Northern Ontario Kayak Trips

YoungYakker

Can anyone recommend any lakes up north that are more kayak friendly than big boat friendly? I want to go camping in an area that is not an official campground and is very fun for kayak fishing. Small lakes and rivers would be nice. Places that are not far from Toronto but have that clear bass/pike/walleye/catfish/trout water. I am travelling from St.Catharines and I do not care to drive 5 or 6 hours. 2-4 hours is ideal. Places where you can drive up to the water and come back to the vehicle every night after a day of fishing. Places where staying 3-4 days is ideal. Somewhere totally off the beaten path. I plan on camping out inside my vehicle (comfy/no bugs). Any and all ideas will be researched and greatly appreciated! THANKS!

I'm not sure of any locations in Northern Ontario that fit the bill, but I would recommend checking out the Adirondacks in NY state. If you go to one of the 3 small state campgrounds on Piseco Lake, you'll be just beyond your 4 hour timeframe. The bonus is that nearly every site in the 3 campgrounds is lakefront, so you can be camping right at your kayak and your truck.

If you're not familiar with the Adirondacks its the southernmost extent of the Canadian Shield... when you're there, you think you're in Muskoka, only there's big mountains too. The lake is 1800ft above sea level, so climate wise, its a lot cooler than here... similar to up north, and sometimes even cooler.

Piseco has both a cold water and warm water fishery. It's a pretty big lake, but you can kayak into some smaller waters if you go up Fall Stream or into the Outlet Bay. There's some hike-to brook trout fishing in close proximity from the lake as well. Oxbow Lake is right beside it and is a renowned bass lake. They have a big tournament on Oxbow every summer while I'm up. Panther Mountain is right there which is a short hike with a really good payoff. The views from the top are incredible, despite its small size (it pales in comparison to the 4000ft peaks a little further north).

The three campgrounds are: Point Comfort, Little Sand Point, and Poplar Point... you're probably looking at about $20-25US per night.

Wow thanks a lot for the input! I will definitely look into these spots. Never gave NY a thought but I will now. You make it sound very appealing.

Y not go to algonquin, tons of lakes plus private camping and 3 - 3.5 hrs from st.catharines depends how u drive and traffic. Lots of those lakes r no motors or portage only so gettin swamped by boats shouldnt be an issue

Thanks for the advice! I will look into that too! 3 hours driving fast would be nice. I love spots where no motors are allowed, nice a peaceful and a true nature experience

you could even go as far as temagomi lake region to rabbit lake or one of the other small lakes around temagomi that are perfect for yaks and camp sites along the banks

Archived