Feathers

Tom S

I was given a handful of Lady Amherst tail feathers and some ostrich herl. It's not super high quality, but after a wash I can see some good pieces. It's more than I can use, so I'll offer it up here.

Send me a PM if your are interested in a piece. I'm in Cayuga, but if you're willing to make the drive or send me an envelope it's free for the taking.

great offer Tom. Brian is a cool guy, so let him have them. I don't even know what a feather feels like I been so busy working.

Brian, you have a PM.

Gunner, depending on what someone's tying they can be looking for a whole variety of feathers. I've got a guy who saves a few turkey for me every year, both tails and some body feathers. He also got me a wood duck this year, I still need to sort though it. Trouble is for the more desirable feathers you need to know what you're looking for, such as matched pairs of bronzed mallard. I've had guys give me grocery bags of feathers from when they plucked the birds, but it's so much of a hassle to sort through all the down and underfeathers I usually end up just tossing it.

I have asked for bucktail before, but unless it's cleaned properly and dealt with quickly it become a rancid mess.

You can use pretty well anything that flies or walks on 4 legs for tying. Rabbit fur is especially useful. So is raccoon, fox, skunk, deer, elk and moose. As for feathers, yes you can use any feather, but some of course are more versatile than others. Rooster neck hackles and pheasant (any part of the pheasant), peacock and ostrich herl and goose biots are all especially versatile.

Ok the reason i was asking is that i get a lot of scrap furs/hair and feathers that just get tossed if you guys need any thing just pm me and i can see if i have it and if i don't most likely

can get it

I'm always on the lookout. Lately I'm running low on squirrel (black and grey), and polar bear. But somehow I don't think you'll come across a lot of polar bear.

Stuff I've always wanted to try working with or haven't had in a while:

Red fox (especially female fox from the hind-quarters).

Porcupine quills.

Badger underfur.

Natural turkey biots.

Black bear.

Possum.

Lots more, but all this is stuff I'm either out of or have not had a chance to work with.

Archived