Spring Steel Post

Craiger

Hey guys how's it going? I haven't posted much lately because I haven't really been tying much or even have time to fish. Just wanted to do a post to see how all you fly guys made out this spring. Let's see some posts with pics and flies etc. Opening day I managed to get out until noon and did pretty good. I got this fly idea from my buddy Steve Wolcott and I'm glad I copied it to the best of my ability. The air was cold and the water was still frigid. Walked into the water and believed that fly was going to produce. I hooked 3 and landed 2 on this fly...

utf-8BMTA4NTI4OTRfMTU4MDczODg4MjE0OTI3MV

utf-8BSU1HXzIwMTUwNDI3XzAwMTIxMDMzLmpwZw

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTUwNDI1LTAwMDU0LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTUwNDI1LTAwMDU1LmpwZw_zps

I then switched to a black fly with orange and copper body and a bunch of rubber silly legs on it. Don't have a pic of that fly but it just makes a big profile with a lot of movement. I hooked 2 and landed 1 on that fly. All the fish were taken on an aggressive fast swing which is the way I prefer to fish. The takes are usually very hard!!

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTUwNDI1LTAwMDU2LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTUwNDI1LTAwMDU3LmpwZw_zps

I then was able to sneak down to the niagara for 3 hours one morning while in town for my daughter's dance competition. I hooked 2 and landed one that day. That was it for my spring steelhead season.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTUwNTAyLTAwMDY4LmpwZw_zps

Cheers

Craig

Nice going Craig. Have to admit Steve tyes some pretty awesome flies...wish i had his skill. My spring was very short just opener day and that was it. Fished the east with my brother and hooked a fair number of fish....but nothing compared to other years. The following week we chartered a friends boat in Naples and hooked a bunch of fish...including a 75lb and 125lb tarpon and easily over 50 snook and a few Jack Crevals. Got home my computer died...and meesed with that but its still not right. Been going non stop on a major kitchen reno on a 106 yr old home. Hoping i will be ready for the fall...anytime you want to try a drift day let me know i could use the advice from someone who produces on the swing. ....back to work now..lol

Thanks guys, glad you liked them. I don't have an SBS for that first fly yet but when I do whip up a few more I'll make sure to take some pics of all the steps and make a post. Cheers guys

Nice fish.

I always take pride in catching fish on my own tied flies. You must be the same.

I have always been amazed on how well the color blue works in attracting fish, as your first fly and fish can attest to.

Ven.

PS. I plan on trying to copy that fly.

Would you mind providing the tying details?

Archived