Prehistoric Fish

knightfisher

Thought I would share this prehistoric looking fish I caught on the pond
a few days ago. I don't recall seeing a post with pics of local gars caught
in Niagara in recent years. Probably have been, I just don't recall seeing
one.
I have seen gar pike in our local waters over the years, but never managed
to hook into one, until now.
I could not believe how slender/skinny this gar was.
Believe it or not this little guy was 27 inches long.
Very unique looking fish. I also noticed how hard the skin and scales
were on this fish and did not feel any slime like the northern pike.

Apparently there are a few varieties of gar. I'm guessing this is a
spotted gar, but not sure.
Not much of a fight for such a slender fish, and when netted it went totally
docile. Did not move once.

I hope to get into a few more, but understand they can be quite the
challenge to catch, which explains why it took me sooo many years to
finally land one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:Gonefishing:

Not the easiest fish to catch with that long bony snout , filled with needle like teeth ...and lots of them ! The scale pattern is very unique and they are built like a tank . Congrats on landing that thing Dan ! :Gonefishing:

Nice looking gar my buddy caught one in Caledonia on the weekend congrats i have never caught one before i mounted one years ago the scales are just like armor

and yes they have been around since the prehistoric days good job

On my bucket list. Fly anglers often use a length of frayed rope (no hook) as a fly. The teeth get caught in the rope when they grab on. Haven't tried it because I've never come across any to cast to.

Nice! The only time I ever caught one was when I was a kid. Used to fish behind K-Mart on Ontario st. Used to be huge gar in the 12. Would spend the whole day down there fishing. Might have to start targeting them again.

Love it! These guys are amazing creatures. So many in the lower at times poking their heads out of the water. To think that their ancestral line never ended is crazy. Great catch, Dan.

Sight fishing for them is fun, accurate casting is a must. crankbaits work well. cast crank behind fish, try not spooking it with smack down of the bait, reel in the crankbait from behind up parallel to the fish, they'll feel it coming and turn to take out an easy meal, and always keep on that fish if it doesn't take, eventually if you don't spook it you will catch it.

Another cool thing about gar is they can breathe out of water

Thanks guys, it was a thrill catching my first. I wanted to examine it more it was so unique, but got it in the

water right after the pic. Wish I knew their habits, would like to target them more.

If anyone has any info let me know, thanks, pm would be fine.

I have seen large gar in the grand, but I have never targeted them.

Being long and slender, do the put up much of a fight?

Ven

Didn't put up much of a fight at all, and when I saw what I had, I took care not to lose it.

"Didn't put up much of a fight at all" ..... I think they are a little docile now as the water temp. is still cold .The warm water acts like rocket fuel for them & I think of them as fresh water bone fish ......with needle sharp teeth .

I caught a gar last year on the grand river near bing. I was drifting a worm harness and came up with a gar needless to say I was pretty stoked. I have a buddy who targets them on the grand around york this time of year.

Dave

Archived