Niagara Bar Kayak Fishing

yakfish

I think I've finally located a spot to launch from to access the Niagara bar for my kayak. I have done some Lake Ontario kayak trolling with some success this spring and would like to try the Bar next. I've not been out there yet so I will wait until conditions are favorable wind wise and make sure there are no storms in the near forecast.

I will target anything that will bite and is legal to target. My thought was to try drifting or slow trolling minnow harnesses with a bottom bouncer. But I'm posting this here because I really don't know what techniques to try or what a good starting point would be. I know I don't want to troll dipsys since there will be a lot of extra drag and I'll wear myself out paddling.

I'd like to hear some suggestions and opinions from you. Also, if anyone would like to join me out there in your yak let me know! I am going to try going out there a day this week weather and work permitting. I'd go tomorrow but the weather doesn't look good. Possibly Tuesday or Wednesday or both!

Do you have a map you can post that covers the Niagara bar? I'm still trying to figure out and learn all the spots in Niagara myself. I'm wondering if it crosses into the US (if I'm looking at the right area on google). There are some hot spots on the upper Niagara for Musky I want to try this summer, but I'm worried about crossing the boarder without a New York license and passport (I'm thinking about getting both).

I've never found a good map of the bar. But if you look at google earth you can see (kind of) the bottom contour of the lake. The US/ Canada border splits the bar according to the googles satellite image. I never made it out there this week due to a number of factors LOL. But I'm also concerned about being out there without a NY License and I plan on getting one. I already have my Passport. I can see the border using the mapping on my phone so I can be aware of the line while I'm out there. I can also program waypoints along the border on the GPS on my Humminbird.

Archived