked to shore and laid down. I wanted to get the calf as well and it had moved away and I shot my last arrow at it and misjudged distance and went under it.

I was out of arrows but I still wanted the calf. The cow was laying just in edge of scrub and I could see one of my arrows sticking out of her chest. That's when I got the crazy idea that I needed to get my arrow back. So...I climbed down with my bow and snuck towards the cow. I put my bow down and got closer and closer. She was watching me but was on her last legs...or so I thought. I was a couple feet away and wondering what to do when the calf bawled and the cow looked away. I saw my chance and lunged and pulled the arrow out. At that she exploded out and I dove over a deadfall. She ran back out into the water and stood there and the calf started towards her. I put my arrow back on as the calf walked by at 30 yards. I drilled the calf and it flipped over backwards and was dead on very short time. Seconds later the cow went down and I had 2 moose down.

I sat there stunned for a minute at what had happened and then figured I better get the guys. I was hunting off a lake and had a 10 minute boat ride back to camp. It had been thunderstorms and the other 9 guys had stayed in and when the storm abruptly stopped I had been the only one to go out because I was so close to camp. One of them met me at the dock and asked why I was back so soon, so I replied " I already got 2...I whould have stayed for more but I was out of arrows" . I laughed and then said "Really?"

We went and got the moose and that 10 minute boat ride was over an hour when towing 2 moose. After hanging and telling the story and having a few wobbly pops, it was a long and exciting day and I slept well that night.

Great story Mooseslayer ....hence the name eh ? :) My last 5 hunts for moose was at Arrow Lake to Rose Lake . We got many moose from that area . A hurricane leveled our spots and that was the end of our hunting there .

Lol That story was on Arrow Lake. We only hunted 2 years there and then went to Longlac area.That story was the year after the tress got leveled around the lake. I have shot 8 moose. 7 with the bow. I have 2 big bulls, 55 and 58 inch..the one is in top 10 all time archery in FROW. When I got it in 2001 in would have placed 6th and by the time the next edition came out I was 9th. Not sure where I am now as I haven't seen a recent edition. My archery group of 10 guys has shot ...I think 44 moose now.

Archived