Big Pike!

GMGraham

Just got back from a great fishing/camping/kayaking trip up towards the French River. I put this video together of the big guy I caught for your entertainment :lol:.

Had a fun time trying to land him.....

https://youtu.be/awaYkMjj2-4

You almost lost your rod there for a bit! Rod or fish? I say rod lol. There is a mount for the goPro by scotty mounts. I have it but I use a regular waterproof camera because it also has a screw for regular cameras. Invest so your camera stays put! You need a bigger net now that you know you can land those beasts!!! I just got a bigger net because I had the same net as you and it was too small! haha!

I was in awe by that pike though! Awesome size! I couldn't believe the jump it made to escape the boat!

Clearly that area is holding fish! I might do some research and head that way!

Is that a cold steel bird and trout around your neck? I have that too lol

Reminds me of when I went on a canoe trip and caught a 42" buddy had the same net, I'm just like ya don't even try except mine was a 2 min fight and tired right out. That's first jump at ya made me jump wasn't expecting that lol. Beauty fish

You almost lost your rod there for a bit! Rod or fish? I say rod lol. There is a mount for the goPro by scotty mounts. I have it but I use a regular waterproof camera because it also has a screw for regular cameras. Invest so your camera stays put! You need a bigger net now that you know you can land those beasts!!! I just got a bigger net because I had the same net as you and it was too small! haha!

I was in awe by that pike though! Awesome size! I couldn't believe the jump it made to escape the boat!

Clearly that area is holding fish! I might do some research and head that way!

Is that a cold steel bird and trout around your neck? I have that too lol

I totally almost lost my rod, I didn't expect to hook such a monster as quickly as I did that day. I scoped the place out first and had a good idea of where I thought one might be, and it didn't take long from there. My go pro was screwed down tight, the weight of the fish pushed it backwards in it's mount, I might not have tightened it enough at the pivot.

That is a Cold Steel bird and trout knife, good eye. It's the best knife I've ever owned. You must have good taste, same knife....and same life jacket lol.

This is exactly why I want to invest in a cradle. I think it would make landing the bigger fish a bit easier. I could have fought him a bit longer too, but he looked like he had given up and I was just to excited at the time. Once I got the hook out, I made the mistake of lowering him into the kayak as I tried to put my rod in the rod holder behind me, that was enough to give him the leverage for one big push off the bottom of the kayak and past my face and out of the boat.

I've caught a lot of Pike over the years, from land and canoe, but this was by far the most exciting and probably the biggest I've caught like that, wish I could have got a measurement.

Nice fish! Is that on the Pikerel River? I've got a cottage on the French.

I'll send you a PM

Every experience teaches you something and you realize what you need next time!

Watch how tight you tighten those plastic mounts. I can see the plastic snapping under pressure. Especially with my experience with goPro... just junky plastic..

A quick way to get a rough measurement of a fish is put a few pieces of tape or markings on your paddle at the 24" and 36" marks, maybe 48" if you're confident!! For me my paddle has inch and metric across the length of it to make my life easier but I was going to use markings before I bought I seen the paddle!

That's a good idea about the paddle. I need to upgrade mine, maybe I'll look into one of those. It's crazy how the gopro plastic can be so junky when it costs so much eh?

I hate goPro for that reason amongst many others. Nothing like my durable and waterproof Fujiflim XP.

My paddle is the bending branches angler paddle. High end no BS

Archived