Why We Kayak Fish

YoungYakker

It 'starts' cheap.....it can get pretty expensive when you start adding things to the boat lol. I started fishing from a canoe when I was younger and lived up north, I've always been a river fisherman mostly. I switched to Kayak a couple years ago because they are lighter and easier to portage. You can also get into areas the boaters can't.

Great for camping/fishing trips as well. If you pack light, you can move along an entire river system. Also much quieter than a boat, so you can sneak up on the fish....it's like hunting.

I can't tell you how many times I've silently coasted past animals along the shore....even here in Welland.

Some pics from last week in the Welland River:

HribKKw.jpg?1

3isW9bt.jpg?1

9J7mF1V.jpg?1

CGixctd.jpg?1

zSdsowP.jpg?1

ZvIx57X.jpg?1

I started kayak fishing in my teens shortly after I started driving. It was a cheap easy way to get on the water with short notice. Then, people really didn't "kayak fish" and there wasn't nearly the options and resources available to kayak fishermen that we have now. My first kayak was a 9.5ft Perception sit-it. I could launch at a river and fish all day and not see another angler. That has really changed over the years and areas like that are becoming harder to find as kayak fishing gains popularity. I probably put 1000 miles on the yak in a decade and a half. I still have it but I upgraded last season to a Feelfree Lure sit-on-top and I love it. I prefer fishing from a kayak to any other type of fishing. There is something different about fighting a fish when you are that close to the water. There is something about having a large fish pull you around in circles. Kayaks have the benefit of being able to be launched with relative ease from nearly anywhere. You can access water the "boat fishermen" just can't get into. I was out fishing yesterday and even on a beautiful Saturday in June I still had the water to myself. Bigger boats have their advantages as well. I'm sure there is a larger boat in my near future that I will spend a considerable amount of time in. But there is something unique about fishing in a kayak.

my doc told me i had to loose my gut (pushing 290). eating right and yaking got me down to 225

kayaking combined fishing and exercise and i found i loved it. my lund has not seen water fishing in 3 years, i really should sell it.

i was carping in hammy harbour today and i had a small turtle twice try to climb up my yak to sun itself. i laughed when it kept sliding off the paddle. it gave up and joined the others on the dead tree

Well once I got my licence I started fishing because it was something new and no one in my family really fished as a constant year-round hobby. Once I fell in love with fishing I had to have a boat. No availability or room for a trailer and boat led me to the kayak on the roof. Best decision I ever made. Its so easy to launch and fish shallow water boats cant get to. One big thing I love about the kayak; I stop thinking about everything when I am out there, just a clear mind is with me. I also love being so close to nature and interacting with life. I love that I found this side to me all on my own. It is not cheap when you have expensive taste in gear. I thought I would spend $1000 and be perfectly comfortable to fish from the kayak. Then there was just small thing after small thing I wanted to make my experience that much more enjoyable. My latest expense was a camera and a mount so I could take better pictures of my fish, myself and the wildlife if I go exploring. Next I want to camp and kayakfish a river system. Need a small compact tent, yet another expense hahaha!

This guy (may be a member here) had a great fishing yak ......he could turn short circles with no effort ....no paddle and could troll at a nice slow steady pace . I never saw one of these before ....obviously a small electric on the back and maybe steering controlled by the feet .....

SAM_6002.JPG

Archived