Bay Of Jordan

YoungYakker

I took the kayak into the bay of Jordan south of the pirate ship for catfish. Worms were unbelievable. I got hit after hit and ran out of a dozen worms before lunch. Just reporting to all the kayakers that can get out near the trestle/train bridge. All that grass and bulrush is hot. I landed 4/6 takes and 2 of the 4 fish landed were 5lb brutes. They fought hard and went under the boat. Heads like softballs! I want a bigger one next time! Bringing two dozen worms next weekend. Weather conditions were sunny with a cool wind not outrageously hot, 20C. 5ft deep so shallow anchors work. I was using an 8ft catfish/carp rod with a bait runner reel--excellent for the kayak because it keeps my bait in position if I move around from the wind but lets the fish run with it while I set the hook. Makes for a great alarm too if you're busy sunbathing! I buy my worms from the Avondale simply because they come in a container that holds the cold in well and I have always had success with those thick long worms you get in there.

Nice job! I love hunting cats in there. You can get the really big ones with cut bait (sucker or the shad that die off each year). I found a stink bait at Canadian tire that works great in there as well.

I tried fresh cut bait and it didn't work before. I have never tried stinky cut bait though. I might give it whorl. I want to ward off the small ones so they can get bigger! I would like to target larger cats. Thanks for the tip GM

Ven, I love it because I am confident that I will not flip. And also I can grab the fish no problem by hand or net. You cant see structure all too well or the fish for that matter but to me it has not affected my ability to land fish.

There's a really good chance I'll be out there night fishing tonight. I don't have to work tomorrow so I might just stay out and fish till after midnight or later. I won't have a data connection out there but if anyone wants to join me I'll be the guy in the Feelfree Lure kayak.

What type of cats are those? A catfish dinner is on my list of things to try this year

Channel cats ...."V" tails ....Try using crank baits ....let them bounce on the bottom . The big cats will hit them .

• 2 weeks later...

Using worms this Friday got me into two big cats. One was 6# the other was 6.5#. Amazing fight as always near the train bridge! I tried cut bait for the first time and it turned up with nothing. Maybe the bait was too big they did not even nibble it. Beginning to only enjoy kayak fishing, slowly forgetting the shore fishing I used to be in love with. Nothing like kayak fishing!

• 2 weeks later...

try chicken liver but let it get stinky first like where you dont even wanna deal with it youll get some 20lbs prolly if their in there still also try by the mouth of the bay if you can go on the lake side

I tried cutbait the other day and got skunked out. Switched to worms after a long while of being patient and got two 6#ers.

I am in my kayak so fishing the lake is only fun on wave free days. which is rare

Try using a stakeout pole or two to keep your kayak stationary. It makes soaking baits for cats much easier when you don't have to worry about boat control. When there's wind driftng can be productive as well.

I have a shallow water anchor but nothing deep enough for the lake. Its not about being stationary but being comfortable and dry in the lake. I have an anchor too but the lake is so damn deep. I wait for the still glass water if I go out on the lake because its usually worse than the creeks and ponds.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be heading out here when they open the gate tomorrow. fishing for catfish with worms then heading into the pirate ship to try for bass. should be a beautiful day for a paddle

Broke my catfish # record. Hooked into a 9#'r yesterday. What a fight. I don't care what anyone says about catfish and carp, they fight amazingly and bringing them in onto a kayak is the most fun ive had. I put a worm on a slip sinker and casted it infront of a fallen dead tree. Within 5 minutes I received subtle hits and then a massive take on the baitrunner. Sniff Sniff BAM! Also caught a few other 2-3#'rs not worth measuring. This big one was 26 inches long. Everytime I go out for catfish I catch a personal best breaker! This season has been nice to me. Released it nice a slow until it splashed to get away from me so someone else can have as much fun as I did.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure the park is closed and the gate is locked close to the main road ( 21st) . I'm not sure if they allow people to enter the park when it's closed . Normal hours for the park are 8 am to 6 pm . The alternative to enter the harbour is to launch at the Beacon marina , providing the lake is not too rough .

I spoke with a guy who is somehow affiliated with the rowers about entering the park when the gate is locked. He said poeople do it all the time without any issues. I usually just drag the yak down to the burnt ship and paddle into the harbour as long the the lake isn't too rough.

Archived