Local B&t's Vs Bass Pro

bigdog

Hey Gang,

Since the BPS has been here for a couple months and we are well into the fishing season, I wanted to hear everyone's feedback on the new store.

I still head to Peter's first, but I have gone to BP for the harder to find stuff. My last 2 Ci4's came from Pete's and a Lew's Crank rod. It's still my number one destination...I've been a customer for about 20 years and will continue to be in the years to come. However, Peter's doesn't carry camping, hunting, clothing and the other stuff from BPS, so I stop in from time to time.

So what are you thoughts? Keep it fairly positive - negatives are welcome, but don't bash anyone for the sake of bashing. I have no affiliation with either, I am just curious to hear your thoughts. Especially from the guys that commented on the "knowledge of the staff"!

I will start:

My Local - They know my name and my game. Great old school feel that comes with the local B&T. Ask about tourneys, how fishing was, how my kids are. They know what I fish for, brands I prefer and techniques I fish. Bring up new product that I will be interested in. Bulk soft plastics. Competitive pricing. Knowledgeable. Great people. My kids like to go see the dog and look at the bait.

Limited stock and brands - may not carry the specifics I am looking for. ie., technique specific rods, smaller rod/lure companies and higher end product. Only carry fishing related products (which isn't a bad thing) Farther drive for me, I have no LOCAL in my area.

BPS - Really cool store. Well maintained. Can take the kids and they don't mind going to see the "stuffed animals" and fish tank. All sorts of products besides just fishing related items. Good sales on non-fishing related products. Carry almost all the major brands. Knowledgeable staff. Great outdoor gear selection - apparel ,accessories and so on.

Doesn't have the traditional B&T feel. They don't know me personally. They don't offer me up the new stuff based on my likes. Higher prices than the average. Don't carry everything (fishing related) I still need to search other places. No bulk soft plastics. House brands are knock-offs of other established brands - they seem to copy popular products and put them out for a cheaper price and I have never been a fan of that...unless it's Presidents Choice cause they make tasty stuff!!!

Those are my thoughts and my opinions - share yours. Like I said, I'm just interested in the feedback from everyone.

So far I've only had a need for the many "other" things that BPS carries. They certainly don't carry a good selection of ultra light lines for the pannie enthusiast. Some BPS staff are good, no ifs ands or buts. Some leave me less than impressed. Same is true for anywhere I have shopped.

I shop at both but have to watch BPS prices eg needed some of the offshore tackle OR16 releases BPS $25.00 Petes $10.00 cheaper On the other hand I needed a new Mercury 8hp Kicker motor BPS was hundreds cheaper then any where locally.

I have my opinions on Bass pro...i dont like the fact that they still dont have an exclusive Canadian website and much of thier advertising is pro American. They dont stock or carry everything thier website lists online and id rather shop local ma / pa shops. Having said that im sitting here with a bass pro gift card...that i will use. Im not going out of my way thats for sure. Same goes for stores like home depot....id rather shop rona over them. Target was a perfect example of not opening and targeting Canadians, i knew they would go under from my first visit there. I actually prefer Sail over Bass pro...but i have a few friends that operate thier own stores so usually try to support them even if they are more expensive i enjoy the personal attention and good conversations.

My opinion is this, my local B&T,s provide me with all my Live bait, if I was to purchase my tackle needs from the big box store my B&T's may not survive. Where do you go for bait? As Big Dog mentioned its nice to go to the B&T and receive the personal greets get the local updates what is happening. Support your local B&T

Note: On most occasions the B&T's will match the price within a few dollars or better. Considering the time and distance for me to get to the big box stores the Locals will get my $$$$

I go to my local guy, if he doesn't have what I'm looking for I ask if he can order it for me.

Most times he'll price match or give me a better deal.

Plus my local guy has local fishing info and updates.

I have been to BPS, nice store but their prices are a little higher than my local guy.

....".the big fish eats the little fish until there are no more little fish" . Comparing BPS to Peter's or Grimsby Tackle is like comparing 7-11 to Zehrs . We can't expect the small local shops to compete with the huge bulk buying methods of giants like Cabellas or BPS . If we lose the small shops we can expect prices to rise when the big players like BPS are the only place in town to buy our goods . I patronize gas stations that serve ME ....not me serving them to save a penny a liter , but too many people could care less if they lose their jobs . We shop/buy for convenience these days . I checked out the new BP store ....ya, nice set up & if I can't get something at Peters I will go to BPS . As Big Dog said , they know me and it's a pleasure to shop and chat . The last time I was a Peters , they helped me match up a carp rod and bait runner reel & spooled it up to the right amount with the proper mono line to grip the spool .....excellent service by people who are knowledgeable and friendly . I like to support the "little guy" , like I did an hour ago ......bought some fish & chips from Beamsville Fish'nChips rather than from the big chains .

Bps is a nice place to hangout in the winter... That is all lol I'll go to Pete's or Fishing World any day over BPS, if there is something you can't find at Peters it will be at Fishing World no doubt! The in store knowledge and accommodation for the Jr Bassmasters always brings me back to these places and they almost always have sales of soft plastics which is great! Rod selection is also by far better at these stores

95% local shop, anything else I go to Sail. I have only been to the new BP once, and found that a lot of stuff seem very expensive for a big box store, Sail when compared is cheaper. My local shop same prices as BP or on some items cheaper. I guess it could also be to the fact I mostly fly fish, and BP lacks in that area Sail on the other hand has a lot more fly gear.

But it is a "pretty" store.

Agree on the no Canadian Site.

I have my opinions on Bass pro...i dont like the fact that they still dont have an exclusive Canadian website and much of thier advertising is pro American. They dont stock or carry everything thier website lists online and id rather shop local ma / pa shops. Having said that im sitting here with a bass pro gift card...that i will use. Im not going out of my way thats for sure. Same goes for stores like home depot....id rather shop rona over them. Target was a perfect example of not opening and targeting Canadians, i knew they would go under from my first visit there. I actually prefer Sail over Bass pro...but i have a few friends that operate thier own stores so usually try to support them even if they are more expensive i enjoy the personal attention and good conversations.

X2 it's really annoying with no canadian website.

I only go to BP when I have gift cards kicking around, or if I need something more exotic. But generally, it's Bill's, Grimsby T, or sail for my regular gear, and Grindstone angling or The first cast for fly gear. I'll probably be in BP soon to use up my gift cards on a new rod case - my current one is about 2" too short for a rod.

X3 with the no canadian site thing. Even cabelas has one, and they have 1 or 2 (?) less canadian stores. The first time I was in the NOTL BP, I asked a young guy where the waders would be. Long story short, he didn't have a clue what waders were...

I have wandered through BPS a few times ...

I cannot say I have been impressed with prices (non-sale items) or the customer service side of things (I have not interacted with any of the NFN members who work there to my knowledge).

But we all must remember that BPS is not for the hardcore anglers, BPS is for Joe Weekend and families. BPS' location is out of the way for most of us, unless you are going from St Kitts to the river, or the Falls to Port Dalhousie for the most part. Fishing specific stores tend to be intimidating, especially if you are not a regular at the store based on the stories I have read here and my personal experiences.

I find my self in bass pro maybe 2-3 times a month and that's because my son age 5, and daughter age 2 love seeing the tank and the boats and well the environment. As far as purchases go sometimes it's a shirt that the kids want or hat, I'll walk up and down the lure isles and pick up some senkos, or hooks but nothing major or expensive, my wife bought me the fryer that was on sale for fathers day $39.99, I think that's the most We've spent in there. Rods and reels will always be local ma n pa stores.

I felt the same way about the website, both because of the american pricing, and that every free shipping offer was closed to Canadians. Recently though, they have started offering free shipping to Canada. Maybe the times are changing.... I still view the website and the store as almost separate companies. It's (relatively) easy to keep a few central warehouses stocked with everything you offer, but to keep all the regional stores stocked and effectively displaying everything becomes a lot more difficult.

Cabela's does even worse with the website in my opinion. They have a Canadian website, but you can only get half the line they offer in the US. I'd rather look at the US site then.

I think Southern Ontario is a tough market for a retailer like that to read. The pricing for goods in Canada tends to be higher, but at a certain point in this area people will have had enough and just drive across the boarder to buy something if they want it bad enough. I've seen it with tooling where to purchase a lathe in Canada is $2000, to purchase the same lathe with a different paint scheme/badge across the border is $1000. It's not like areas further north where gas money and time make a trip to the US less likely.

I have looked up a few small things on the BP website to see if they stocked them. I was surprised to find them in the store for same price as the website as I thought the prices were in US dolars. The items were $4. May that makes a difference.

if you are looking to support your local small shop but get the better big box store prices always ask if they will price match. As a small retailer myself i fully understand that most people are looking for the best deals. It will not hurt to ask.

I only go to BP when I have gift cards kicking around, or if I need something more exotic. But generally, it's Bill's, Grimsby T, or sail for my regular gear, and Grindstone angling or The first cast for fly gear. I'll probably be in BP soon to use up my gift cards on a new rod case - my current one is about 2" too short for a rod.

X3 with the no canadian site thing. Even cabelas has one, and they have 1 or 2 (?) less canadian stores. The first time I was in the NOTL BP, I asked a young guy where the waders would be. Long story short, he didn't have a clue what waders were...

Cabelas's Canada is run as a separate company than Cabela's US. BPS Canada is run just like they are in the US - prices adjusted for currency exchange.

I felt the same way about the website, both because of the american pricing, and that every free shipping offer was closed to Canadians. Recently though, they have started offering free shipping to Canada. Maybe the times are changing.... I still view the website and the store as almost separate companies. It's (relatively) easy to keep a few central warehouses stocked with everything you offer, but to keep all the regional stores stocked and effectively displaying everything becomes a lot more difficult.

Cabela's does even worse with the website in my opinion. They have a Canadian website, but you can only get half the line they offer in the US. I'd rather look at the US site then.

I think Southern Ontario is a tough market for a retailer like that to read. The pricing for goods in Canada tends to be higher, but at a certain point in this area people will have had enough and just drive across the boarder to buy something if they want it bad enough. I've seen it with tooling where to purchase a lathe in Canada is $2000, to purchase the same lathe with a different paint scheme/badge across the border is $1000. It's not like areas further north where gas money and time make a trip to the US less likely.

US and CAN pricing is pretty relative when it comes to fishing - but the price is a little higher because of a 25% exchange rate, tariffs, shipping and other red tape!

My personal peave with bass pro was when i was logged into basspro.ca and was looking for a pair of salt flats boots. It showed them as being in stock. Made the drive from Cambridge to vaughan mills at the time to buy the boots. Again it was gift cards i had...get there after the hour long drive only to find out they dont stock them in Canada. I asked to see the manager...told him that i just drove an hour because i saw them listed as in stock on basspro.CA? Well sorry sir...we dont carry those here. Ok so when do you plan on having a website that caters to your CANADIAN customers? Ill make note of that sir....sorry about that as he walks away. It was then i decided id had enough of these anti Canadian pro American big box stores even if i have to pay more...i avoid them unless its only to wander around and show the grand kids the fishtank.

I prefer to shop at Petes. I do go to BPS to buy my charcoal and grab whatever baits Petes does not carry. I've had one bad experience at Petes, that sent me to BPS to buy what I wanted.

My favourite thing about Bass Pro Shop is the tank, and the Mounted Bowfin (didn't think such a thing existed).

I definitely prefer the authentic feel of Peter's tackle much more and they keep adding to the carp stuff :D. It is also much closer to my work, and I've been going there since I started fishing.

Archived