Kayak Drumming And Catting

yakfish

Had a good night on the water last night. Fished from about 6pm to 1am. I started out trying to find pike throwing a Husky Jerk, but I ended up catching several drum. Not sure why more people don't target these fish. They get fairly big and fight extremely well. I had nightcrawlers for bait and caught a dozen or so small cats. Caught a shad too which I used as cutbait and started catching some better quality channels. Probably boated 25+ fish and lost about another 10. Never did see any pike but it was a great night on the water!

I'm going back out there tonight if anybody wants to meet up.

I love the measuring device you have. I have Imperial and Metric measurements on my paddle. How do you stow the measuring board away? It looks clunky.

Those fish though are massive. Must have been an insane fight. And at night even more crazy!! Cant even see anything all the sudden a giant appears at the surface! I might try the night fish soon, after I get some strong flashlights.

You have everything but a camera mount on the yak!

What are those sliding trax mounts you have for the rod holders? They look custom. I have these universal mount plates that come with slides for the trax system. You can pick them up at Outdoors Oriented.

YoungYakker, the measuring board is called a "Hawg Tough" I have an area for gear in the back where I keep it. Its out of the way and within easy reach when I need it. The track mounts are made by Feelfree kayaks specifically for the Lure line of kayaks. they work really well and are easy to reposition wherever I want them. A camera mount is on my list. For night fishing I use a Coleman head lamp. It uses 3 AAA batteries you can get them at Walmart or Canadian Tire for about $20 maybe less.

I went out again last night. Finally hooked up with a couple pike but both came unhooked, one right at the side of the kayak as I was reaching for my net. One bit a blue chrome Husky jerk and the other a Mepps #5 in gold. Got into a few more channels, a carp and two nasty snapping turtles that tried to take my fingers off as I was unhooking them. it was a nice night until about 2am when the rain started. I would have stayed longer as the fish were still biting but I was out of bait anyway.

Nice fish and nice pics as always! My kayak is rigged up for night fishing. I'll have to get out one night, maybe meet up. Where are you getting into Jordan from at night?

Nice fish!

What model fishfinder is that? I am thinking of upgrading my unit. I like the look of the Lowrance Mark 4.

Its a Humminbird Helix 5 SI

Nice fish and nice pics as always! My kayak is rigged up for night fishing. I'll have to get out one night, maybe meet up. Where are you getting into Jordan from at night?

I sent you a PM

Yakfish, you love the nighttime fishing eh?? I am going to have to try it one of these nights. Maybe in the warmer nights of June!

Is that bacon I see in the one mouth of a catfish?

Great looking fish i love the fight that drum give It's funny how people hook a drum and say it's a good one then they get it up to the boat and say man it's

only a sheep's head . Then i would say ya but you didn't complain about the fight it gave you .Ihave seen some big drum out there i catch them trolling in the grand

I wasn't going to, but I went back out again tonight. I was hoping that little bit of rain would have hot the fish more active. But the drop in temps I think had the opposite effect.

The bite was really slow and the fish I managed to catch were very light biters. Ended up with 3 more channels and a small bowfin it maybe small but is a cool fish none the less. No big ones tonight.

On my way home I accelerated to drive up a hill when a hear a loud thud. I looked in my trucks rear view mirror to see my kayak laying in the road. Yep...tonight I was "that guy". I forgot my strap but luckily it was 2:30am and there were no other cars around and I was only going about 20 mph.

IMG_20150527_244139073_zpsleyjwklh.jpg

IMG_20150527_230247955_zpsa9acx6lo.jpg

IMG_20150528_014027787_zpsulpnwzop.jpg

IMG_20150528_241342983_zpshi95vfdh.jpg

I love targeting sheep's head I have a few good spots that produce some good ones in the lower Niagara and the weir in port colborne they put up a good fight when you first hook them and they are always willing to bite. I have never ate them but I also heard that they are good to eat too....

Well, we made it out tonight. We were on the water actually fishing for about and hour and 20 minutes and managed a dozen fish, all cats except for one sheep. All in all a great night. Will post pics soon.

I took a look at the hull in the daylight today and everything looks OK. Barely a scratch. I won't know for sure until I put it in the water next time. Should be fine though. These fishing yaks are built pretty solid.

I'm going back out tonight if anyone wants to meet up. I be hitting the water around 6pm or 7pm staying out until 1am-3am or later if the fish are on! I have lots of cut bait so you wouldn't even have to worry about that.

I just put some reflectors on my yak. Once I get situated with a good nighttime setup I will join you one of these nights

Archived