Charles Daly Park

hammercarp

I have seen guys fishing from shore in these spots near the mouths of the creeks. They say they catch carp but I have never actually seen people pulling fish in. But I do not hang around. The fish go in and out of the mouths when the tide changes I imagine. Making it a good spot to chum. Nice beach to sunbathe on and wide open area lots of room for multiple anglers. There was even a carp competition held there. Bivvys and all!

I fished there today Lorne . I went to the west pond (16 Mile) & used corn on a hair - bolt rig ....no bites at all ,but saw a few carp jumping . Maybe a pack bait & puff would have been better this time of the season . There is no outflow to the lake at all . Carpers like to fish the lake side when there is pond water flowing into the lake . The wind was west today , creating some chop on the lake & the water was very clear . I was tempted to give it a try but was getting hot and hungry . The water drops off very gradual at both the 15 & 16 beaches . ....it doesn't change much at 50 yards or 75 yards ...about 4 to 5 ft. deep . When we get a south/west wind I want to try the lake side .

The carp anglers can toss their baits close to 100 yds. where it may be 5'-6' deep , but I have seen the carp in 3 ft along the rocks when the water was clear and flat ....very easy to spot them from the higher banks . I'll be tossing the bait as far as I can get the maize out with my new super duper wammo sling shot ....hoping to get it out to 75 yds . I'll try from the rocks near the parking lot very soon .

Outside of port dalhousie .... the lake is shallow for a few hundred feet out ... occaisonally there can even be sand bars a hundred feet out (port wellar beach west of canal). Havent seen one in a few years but they pop up.

Outside of port dalhousie .... the lake is shallow for a few hundred feet out ... occaisonally there can even be sand bars a hundred feet out (port wellar beach west of canal). Havent seen one in a few years but they pop up.

We used to swim at 6 beaches locally ....from east to west .....Jones Beach , Municiple Beach , Michigan Beach (now a marina) , Lakeside Park Beach (Port) , Charles Daley Beaches , and Jordan Harbour Beach . I found the beaches like CDP & Jordan were deeper and colder . Over the years depths may have changed due to run off buildup . The fishing certainly has changed with the introduction of new species and of course , the invasive intruders that have changed the eating habits of our fish . Could it be that carp are also feeding on zebra mussels where most rocks are present along the shore line ?

Thanks Tyler ....good info ! Did I happen to give you the gps location to that nice shady spot ? B)

.....here's a picture of Mazz with a nice one at CDP . The water vis. was the same yesterday , nice and clear . ...hoping to give it a try soon ....conditions look good , just need a lot of patience ...

Picture405_zps3dce809d.jpg

I gave it a go today ...lake was very calm & clear . I had some frozen maize left over in a plastic bag to use for chum & broke off a piece a little smaller than a gulf ball ....fired it out with the sling shot , & it easily went out close to 100 yds !! Can't get the loose corn to go that far ! I tossed the line out about 70 yds ....felt like about 4 ' deep , gave it 2 hrs ., & notta sniff . So I went over to the pond for another 2 hrs.....a few small nibbles on the corn but no carp .....saw 2 jump in the pond , & lots of bait fish breaking the surface . It was hot & very humid , until the skies darkened & lightening /thunder clouds rolling in... beckoned me to run for the hill to the truck....just in time before it poured like crazy . Not having any luck with the big beasts ! Next trip I'll try the pack bait & corn puffs .

....a few shots of todays escapade ......

lake flat as p.o.a.p., & foggy

SAM_6258.JPG

cool clear water

SAM_6257.JPG

...the usual....3 balls of mono , cans/bottles in weeds , tackle packages , butts , fire pit with half burnt wood & garbage ( signs in the park say no burning fires , not even charcoal , must use propane ). Also found a receipt from bass pro ...$45 for plastics & lures .

SAM_6265.JPG

time to leave .......

SAM_6267.JPG

Love the pictures. I haven't been out fishing in general for a few weeks now. August carp exist?

Smerchly, is that you in your picture? I swear I spoke to someone in a red canoe that looked just like you. They rolled up on me in my green camo fishing yak

Yes, that handsome dude is the Smerch . Not moi in the canoe YY .....if I was in a canoe it would more than likely have Knightfisher as the pilot . :)

Archived