Not Good

gunner-2

I hope they cannot survive the cold winter water temperatures of the Great Lakes . As was stated in the article , there are people who believe releasing them alive will ward off evil spirits or help win the lottery .......Any one caught doing this should be jailed for a long time .....and fed carp everyday ......

I hope they cannot survive the cold winter water temperatures of the Great Lakes . As was stated in the article , there are people who believe releasing them alive will ward off evil spirits or help win the lottery .......Any one caught doing this should be jailed for a long time .....and fed carp everyday ......

agreed smerch it's hard to say how they got there hope there's no more after the first vid there are more to fallow might learn more or not

The ones found were grass carp. They're not related to the bighead (Asian) carp that is dangerously invasive. I'm no biologist but from what I understand grass carp are sterile. My in-laws put some in their pond several years ago to control weed growth. They never reproduced.

Bighead carp are filter feeders. They will clean out the zooplankton which is the foundation of a fisheries ecosystem. This is why the are so dangerous. Grass aren't much different from the common carp that we all target.

These fish are male and were fertile and from what i herd from the vid that they will cause a big problem. I love fishing for common carp but they are destructive enough

i can't see these fish not being no worse the a common carp there not on high alert for nothing This is just my opinion not striking any one down

The ones found were grass carp. They're not related to the bighead (Asian) carp that is dangerously invasive. I'm no biologist but from what I understand grass carp are sterile. My in-laws put some in their pond several years ago to control weed growth. They never reproduced.

Grass carp are not sterile ... or else how would they continue to live and be around. There are areas where they are sterile due to various means so they do not get out of control.

"When used for weed control, often the fish introduced to the pond or stream are sterile, triploid fish. The process for producing triploid fish involves shocking eggs with a rapid change in temperature or pressure. This process is not usually 100% effective, so the young are usually tested for triploidy before being sold"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_carp

I don't believe any species is %100 sterile. The point is that they don't reproduce at the same rate as the Asian Big Head carp that we NEED to be concerned with. They also do not decimate the bottom of the food chain like bighead carp. The level of concern over grass isn't even in the same spectrum as bighead carp. But the term "Asian carp" scares people. To use that term in the article is somewhat irresponsible. Even though it my not be false it causes fear for a fishery. Maybe that's the whole point...I don't know.

Agree but just like the vid said hopefully there was no females with them

This is sad. Toronto is such a nice place. There is already enough problems... we have enough invasion!

• 2 weeks later...

Even if they are fertile grass carp require a specific set of factors to spawn successfully. They cannot reproduce in Lake Ontario. The need flowing water that moves at a certain speed for the right distance. I have read that it is challenging to get them to breed.

I hope they are different from commons because in the spring I always see a festival of carp spawning and there is no flowing water there...Just a carp orgy in the mud

YY Yes they are different. The troubling part for me is, as Snags stated the grass carp are triploids that are released into ponds and reservoirs for weed control. Where did someone in Toronto get a hold of live fertile grass carp. That's assuming they were released there.

Looking at google maps ... if it is the pond I think it is, I doubt they could make it to the lake unless they learned to crawl ... but it is very close, whoever released it may have thought it was the lake they were releasing it into.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody hear about a grass carp caught in Jordan Harbour a couple of weeks ago?

I'm surprised that this hasn't gotten any attention from anyone. We're there pictures taken ? Or was this by word of mouth ?

I have fished there lately but no other anglers were present in my area . I hope the carp was reported and possibly frozen for the MNR to examine if possible ......I would certainly like to know if these carp are in there .

The problem when a recreational angler catches one, they may just think it to be a common carp or something else. Hopefully after the scare in TO, people start researching what they all look like, and learn how to properly report them.

PS: I'm part of the TRCA monitoring division that has caught the carp. I wasn't on the boats when these were caught however, I was E-Fishing on Frenchmans when they were caught.

From what I have researched these Grass Carp sighting go back to the 80's, at least according to the TRCA.

http://trca.on.ca/news-media/news/releases/33600

Obviously they are not the prolific invasive fish that the sensationalist media portrays them. The horse is and has been out of the barn for some time with respect to them and you can't close it now. Please, all the "Chicken Littles " please stop with the headline news every time one is captured. The other filter feeding Asian Carp deserve our attention though. As Yakfisher says they were used previous to the 2004 ban as an eviromentally friendly , biological weed control , more are going to turn up.

Archived