Furled Leaders

ron4blues

I've used furled leaders quite a lot and I like them. Recently I decided to try making my own and tried following some Youtube videos. It should be simple, but getting the twists tight enough is a challenge. Have any of you made them? Any pointers?

• 2 months later...

OK. I have it figured out. And its absurdly simple. Now I'm going to experiment a bit with various different legnths and materials (flouro and mono).

OK. I have it figured out. And its absurdly simple. Now I'm going to experiment a bit with various different legnths and materials (flouro and mono).

Yes, I'm tapering them. So far I've made one with a 4 strand butt section, 3 strand in the middle and 2 strands for the end section. I'm thinking that by mixing flouro with the mono I can get different sink rates.

I like furled leaders because you can tailor them even more than a regular tapered leader. A stiffer butt section with a soft end for instance.

Furled leaders also have a bit more give to them so act as a bit of a shock absorber. They also have more surface area, so tend to make a better anchor for spey and other roll casts, which I use much more than conventional casting techniques.

Board member "Big Dog" made me some and they work really well. I tried playing with making them, ended up buying a wallet set of mow tips. Pricy, but cover all the depths in various sink rates. I still have 4 or 5 furled leaders that I pull out for bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived