World Carp Derby

smerchly

I saw this on another fishing board & copied the link from the source .....

We have a very healthy carp population in Ontario & more anglers are joining the fun catching these beasts . Some anglers refer to them as "game" fish . The word game can mean " fighting ability " & carp fit that description well ....e.g.....a 10 lb.carp will scrap better than a 10 lb. walleye . Carp derbies are run with extreme care for the fish & and the environment after the derby is done .

After reading this , I am losing faith in our government/MNR as a viable body in care of our natural resources ( fishing & hunting) . .....and that is not a good thing !

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Cut_the_Carp

They still can host the tournament but can not use two rods per angler while fishing from shore which is our law here in Ontario. MNR rejected the request for them to use two rods per angler during the tournament which makes sense to me.

wow eh that's unbelievable... don't they realize people break that rule on a regular basis. Whats the problem with an event breaking a rule for a short period. If it benefits Ontario why the hell not!

A simple exemption was required from the Ministry. You know, like how they let TV hosts fish in areas the general populace can't. But they won't allow two rods to tourmanent participants in a Wold Fishing Championship. Daft!

How did that conversation go? "I'm sorry but you can't use two rods to fish for carp in Ontario. Oh, but feel free to spear them and use them to fertilize your rose bushes!"

wow eh that's unbelievable... don't they realize people break that rule on a regular basis. Whats the problem with an event breaking a rule for a short period. If it benefits Ontario why the hell not!

I agree .....we can use two rods each and run 4 lures for salmon when fishing from boats . Carp can be slaughtered with bows ...no limit and no proper disposal in the regs . The carp will all be released . We toss millions of bucks into "games" like the Pan AM and will probably lose millions after it's over , but we snub the chance to bring in millions for a world class derby .They can change the one pole limit for a carp derby ! ....Next on the agenda .....no more conservation fishing licenses ? That will bring in some more cash ......

Yes it is unbelievable. I thought that resources were supposed to be managed for the benefit of the people of Ontario. I guess the money and global recognition are not considered benefits . Well spoken Bill.

steelshady. Perhaps you are not familiar how carp tournaments are run. In this case a two man team draws a number that corresponds to a numbered marker on the bank called a peg. This is the spot from which they must fish. They get so many feet to the left and right of the peg but that is it for the next five days. Having 4 rods, two per angler allows them to explore all the possibilities in front of them . The equipment used, bait runner reels with sophisticated electronic bite alarms assures that fish that take the bait are attended to in a timely fashion . This is a standard practice for these tournaments world wide. Their fish handling and care are the best the world has to offer and their record of released fish surviving puts bass, walleye and any other species specific fish tournaments to shame. This was an opportunity to see the best in the world and see how it is done and our government blew it.

I was hoping Lorne ( hammercarp) would reply to this . He is very knowledgeable with carp fishing and has participated in many carp derbies ....and he got me on the right path to enjoy carp fishing . For a beginner like me , a strong rod & reel , hook & sinker ,& a can of corn will get you some great excitement . I think it would be great to see the pros in action at Hamilton Harbour and worth the trip to see the action of these guys hauling in some 30 lb.+ carp , and checking out the rigs and baits of all sorts, and reading what the other countries have to say about their fishing escapades in Canada . There's always some hope the MNR will reconsider .......

I love my conservation fishing licence lol I hope it doesn't get abolished!

It is probably just easier to say no than yes for the MNR...

Only thing I have to say about the two rod deal is that if they were to grant the tournament two rods. Then why is it that carp fisherman in Ontario can't do that. Same argument as to why italo and others can fish the falls and yet we can't.

Exceptions can be made for special events because they are controlled by the rules of the events and every angler is being watched by the managers of the event ,and by each other . Using two rods any other time could cause too many headaches for the angler & the mnr if two rods were used for catching other species of fish (solo fishing), or when both rods caught a large fish simultaneously . Compare this derby to ice fishing where 2 rods are used because the water covered is very limited .....same with the carp anglers ....one spot on the shore , unlike other fishing tournaments where we can run boats for miles or change spots on shore frequently ......

I would of loved to fish/volunteer this event. Hopefully they will change there mind

volunteer maybe...but this is an event that you must qualify for, and that I know of there are no qualifying tourneys in North America.

Archived